Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a chihuahua named Jimmy. We adopted him after a puppy store got busted for abusing dogs and had parvo running around. He didnt have it, luckily. We used to feed him the Science diet puppy food, and some other expensive food. As soon as we switched him to regular adult food from various companies, he started itching. He's itched his right ear so much that hair is starting to wear off. What should i do? My mom works at the vet, so we have access to a lot of food/care.

Another problem is his weight. We feed him what he's supposed too, not to little, not to much. Its not exactly his weight, he weighs 5 pounds 9 ounces but he is really fat near his shoulder. It almost looks like a triangle, the base being his shoulders; it gets skinny towards the back. We've put him on diet food...nothing will help. Is he naturally fat? we had him tested for thyroid problems, but they were negative

Thanks

SquishedFly

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. if i were you i would bring him to the vet and get a skin scraping done to make sure he doesnt have any bacteria or fungus or mites or anything. My dog has food allergies and has done really well on nutro lamb and rice small bites. hope this helps and good luck with your puppy. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
:oops: sorry i just reread your post and it's not a new puppy. sorry i was reading it and talking on the phone at the same time.lol

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I agree a skin scraping would rule out a lot of skin conditions. It might also be food allergies like mark said.

As far as weight...what did the vet say? I know Kylie had a weight issue and I had to cut her food intake almost in half just to get her to slowly loose weight....I am talking about loosing 3lbs in 6 months. Some dogs have slower metabolisms and need to eat less then the reccommended amount. The amount shown on the bags of food is only a suggestion...depending on your dog they might need less, they might need more. If the vet said your chi needs to loose weight I would first tell them how much you are feeding and ask how much you need to cut out.

Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Make sure to buy dog food that comtains no corn,wheat,soy, and grain fillers. Nutro Ultra is good as well as Natural Balance,Canidaen.Bathe at Least once a week with Oatmeal Shampoo and a Leave-in conditioner daily.Grizzly Salmon oil added to the food is great for his skin and coat.I have tried all these cause my Chi has had terrible allergies and is much better.Hope these help.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The simplest thing to try is to put your pup back on the food that he was eating before he started having problems. I have a cat and a Labrador who both had problems due to me switching their food, and the vet ran all kinds of tests and tried all kinds of medications and nothing worked until I put them back on their original foods. So that is my suggestion due to my experience. Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It doesn't have to be the puppy formula. Just the same brand. My cat was a kitten when this occured. When she was old enough, I switched her from Iam's Kitten Formula to Iam's Hairball Control Adult Maintenance Formula. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OMG he is the cutest pup I have ever seen!!!!!! I think I am in love!!!

I think his looks great...I think he is at a very ideal weight (but thats just looking at his pic)

What a cutie!!!!!!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts