Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month, I started a local chihuahua (and other tiny breeds) meet up group. I thought I would maybe get a couple of people joining, but we're already at more than 20 members! We just had our first meet up today at a small dog only off-leash park, and it was such a success! All the dogs got along really well, and Odie had a blast! It lasted for about an hour, and there were more than 10 dogs that came. :toothy10: Can't wait for the next one!

Here are some of my favourite shots...

My chicken little, Odie

This is Maggie

This is Tika, a sweet mama that was rescued from a puppy mill

Getting to know each other

Mom, I'm getting tired!

Run, Osita, Run!

Lucy, also a rescue, coming out of her shell

This is what Odie looks like when she wants to be picked up

My pretty girl

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
wow they all look like they had so much fun. So happy it was a success! i LOVE that pic of odie with her tongue out haha!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That pic of Odie wanting to ge picked up is just adorable! What a cutie pie :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
great pics...they all look like they are having a good time...love the last pic !
Good for you starting up a group...should be fun over the months to come...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I'm so jealous!! I wish there was something like that around here!! I love the pic of her wanting to be picked up! So sweet & irresistable.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Looks like fun!! I wish we had a dog park close to us but no such luck.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! We both had such a good time. If there's somewhere in your area you could have a meet up, I recommend starting a group! All I did was make a facebook group, and then post the link on a few community websites, and word spread like wild fire. One of the members even offered her backyard as a meet up location for next month. We are really lucky that we have a small dog only park though, although I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it. Might be worth checking with your city hall, who knows! :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
What fun!!

At the chihuahua parade we met such wonderful people and such sweet dogs. The organizer of the event said that she'd be happy to share detail if I organize something.

Now you have motivated me to do it!

Did you name the group Chihuahua Group of "city name here"? I checked on meetup.com and nada. I am in a big city and the parade with 400+ Chis proved to me that we have population and would have interest.

I know the photographer as well as the organizer would share on their sites.

I'd welcome any tips!

eta: OH! Ruby's training facility might share as well now that I think of it!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Our chi group on meetup.com is "hampton roads chihuahua group"...idk if there is a fee, there might be, but I can't imagine that members wouldn't donate from time to time

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What fun!!

At the chihuahua parade we met such wonderful people and such sweet dogs. The organizer of the event said that she'd be happy to share detail if I organize something.

Now you have motivated me to do it!

Did you name the group Chihuahua Group of "city name here"? I checked on meetup.com and nada. I am in a big city and the parade with 400+ Chis proved to me that we have population and would have interest.

I know the photographer as well as the organizer would share on their sites.

I'd welcome any tips!

eta: OH! Ruby's training facility might share as well now that I think of it!
That's great that you started one! I honestly can't see it being unsuccessful. I named mine "City" Chihuahua Group. I started to register it on meetup, but it was something like $70 for the year to do it, so I decided against it. I created the group on facebook to be a closed group, so I have to approve members before they join. To get the word out, I posted the link on craigslist and kijiji. The rest was all word of mouth.

I decided to also welcome "other tiny breeds", which made the group grow a little faster. I'm from a smaller city, although I have seen a ton of chihuahuas around! I've "liked" some of the local pet stores facebook pages and posted the link there as well. I have no complaints what-so-ever. All the dogs and people got along great. Since most of the members are on facebook, I created an event and invited everyone to keep track of who was coming, and to post the city's dog park rules, directions, etc.

Can't wait to see pics from your first meet up! :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm even motivated to try to do this in Sweden if my boyfriend will help me with the translations. It would be so much fun for Gemma. She really needs to start meeting and playing with other dogs. She hasn't yet because we don't know anyone with small dogs, or really any dogs for that matter. She's getting her second vaccinations today so in about a week she will be able to take on the world and all the other little doggies in it! A Facebook page sounds like a great way to start. I think I'll talk to my boyfriend about this today! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts