Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on a dead end street, there's a recent bad parvo outbreak, and Czar's shots aren't until Thursday (the absolute earliest we could get him in!). For the most part, Czar is shy around kids. He likes the quieter, well-mannered young kids because they don't scare him, but he is very scared of louder, roudy children.

The other day (I wasn't there), my mom was holding him and our neighbor (the only young kid on my street that we know) asked to pet him. Czar was obviously uncomfortable and very afraid. He didn't snap, but he almost did and showed signs of it.

This is not acceptable at all. Due to not having his shots and my recent finding of the parvo outbreak in my area (I know of three puppies dying from it), I don't know what to do. We haven't taken him anywere because of the outbreak and we don't know any other little kids.

One of the known areas for parvo is the park... which is where I was going to take him to get used to the sounds of young kids playing and eventually have him close around them, at his own pace.

Any suggestions on what to do? The vet told us 2 weeks minimum to wait to take him out after his shots; 1 week if it's only around vacciated dogs and safe environments. What should I do until then to possibly help? Or is there nothing I can do?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How old is he??? He looks well old enough to have had his first vac? I'd not even let him on the ground if he's had NO vacs & there is a known parvo outbreak in the area. He'd be pee pad trained until fully covered if he were mine!

If you don't know any kids it's going to be hard to socialize him with them. Maybe your neighbor kid...have them come over & quiet sit next to you & give treats. As I said in my post in the strangers thread DO NOT FORCE anything uncomfortable onto him because that will increase the anxiety. The second he even looked to be uncomfortable with the kid...have him back off a bit & get him comfortable again with treats or what not...child standing by by not approaching him.

Start small & with quiet & reliable kids. Hopefully you can make some progress...and get him vaccinated asap!! In the mean time don't let him on the ground outside!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's had his first and second vaccinations, he needs his last ones. I don't "believe" in puppy pad training at all, I refuse to do it anyway. This was the earliest we could get him in for his last shots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure if you know this but vaccines are no guarantee against Parvo.
how old is your dog? if it's just his last series personally I don't think there is any issue taking him to a park or socializing him now.

Not all dogs are susceptible to the ravages of Parvo, there is tons of research online if you look it up :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they're no guarantee but I'm very paranoid and him just having vaccines definitely increases the chance that he won't get it. :) He's almost 16 weeks now.

Thank you, I've looked up lots about parvo but it almost always seems like I'm reading the same repeated facts about it over and over again.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'd have to agree that depending on how early the first 2 sets were given, he's probably got enough immunity built up that he will be fine. Most vets want to push for more frequent vaccines but after mine got their initial ones it's titers only from now on.

I believe 8 and 12 are the current protocol that most places recommend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He had a really early set (can't remember what the youngest age is... 6 weeks?), then his 8 weeks. He's late on his 12 week ones because we couldn't get him in - which is the one he's getting on Thursday. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news! Czar went to his first vet's appointment today and he was very impressed with his body and facial structure.

He was telling me how proportionate Czar was and that I probably chose the best puppy out of the litter because he had a great, easy going temperment. Also, his "applehead" face was better than most Chihuahuas because his forehead doesn't stick out too far. His snout is of a good length, not too short. He thought he heard a heart murmur at first but soon realized it was nothing - thank goodness. He continued to tell me about all the illnesses and diseases Chihuahuas can get (all of which I already knew about) and was very informative. He also said that Chihuahuas are not very susceptible to parvo as much as other breeds, they have a stronger immunity to it, and that he should be good to go out and do lots of socializing with any dogs in any environment in about two weeks. Czar recieved his parvo, distemper, and rabies shots and about twenty five minutes into the appointment, we were headed home. :]

I really love my vet because he's so soft-spoken and gentle. :] He kept commenting on how sweet Czar was and I know he has smaller dogs of his own so he's very familiar with them and how they need to be handled and touched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts