Chihuahua People Forum banner

Chihuahua papers

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  CuddleMeChi 
#1 ·
Can someone send me a link of a site that tells you how the pup papers work and what the paper should look like?cause the lady who said she couldent give me papers says she will now give me one after i said i may not take the pup,and i dont understand how she wasnt giving me the papers in the first place so i want to have something to conpare the papers to incase ther just wrote up and printed out by her self.

Amber x

#2 ·
Hi Dark Amber,its difficult you cant go by anything really unless you know and trust the breeder. I have 2 pedigrees one for Sully and one for Fynn but when i got the one for Rosie whom my friend bought cheap/rescued from an 'idiot breeder who was having her animals confiscated', my friend said 'this is the pedigree we were given for Rosie but dont take it as Gospel, meaning the woman who had Rosie first wrote it out and it wasnt necessarily a true one.Also have you been able to see the mother? There is no excuse if the breeder is a good one. yet

#4 ·
I have just checked mine and another friends who breeds and shows and they are all 4 and 5 generations,but as i dont show myself i dont know how many generations you need to have on your pups papers.Not sure how to do it but try and make sure the mum is the right one for this pup, i really hope she is not mucking you about and isnt a puppy miller.Good luck.

#6 ·
Im sorry i dont know, something to do with the kennel club i would think, i have had chihuahuas for 20 years and have picked all sorts of info up over the years through actual experience and life but i dont breed or show ( except fun shows), just have rescued and bought chis.

#9 ·
Here is some info.....

If you are looking for AKC papers then the whole pedigree thing isn't really ANYTHING and what you want is the registration papers. The pedigree papers would just be a bonus.
Your registration papers should have the father name , mother name and their akc numbers listed. Also you should have the litter number listed on the paper . Usually on top. Also it will have the owner and breeders names and color of the pup listed. You also should have a space where the seller and breeder sign off specifically to you. All signatures MUST be signed or the AKC will not accept you sending these in for your own personal registration to assign this dog to you. Copies are not acceptable . You can copy the form but not the signature.

So basically if she just shows you HER registration for her two parent dogs that doesn't make you able to register the dog you are getting unless she signs the papers over to you.. You also want to make sure the paper she gives you says it is for litter number such and such from the registered parents such and such.

Once you register the dog to yourself you can request a pedigree for 5 generations for a small fee.

In a nutshell... important points to look for
AKC seal on papers.

Signature of other parties besides yourself.

Make sure the "limited registration" box is NOT checked. This takes away all your rights to register any offspring and also can keep you out of AKC events

If the breeder is only showing you these papers and not signing them to you then I would definately ask for a price adjustment as you are giving up AKC rights and priveledges. Actually AKC doesn't mean it is a better pup , it's kind of like having designer jeans. The name is what you are paying for.

#10 ·
OHHHHHHHHHHHH. and have the lady sign a paper to you stating she guarantees you will have valid AKC papers assigned to you for that pup. You can type this up before hand and just put in front of her to sign. This way if it's on the up and up she won't hesitate.
AND if her papers end up bogus you can come back on her. It's best to put a monetary amount in the paperwork so she has to pay you a fee if she doesn't get the paperwork to you in a specific amount of time if there is a problem. By placing a monetery amount you can still keep your pup if she says just give him back and wants to refund your money.

You have to watch yourself because people who suddenly have papers sometimes slide things past you. One of the more common things is people who have had AKC priveledges taken away for bad practices. These peopl emight have AKC pups but the AKC won't deal with them or recognize any of the pups because they had bad dealing before. NOT saying this is the case , just am giving an example! Some people will charge you extra for the AKC papers , but they usually tell you up front that they have them but are just chargeing an extra fee for them.

You know the whole thing might be on the up and up and maybe the Lady just felt she didn't want to sell a pup with AKC priviledges because she didn't want a breeder getting the dog. You really just need to ask her :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.