Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hoping you can help, I would love a chihuahua but my husband is not up for it as we like to go out for long walks and believes a chihuahua wouldn’t be able to walk distances. I’ve tried to look it up but keeps saying I’m only getting one side of the story to try and get him to get a chihuahua.
Also other breeds talk about the parents been health tested but can’t seem to find if chihuahuas need to be health checked before breeding?

Looking forward to your respons

·
Registered
69 Posts
Simple logical solution. And only use a harness for a small chi, you get a shoulder bag to carry it in, let it walk till its tired then carry it. Its no big problem with a real chi that is not over 6 lbs. My little 4 something pounder was no problem packing on walks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My chi LOVES to go on what we call "adventures." This includes hiking and long, offleash runs in the woods. He keeps up just fine, stays right at my feet the majority of the time with bursts of rushing ahead to run with the bigger dogs. These adventures range anywhere from 1-6 miles. For reference, his weight runs between 5-6 lbs. And, yes, he's a "real chi," whatever that means. I have only had to carry him once, when we got caught in an unexpected heavy snow and he got too cold, even with a coat on. I do always bring a sling or backpack with me just in case I need to carry him, though.

As to your other question, while I lean much harder on the rescue side (please seriously consider it), if you feel you must go with a breeder, you should absolutely choose ONLY from breeders who health test, and breed dogs closer to the large side of the scale. The smaller they breed, the less reputable they are - because the smaller the dog, the more health problems they are likely to have. I will likely get some pushback for saying that here, but it is the absolute truth. There is lots of information in in the archives, please do some research before getting your dog (as you should do before getting any pet) to ensure you are ready and making the right decision for your situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts