Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found this little guy crossing (or hobbling across) a street a few blocks away from our home. He was holding one leg up and looked malnourished from 30 feet away in the car, and after watching for a while and seeing that no one was with him, I decided to act.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves regarding his condition:

There's a missing claw on the foot he won't walk on much, and his other claws are obviously out of control. His tail is bare and actually zig-zags near the middle but I couldn't get a picture because he obviously doesn't like it touched. His ears look like caterpillar-eaten leaves and he's bare of fur on all four legs. It's just skin over bones. I'm not sure if that's normal or not because I've never even met a Chihuahua before today.

It would be great if someone could tell me if this dog looks of any certain age. We live in the middle of no where and vets won't be open until Monday, so it's just us and this little scrap until then. We've given him some soft food and water, which he inhaled, and I'm going to give him a safe bath and a toenail clip.

He's extremely friendly. Loves being pet. What makes me sick is that he smells like a home... which can only mean that someone was consciously allowing him to get this way. I'm a little lost as to what to do about all of it.

Once again I'm unfamiliar with Chihuahuas, so I don't know bad his condition is by looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
omg what a poor wee soul he looks in a bad way are you gonna keep him ?looks like he needs someone to care for him and get him back to health

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I know Mandy, i cant bare it!
Looks like he was found just in time.
There is no way he should ever go back to the folk that did this!!
Pure neglect!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
That just makes me want to sit here and cry. He is badly malnourished and obviousely hasnt been taken care of properly in a long time,if he ever was. Isnt it amazing that they can still be friendly even after being treated so poorly?
I would report this to a animal control center or police station or something. His ears look like hes been in fights with other dogs and his ears have been biten.

I'm so glad you took him in and are taking care of him, just be careful when having him on a collar with a leash as you can hurt his trachea without meaning too. There needs to be more people in this world that would take a dog like that in, and not just turn the other way.
Good Luck, and keep us updated !

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
welcome to the forum :) what a sad story :( im so glad you found him and are taking care of him, theres plenty of advice on the forum here but i think you are doing everything right, the "owners" dont deserve to have a beautiful chi like him. keep us posted after you have been to the vets xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys, he really is a sweetheart.

I just really wish I had some way of telling how old he is. He won't let me get a look at his teeth or anything like that.

I live in southeast Michigan, by the way. South of Detroit. Also, the leash we've been using for him is our ferret leash, which is very elastic and helps to control that jerky leash whiplash. He doesn't pull or anything anyway, though.

I also can't tell if he should have longer fur. It's definitely not "short hair" by the feel of it. Perhaps he was shaved? It's very.. fuzzy.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
He's extremely friendly. Loves being pet. What makes me sick is that he smells like a home... which can only mean that someone was consciously allowing him to get this way. I'm a little lost as to what to do about all of it.

Once again I'm unfamiliar with Chihuahuas, so I don't know bad his condition is by looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ok first welcome to the forum. Second you are a wonderful person to
rescue this poor lost chi.

Now down to business: I would suggest water in small amounts
or some chips of ice incase the pup is dehydrated. You don't want to let the chi over drink and get sick. Next some small amounts of moist food>>>chicken, cold cuts, cheese, or puppy food >>>anything gentle on it's tummy in small amounts. In haling the food and water will lead to an upset stomach for sure. A warm blanket and box, basket or something similar for a bed in a quiet place>>>perhaps with a night light. As for a bath a mild baby shampoo or puppy shampoo for sensitive skin as it's skin is very dirty, and it looks like it might be very irritated. As for the nail clippings have someone help you. The chi is probably going to be nervous and scared while you do it seeing how it has been neglected for a while. BTW that fur condition is not normal so that along needs to be checked out. As for the pups ears I wouldn't try to clean them with q tips but maybe wipe them with a warm, damp cloth very gently.

Please keep us updated ....and get him/her checked by a vet ASAP.

if you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me....
anytime>>>1-518-986-2830 my name is Laura
and I would be glad to help you any way possible.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Laura, you're such an angel. I was just going back to this thread and realized that I hadn't given any advice. Great suggestions. Would have totally given the same ideas. Hope this angel can start feeling better. Yea, he must have mange or something for all that lost fur. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think my posts are going through because of the spam filter, but thank you for the advice, Laura. We gave him some easy-on-the-stomach wet food in tiny bits and let him have a few drinks of water every so often. I wasn't sure if that was what should be done, but it seemed right at the time so I'm glad I went with it!

I also did have some help with the nails. I can tell you right now he was NOT pleased with me for it, but he can now walk without them getting in his way. He doesn't seem to want to see me though, so I've left him in our heated bedroom with the cuddliest blanket we have. He seems content to nap in there with the Halloween lights glowing through the window.. and he already looks just a bit better, having eaten something.

I have puppy shampoo on hand, and I'll be giving him a warm bath after he's had some time to relax and get comfortable. I can't find any fleas and the spots in the pictures on his coat aren't missing fur but dirty spots and markings, from what I can see. The only place he's missing any is his bare legs and tail, poor thing. What fur he does have across his body actually feels surprisingly soft and pretty full.

No one has any idea on how old he looks to be?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
poor furbaby...keep us posted on progress..got any pedialyte? and definitely need to supplement with Nutrical...he needs some fattening up. I'd hate to think someone was cruel enough to keep him this way...if they ever showed up..they'd be charges filed pronto if I even claimed to have him!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.