1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xx-nathalie-xx said:
i bet those puppy's will be 'darn' supercute :wink:

kisses nat
Thank you very much!!! I know just about everyone on the net loves the little appleheads but I love these little minature deers!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ozzysmom said:
why do you charge extre for merles ? :wave:
Merle is a rare color for the Chihuahua breed, it took me awhile to even get enough money together to buy my male Duke. I mean I guess it took longer because I'm living on a military budget... we don't make overtime!! haha Oh yeah and I wanted to tell the other person that I am from Anchorage, Alaska but stationed in SC right now.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not her, but I can assure you that ozzysmom does think it's terrible for people to charge extra for extra small chis. Most people here hold that opinion I think.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can understand your feelings, I honestly can because I did have to save for awhile to get my Duke. On the other hand I do see it as fair because to have something more unique or something that stands out from the rest of the crowd in a different way... well that should cost different to. I would never buy a very small Chihuahua though, I don't think they are healthy, I mean I don't think that they should ever be that small. I would be scared about their body temp, how high they can jump from and just plain stepping on them cuz they are so small. Both my dogs are about or almost 10 pounds. I love how big and fiesty they are, quick like little deer but not too tiny... they don't get tired when we go on long walks. They only asked to be held when they are needing some attention. They are still my babies but still a dogs dog! Does that make sense?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
on one end i know that some breeders charge slightly extra for the smaller chi as a slight assurance it will be going to a home that idealy will be more serious about it's care.... not saying that if someone spends 400 on a dog they won't take as good of care then someone that paid 1000 for the dog...... i can't find the words to explain what i'm trying to say.....

and you really can't say that all small chi's are not healthy. chiwi is a very tiny girl and i have never had to deal with a hypoglycemia attack. her heart is perfect, teeth are doing well and i've never worried about stepping on her, i hear where she is easy solution i have a bell on her collar. and i've seen a 98 pound rottie come in with a broken leg from jumping off the bed. and i have steps for her to use to get onand off the bed... i seen a picture of chiwi and fell in love then found out she was the runt of the litter..... big or small i woulda loved her either way.... deerhead, applehead small larger it's all prefrence... me personally i love my little knucklehead ;)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
As I'm looking at the pictures of your dogs I realize how different your Chihuahuas look from ours. I always thought there are rules and standars when it comes to breed. And the standard for Chi says: Weight - A well balanced little dog not to exceed 6 pounds. Proportion - The body is off-square; hence, slightly longer when measured from point of shoulder to point of buttocks, than height at the withers. Somewhat shorter bodies are preferred in males. Disqualification - Any dog over 6 pounds in weight.
Head
A well rounded "apple dome" skull, with or without molera.

As for charging different prices for smaller ones or different colour.....every good breeder would laugh at that. You can charge different prices for Show puppy or Pet puppy. But that's it.....

Wish you all the best!
Christina

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
luvmypuppet said:
and you really can't say that all small chi's are not healthy. chiwi is a very tiny girl and i have never had to deal with a hypoglycemia attack. her heart is perfect, teeth are doing well and i've never worried about stepping on her, i hear where she is easy solution i have a bell on her collar. and i've seen a 98 pound rottie come in with a broken leg from jumping off the bed. and i have steps for her to use to get onand off the bed... i seen a picture of chiwi and fell in love then found out she was the runt of the litter..... big or small i woulda loved her either way.... deerhead, applehead small larger it's all prefrence... me personally i love my little knucklehead ;)
I do think that they are unhealthy as to their size, that is just too small for me. I'd think they are runty and not as good as a specimen as one of my bigger babies. That's just me though, that's how I feel. I like the big 10 lbs Deer head/face Chihuahua's. How big do you think the Taco Bell dog was? That's a Deer head girl. I know you love your babies and that's great but me personally, I'd never buy such a tiny dog. I'm just partial to my big babies. Just because they are not to the American kennel club standards doesn't mean that they are not Chihuahuas and that they should not live or breed. My dogs aren't show dogs but lovable energetic pet quality critters.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I like bigger chi's too and I also like the smaller chi's. My Mr. Peepers (the tri-color) is about 13 pounds and 1 year and 4 months old. I was told he was a purebred but because of his size I think he might be mixed. But when it comes down to it, he is STILL a really small dog. I feel like he is a big boy but when I take him around other dogs, I think to myself, wow he is a small dog.

I know what you mean about size. I feel that Mr. Peepers is a sturdy guy. He's got great muscle tone and is super healthy. But he too is still delicate. He broke his leg while in one of his running frenzy's around the house. :roll:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
there is a 23 year old chihuahua at my job that is 3 pounds. yep real unhealthy if you ask me, 23 and all his blood levels are excellent, he even has his hearing, and almost full eyesight (one eye is starting to get a cataract.) he should be put to sleep he's so scraeny and unhealthy :roll:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I am sorry if I came on a bit strong. Perhaps some people didn't understand my point. I love all dogs....small, big, fat, skinny, mix and the best pedigree ones. They're lovely and beautifull. I do however condemn people that sell their pets ( for high prices) under the pretence that it's a certain breed. There's only one standard for Chihuahua and that one says they're not to exceed 6 pounds. And the standard is the same in USA, Europe, Mexico or China if you want. Anything else is not to be called a Chihuahua. You can call it Chi/Miniature Pinscher if you want. We have to ask ourselves....why do we have certain breeds? Why do we have certain standards? Because we have different demands when it comes to your dog and a life style that you lead. If you want a bigger dog DON'T buy a Chi, buy something bigger. There are soooo many breeds that are exactly the way you want them to be. Do not destroy a hard work of our ancestors that have been breeding the best of the best (and ofcourse the healthiest). Call it what you want, but Chihuahua is only one :) .

Have fun with all your dogs and give them all the love that you can! They all deserve it....

Christina

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
ak_crazygirl907 said:
xx-nathalie-xx said:
i bet those puppy's will be 'darn' supercute :wink:

kisses nat
Thank you very much!!! I know just about everyone on the net loves the little appleheads but I love these little minature deers!!

i have an apple and a dearhead and i love them both :wink: i just love chihuahua's for their caracter .....small, big , merle........it stays a chi :D

kisses nat

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.