Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am really interested in figuring out what makes chi's shake so much. Poor Bonnie is almost continually shaking. I have covered her up with a towel; tonight she started panting while shaking. So not cold. She has had pain medication---could that do it? She is a shaker anyway. Shakes when you carry her, when she is scared, etc. I would like to know why chi's are such shakers. Is it in the breed? Do other tiny breeds do it? I'm trying to ignore it as much as possible. It is just hard to see her sound asleep and shaking. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. The only time she did seen painful when I was trying to get her pain medication into her mouth. Takes one to hold her, and one to get the syringe in her mouth!

·
Registered
382 Posts
It seems to be common in the breed- some seem to shake more than others. I heard it was because of a high metabolism, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

My girl tends to shake when she's riled up about something, scared, or when she's cold. She started quivering while napping next to me earlier today, but soon after I put my blanket over her, she stopped.

I've haven't met a Chi to shake as much as yours though. It may be something to ask your vet about, but as long as it isn't affecting how she functions, it's probably not a problem. :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The shaking is relatively common in the breed. There are several reasons.

In the very little Chis, it can be one sign of hypoglycemia.

Chis have very little body weight so they can often have difficulty regulating their body temps. This is especially true of short haired Chis.

Many do have a high metabolism, which could help explain it.

Anxiety is probably the biggest cause of chi shaking in my experience. They release tension, fear, stress and nervousness through the shaking.

I am sure there are other reasons as well, but it's nearly 1am here, so my brain is a little slow. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
277 Posts
Brewster shakes when he is overwhelmed/anxious (like in social situations meeting new people), when he is cold, and when he is excited (especially about food!) Usually I can discern the difference depending on the situation and figure out what he needs.
I've heard it also can be because they have high energy and tend to be a bit anxious.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From what I have read it is common on the breed because of their high metabolism, besides their scared, excited, cool moods and hypo of course. My female chi shakes more than the male one, it scares me sometimes. I just try to find a reason, if not then I blame it on the breed :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It is common in this breed. My girl will only shake very very much when she is in a new place or where there is a busy environment. She shakes and rattles so violently sometimes, it almost makes me shake too!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The panting with the shaking makes me question the meds she's on. They may be too strong. If she's shaking all the time, there may be something wrong. Shaking is a sign of nervousness, fear, & being cold. It's common in some small breed dogs. I think the Yorkie is a shaker too.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bonnie had food down all night. Didn't eat until this am. Hypoglycemia is certainly one cause, but the vet did 2 blood sugars and they were both normal. Hopefully at allmost 7 months (friday) she can regulate that now. I do watch her though. I'm going to look up the medication she is getting and see if it mentions shivering. She is not interested in playing at all;, right now. She has always been a shaker. She does not like to be picked up nor carried; so that makes her shake too! I know she's still not herself, cause she didn't come up the puppy steps to meet me this am! I guess I'm just worried that she is in pain. I have 2 more syringes to give at 7 pm tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for all the posts!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma shakes when I talk to her and ask her questions, when it's cold, when we're outside, when she's begging, when I put any of her clothing or harness on, when I carry her, when meeting a dog or person, when we come home after she's been home alone, and I'm sure there are more situations but I just can't think of them. Some of these times it's obvious to tell how she's feeling, but when I'm talking to her for example, I have no idea if she's shaking because she's nervous about something I'm asking her or if she's excited.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Mine shake when they are cold, excited, scared, unsure, etc... LOL

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I met a breeder at a dog show once and her chi shook - a lot - all the time!!

Angel is not much of a shaker, I guess that could be because he is at 9 lbs. He shakes quite a bit at meal time and when hubby gets a snack for himself! He will shake a bit on our walks if he feels nervous. I'm glad he doesn't shake, my first chi/poo shook a bit! And he panted a lot!

I would agree with the others that it is probably because of being cold, nervous, or excited.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My guys shake when they are excited (in a good way) or happy about something, it just seems to be the way they express themselves.
I think most of them do it one way or another.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
When Yoshi pants and home in the house that usually means he is in pain, he will do that or will urinate on the couch or on me I know he is in pain, he is notorious for trying to hide pain as most dogs are so if there is panting going along with the shaking and it is a cool environment where he is not usually stressed I would lean more towards pain.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went over to the vets and talked with one of them. She said that she thought it was just going through the surgery, and having such a small liver, that it was taking a bit longer for the anesthetic to 'clear' out. She was very sweet, told me I could bring Bonnie in for a check if I was worried. Well Bonnie was a bit better this pm and early evening. Sat on 'her step' and watched us. Came out of her pen for awhile. She also asked to eat! She has eaten 2x today, and has a full bowl down for tonight. Thanks all for the posts. I think also, that she is just a shakey dog!

·
Registered
291 Posts
:cool: Tiny Muffin only shakes when she goes out to potty. It is cold here, i notice the other day when it was sunny out even though it was chilly she was fine and didnt shake. I put her little homemade sweater on her when she goes out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts