Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I hate reading stuff like this. Ours is overflowing, too. They even had chis for $10 and if you wanted two, the second was half price. They say they get between twenty and thirty chis a day. It's just heartbreaking and I really can't get anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I forget that there are loads of chis looking for homes in the US. I met my first chi in Antigua 2 years ago. He was with an American family who had moved there. He was a rescue dog from LA. He was so so cute and so so happy. He was one of the reasons we decided to buy a Chi. I had decided to get a 2 or 3 year old. Thinking a rescue. We could not find one anywhere. I did think about getting one from the US but our quarantine laws are too tough and not fair on the animals. It was even very hard to find a long haired puppy. We did get lucky and Sparky is adorable. Is it that they are a fashion item discarded!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
California has had a huge problem with the number of chihuahuas being turn into shelters. Aside from pit bulls, chihuahuas are the most common breed found in CA shelters. San Francisco's local rescue groups are dominated by chihuahuas and they have started shipping them to other states that want them. Virgin airlines was kind enough to provide free transport of rescue chihuahuas to the East Coast a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
California has had a huge problem with the number of chihuahuas being turn into shelters. Aside from pit bulls, chihuahuas are the most common breed found in CA shelters. San Francisco's local rescue groups are dominated by chihuahuas and they have started shipping them to other states that want them. Virgin airlines was kind enough to provide free transport of rescue chihuahuas to the East Coast a couple of months ago.
Yeah, last year the shelter here in Bakersfield shipped 90 little dogs, 95% of them chis, to Washington state, to be adopted. They said all of they were adopted within two weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tell them to send them to the NJ/NJ area..You almost never seen any in shelters around here. I would gladly adopt more... I had mine tranported in from Texas and she is the best little girl ever.

Lisa

·
Registered
141 Posts
I totally agree. In the UK it's near impossible to find a rescue chi. The chi's over here average at around $1600 each, usually a lot more than this. I think we just have a lot less of the breed. It's very rare I see a chi out and about.

I really hope these poor guys find a home. :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts