Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have a few concerned questions about my dog.

I have a 1 year old Chihuahua that is a complete sweetheart. She never bites, growls, or shows any form of aggression towards anyone. Which is why I am concerned that today she had two episodes where she was extremely angry and bit me to the point where she drew blood, she's also constantly panting with seemingly labored breathing (and despite being hot and panting she chooses to remain underneath the comforter), lethargy and has a possible fever. Her teats also appear to be swollen, she keeps licking them and her legs. She is up to date on all her shots and is not pregnant.

I don't know if this helps but it's worth mentioning that yesterday I bundled her up and took her briefly outside in the snow, (for about a minute because soon enough she began crying due to leg pain from an injury when she was younger and I took her back inside), so maybe she caught something from the cold? I don't know.

I greatly appreciate any advice offered, I just want her to get better.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Has she been in season recently? If so get her to a vets ASAP, sounds like it could be pyometra, a potentially fatal infection of the womb. Even if spayed a bitch can get 'stump pyometra' so a vet check will still be needed. Pyometra is an emergency, don't hesitate to seek veterinary care.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I second this! Please people, use your vet FIRST, then come back and tell us what happened. Don't use the forum for vet advice! Of course I'm talking about serious stuff like the above, not minimal symptoms, or advice about something that isn't causing the dog pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE on chihuahua with random bursts of anger

(I'm very new here and don't know if there's a way to respond directly to comments, so I hope this response gets to you guys)

First of all, thank you all for your concern and kind advice :)

Of course I took her to the vet, I posted here first since it was around midnight that all the symptoms became apparent, but the following day she did see a doctor.

The vet says it is a false pregnancy, which explains all the symptoms; she should be back to normal in about 2-3 weeks, thank God.

Once again thank you for the support!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad it wasn't pyometra, I had a Chow that came down with that (a MONTH of vet doing blood tests, etc, before she figured it out! My dog almost died!). It's nasty.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I second this! Please people, use your vet FIRST, then come back and tell us what happened. Don't use the forum for vet advice! Of course I'm talking about serious stuff like the above, not minimal symptoms, or advice about something that isn't causing the dog pain.
I agree about going to the vet but I have seen repeatedly on this.forum and many places.online lots of medical questions. Although this.is not the case here, many people cant afford going to the vet and.are desperate when they ask online. Not only that sometimes its the weekend and the vets offices are.closed, some people have no access to the vet since they are in a rural setting. I have been one to go to the emergency room and leave with hundreds of dollars in vet bills for something simple. So yes I agree by all means possible go to your vet, but feel free to.come and talk to us too. We are not vets and cant provide medical advice but we have gone through experiences that may be helpful. This forum for some people may be the only source; lets all be helpful and understanding.

Thankfully it was nothing serious. Hope she feels better soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts