Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Punky was great with children until a little boy at the airport repeatedly shoved his toy airplane at her through her carrier window. She was about 10 months old. Anyone know if that could have changed her behavior toward children so drastically? She now nips at their heels and barks at them. Sometimes growls and nips. Or was it just her maturing at that age and it was inevitable? I tell children to let her smell their hand first and approach her slowly but inevitably some child will rush her face with their hand.
Is there anyway to train her to be NICE to children? I even had play dates with her from the time I brought her home. Those children she still gets along with great but not new ones :(

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Part of Kemo's past is from abusive children so he does not like them. ITS THE PARENT that needs to teach their children how to approach dogs as you dont know what kind of dog you are approaching :shock:
cant say if you baby will ever change but hopefully with time... :(

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You know...It's all in the parents

I have 6 nieces and nephews...the littlest ones are from age 1-5...

There mother never taught them to be gentle with dogs...they have a poor little Japanese Chin who has a bad back cuz of these kids...but

When I introduced them to Gizmo I told them how fragile he was...let's just say whe Gizmo comes over...I taught them to all sit down on the floor and one by one come and touch Gizmo so that he doesn't get scared...Lo and Behold Gizmo crawls all over these kids and they do not hurt him at all...their dog though...is another story :cry:

It's all on the parents and how you raise kids...rrespect the things that are smaller than you... :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If I were a dog, I don't think I would like kids. In fact, I I don't like kids all that much anyway, except my own lol. And the reason is exactly as you stated Sunny. Parents don't properly discipline. With animals or otherwise.
When I bought my female I had a phone interview for over an hour with the breeder and after all that time, my kids were brought up. She hadn't realized when I first called that I had any. She told me if that had been the first thing I brought up she would not have sold her to me :shock: One of her puppy-adopter years back had children and they broke her babies back, after that she stopped selling to parents of small kids. I then gave her a full account of my disciplining method and safety measures and I did get my female :D But the only reason she sold her to me was because I already had a male and never any "accidents."
My kids are now 7, 3 and 18 months and still know how to acts proper with my dogs. In fact, my Momma dog left her own babies alone for a little while yesterday to love on my kids :D
Punky, I am so sorry your girl won't accept new children. My only suggestion on that is to carry tiny (extra tasty) dog treats with you. Give the treat to the child to offer her (make sure they hand it to her properly to avoid a nip. Or even gently drop it in front of her.) If she is food-driven this could work. If she is one of those dogs that refuses treats from strangers, I'm not sure what you can do :? Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There's a kid her in the park that chanced Gadget while we were walking him and now Gadget freaks everytime he sees this kid... I have to pick him up and tell the boy he doesn't want to play... I usually don't walk him down there anymore...

But Gadget loves other kids... he seems to know who is not nice and who is.. The little girl next door loves to pet him and she is only 1 1/2 years old.. I hold him nad turn his body sideways so she can pet his back and he just sits in my arms and doesn't have any problems...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have to agree - PARENTS are the ones who need to teach their children how to behave around pets, how to approach them, and most important do not approach until you ask the owner's permission. So far, Jasmine has been great with children, but it really irks me when parents will say - "oh, look, what a cute puppy! Give her a pat on the head", etc., without asking first if it is o.k. I always tell people, I'm prefectly happy for their children to pet Jasmine, but they need to teach their children to ask before approaching a strange dog, or one of these days they could get bitten. Most people are fine with this, but I did have one mom stomp off in a huff, with the comment - "Well, I didn't know we needed permission to pet your precious pooch." LOL -

I would say just keep working with Punky - it she is O.K. with some children, maybe eventually she will accept others if they approach her in the correct way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sachem said:
Well....just say "Oh, it's not the precious factor, she just rolled in poop."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of you that mentioned your Chis were good with children, have younger pups. Punky was great also until 10 months. Maybe it's a growing up process?

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers used to LOVE kids. I noticed that he kept getting more aggresive towards them. I have heard him bark vigorously a few times and have seen the kids that live in our apartments, at MY window making barking noises and basically taunting him! :x If they do it when I am home I KNOW they do it when I am not. :roll:

They haven't done it in a while (while I have been home at least) but he still does NOT like kids. He loves my daughter Alex and my nieces, any new kids, he just hates, only when he is home though.

So I think things like kids being mean to them can permanently make dogs not like children.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kari said:
Mr. Peepers used to LOVE kids. I noticed that he kept getting more aggresive towards them. I have heard him bark vigorously a few times and have seen the kids that live in our apartments, at MY window making barking noises and basically taunting him! :x If they do it when I am home I KNOW they do it when I am not. :roll:

They haven't done it in a while (while I have been home at least) but he still does NOT like kids. He loves my daughter Alex and my nieces, any new kids, he just hates, only when he is home though.

So I think things like kids being mean to them can permanently make dogs not like children.
What is curious about all of this is, golden retrievers for example, practically never turn against kids even when bugged by them. I wonder if it's also because of their size? I'm sure there is an intimidation factor when kids charge even their hands at Chis. My friend's Chi, Chico, never even growled at anyone, children included, even in his older years.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I think size has alot to do with it. Chihuahuas are so small they probably are easily intimidated, eventhough they think they are huge dogs. :roll:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I do think it's size related. Wouldn't you be scared if some shrieking, hand waving person who was 10 times your size came running at you?

I tried and tried to get Lily accustomed to kids but I think I only made her fear worse. Now I don't let children pet her at all. If I have to choose between disappointing a child and scaring Lily, well, that's an easy choice to make. Sometimes I tell the child that Lily is sick if they're too young to understand how a dog could be afraid of a really little kid. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have to agree that if I were a dog, I would want nothing to do with kids. Too much chaos there. :D

Angel does very well with kids. She was well socialized with kids when she was born. Since I got her from a friend, they knew I had a 7 year old daughter and so they made sure their kids handled her as much as possible. Now, when Angel sees kids playing, she begs to be a part of it. Of course I really don't trust other kids around her besides my own. I get extremely over-protective. LOL

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
All three of mine get very nervous around children. I just put them in the bedroom and shut the door. Unfortunately most of the kids that come over here are undisiplined and pretty much "brats". (my own grandchild included) :oops: I just dont have the "Patience" anymore to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My chis loved everyone until they matured even if my adult kids come in they go nuts, hair up on back and such it doesn't matter who it is if it isnt me or Joe they are not comfortable with anyone in their domain.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mine don't like children :? ......they are scared and don't know what to think of it .
only if they know the children it's no problem.

kisses nat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts