Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What toys are good for baby and also adult chihuahua's? What would you recommend and not recommend? I have a few different chew toys and some treats, but I want to know what's good for the next time I go out and buy some.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I recommend plush type toys, over the rubber squeaky ones. I don't like rawhide very much, so my dogs enjoy greenies once a day. Adults and baby chihuahuas can have greenies, they are full of protein and fully digestible, very good for the dogs.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have some rubber toys.
Stella and Luna even have some stuffed animals but you have to watch out with those, especially if you have pups.

(a couple of months before we got Luna, we were going to buy a male chi from a lady here in town......guess what happened...the lady left this little puppy alone during the day and he chewed on a stuffed animal.....the foam inside of it killed him :( .)

Also, I have some balls for my chis. Rubber balls are great.......don't buy little tennis balls, you know, the ones for dogs. The hairs on those are dangerous as well. Luna was chewing on one of those balls one day and she ended up eating some of the hairs covering the ball. I literally had to remove the hairs from her butt hole....she was in such a big pain and could't go to the bathroom. :( :?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Re: Raw hide

Katt said:
Why do people not like raw hide?
If they manage to get a kinda large piece off of it and swallow it without chewing it up, it can swell up in their intestines and cause a blockage.
Also when it gets down to the end sometimes they might swallow the end whole and again this will swell up in their intestines and cause a blockage or if it is too big it could suffocate them.

I give rawhides to my 2 but I watch them very carefully. And twice I have had to take pieces away from them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would actually recommend rubber toys without any peaky parts that your chi can bite off. We had bad experience with stuffed animals- they are so easy to bite through and dogs can eat their content.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Raw hide

Katt said:
Why do people not like raw hide?
Well besides the fact that they can choke on pieces they bite off, it STINKS!!! Ever had a dog chewing on a piece of this stuff come up and lick your face?? YUCK! It smells like rotting flesh! I like the Greenies... they are a little pricey, but they are good for the dogs and help their breath as well ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
oh, forgot to mention that my chi loves to play with a laser pointer (this one, that you use for presentations, know that?). it is really great, since you don't really have to moove and your chi is gettig his/her exersize! just don't let it get in the eyes

Richie's mom

·
Registered
98 Posts
Daisy likes Dingo bones -- http://www.dingobrand.com/catalog/catalog.aspx -- they are like crack to her. Once I give her one, she won't put it down until she gets the chicken strip out of the center. Then she usually hides the rawhide part somewhere and I find it 2 weeks later. She also likes the Quest dental chews. They are like Greenies, but they are made by Nylabone, I think. I'm still limiting her protein source (from food allergy testing), so she can't actually have beef rawhide at the moment, so she is eating Piggy Twists. It's porkhide. And lamb lungs -- which are gross, but not nearly as gross as the lamb trachea we tried once.

I also think rawhide is yucky, but I can deal with it as long as it doesn't LOOK like what it once was, like pig ears. THAT is gross.

As for toys, Daisy really likes the plush toys, but half of the fun is ripping them open to get to the squeaker. I check them for holes regularly and take them away if she's anywhere close to ripping it open. She really likes plush toys that are large and floppy so she can wring it like she's killing it.

She also likes the vinyl squeaky toys... and almost anything I buy for the cats. Whenever I buy fuzzy mice for them, the first thing I do is rip out the plastic eyes and nose so Daisy can't choke on them. One of her favorite toys is a rubber squeaky ball with fleece glued to it. She LOVES it. It's like the in-between toy -- it's not plush, but it's not just rubber either. It's both. We've gone through about 3 of them.

She does not like: miniature tennis balls, kongs, solid rubber balls, and rope toys.

Oh! She also likes spongy balls (they are cat toys, usually decorated to look like soccer or golf balls) because they bounce really well and she can play with them by herself. She tosses them in the air and has a grand ol' time with them -- for about 15 minutes -- then she lays down with it and systematically rips it into itty bitty pieces. They are cheap, though, and she really enjoys them for those 15 minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts