Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son has posted something on his Facebook page earlier this evening. Just talking about it's not right when he saw a lot of adverts about people asking for Chihuahuas for free or extreme low cost because they are on tight budget or made redundent. Asking why people wanted to bring in a dog while they cannot afford it in the first place? The vet bills are more expensive in a long run.

One of the people in his friend list replied saying paying so much for a small dog like a Chihuahua, in his opinion is way over the top. They were under half the price. They only got so expensive because they became the dog of the rich and famous. He also knows that a lot of them, especially the tea cup breeds have major health problems. He refuses to pay so much for one, knowing they are not really worth that amount.

I really have to laugh, I think keeping any dogs (or pets) are expensive anyway, not just the vet bills but all the good quality food too. I am not sure about the adoption in other country, but in UK alone, there are a standard adoption fees which is around £200 for any breed of the dog. The cost is including the first and second injection, as well as neutering if the dog is not being done yet. Any shelters do have Chis in there too, so it's not just big dogs needed to be rehomed.

Anyway, it's just sad that some people are such narrow minded to think about Chis. I just want to vent that's all. :foxes15:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, you can adopt a dog from a shelter for $50 here. Less sometimes.

I think that person has a point. Tea cups can sell for $1000-2000 when they're just unhealthy dogs that you'll likely have to pay a lot of money for for vet bills. Same with yorkies-and I've seen breeders selling normal sized yorkies for $1000. But why? Just to make more money because people will pay that for dogs like chi's and yorkies.

I'd never pay that much either. I'm going to buy my chi for $200-250 from a good breeder. You have to wonder when a breeder is selling dogs for so much if they care more about dogs or money.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Wow, you can adopt a dog from a shelter for $50 here. Less sometimes.

I think that person has a point. Tea cups can sell for $1000-2000 when they're just unhealthy dogs that you'll likely have to pay a lot of money for for vet bills. Same with yorkies-and I've seen breeders selling normal sized yorkies for $1000. But why? Just to make more money because people will pay that for dogs like chi's and yorkies.

I'd never pay that much either. I'm going to buy my chi for $200-250 from a good breeder. You have to wonder when a breeder is selling dogs for so much if they care more about dogs or money.
I just wanted to clarify...no "good" breeder can afford to sell a dog for $200-$250, nor will they. Expect to pay at least $500 for pet chi from an OK breeder, and $700-$1000 for a good quality chihuahua from a good breeder.

There also is no such thing as a "teacup" yorkie or chihuahua, that is a term people use to try to sell dogs for more money. It is unethical. There are many "small" chihuahuas in the 3-4 lb range not sold as teacups for reasonable prices :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess it's true some back street hobby breeders breed Chis for money. I would never paid that much for a Chihuahua whether it's the top breed or not. Nothing is perfect and even it is meant to be the best of the best, there's the fault. Most of the Chis breeders I have seen here sell their puppies for about £500 - 700 (probably it's pet quality). I have no idea what the ideal price is but that's my limit that I would pay as I just want Chis as pets, not to breed them. Expensive doesn't mean good quality IMO.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
No, expensive doesn't mean quality. But a low price almost always does mean low quality. The people here who think they got great deals on their chihuahuas are sadly the ones shelling out tons of money later for problems the dogs have. A breeder simply cannot afford to do all the health testing, feed the parents quality diets, keep up with vet checks, shots, etc. and sell a puppy for $250, especially with such small litters like chihuahuas.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Also a "hobby" breeder is a good breeder! a back yard breeder is what you call a breeder just breeding their dogs left and right with no real care to it, a hobby breeder takes great care in providing the best possible care and upbringing for a very limited # of puppies each year. They may or may not show their breeding stock, but the parents all registered with KC or AKC and great care is taken in selecting dams and sires that will compliment each other and provide the best possible puppies :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, expensive doesn't mean quality. But a low price almost always does mean low quality. The people here who think they got great deals on their chihuahuas are sadly the ones shelling out tons of money later for problems the dogs have. A breeder simply cannot afford to do all the health testing, feed the parents quality diets, keep up with vet checks, shots, etc. and sell a puppy for $250, especially with such small litters like chihuahuas.
I have to agree.

I contacted the breeder way before my Chis are ready to come home. I could go and visit as many times as I want to and I also have emails and phone calls to keep me up to date.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Really? Why do other dogs sell for less though? I mean, breeding chi's isn't much different to breeding larger dogs, is it? I know larger dogs usually have a larger litter, but still...I don't know much about breeding dogs but I would assume that small and large dogs would both require the same amount of money for breeding. Both need vet check ups, both can have difficulty giving birth, and all puppies have to have their shots. When breeding any animal you shouldn't expect to make much, if anything at all. I'd rather buy from someone who loves dogs and takes great care of the pups than someone who breeds for money and probably and isn't likely to care as much and tries to cut corners. I'm sure there are good big scale breeders as well but I'd say there are more good smaller scale breeders.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? Why do other dogs sell for less though? I mean, breeding chi's isn't much different to breeding larger dogs, is it? I know larger dogs usually have a larger litter, but still...I don't know much about breeding dogs but I would assume that small and large dogs would both require the same amount of money for breeding. Both need vet check ups, both can have difficulty giving birth, and all puppies have to have their shots. When breeding any animal you shouldn't expect to make much, if anything at all. I'd rather buy from someone who loves dogs and takes great care of the pups than someone who breeds for money and probably and isn't likely to care as much and tries to cut corners. I'm sure there are good big scale breeders as well but I'd say there are more good smaller scale breeders.
I don't know other breeds in other countries, but in UK, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are one of the unwanted breed here. Every shelter you go to, I guarantee you get to see at least half amount of the dogs in there are Staffy. It's a shame because they are really gentle quick learning dogs. Not because I have got 2 that say it, everybody who come across with one comment that. People used to breed them for money and that's why there are so many out there in this country. And without the pedigree, these dogs are not allowed to move to other European countries as they classified one of the dangerous breed (some people mated them with Pit Bull). It's so sad. Staffy costs about £100 - 150 from a good breeder, so you guess the rest. :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Breeding chis IS different. Here are just a few different expenses that are "common" with litters of chihuahuas...

C-sections -- they run $1000-$1500 depending on where you live. If you only have 2 puppies in the litter, ... well, there goes any potential of profit right there. C-sections are incredibly common for well bred chihuahuas because the heads are often too big to fit through the pelvis/birthing canal.

Small litters -- 2-3 pups is average, 4 is a "big litter". Larger dogs have litters of upwards of 10 puppies! So puppies can be sold for a little less, and help recoup the costs. C-sections are uncommon in many of the larger breeds.

Showing breeding stock -- this costs money too. Not all breeders do it, but good ones do often do this. If your breeder doesn't show, they should have purchased their dogs directly from someone who does. They don't come cheap.

Genetic and health testing -- this is a MUST for small breed dogs, especially dogs like chihuahuas who are prone to stifle/joint problems that can cost owners thousands within the first year or two of the dog's life--that, or you have a lame dog! What kind of quality of life is that for a young dog?

Dead puppies - the mortality rate for chihuahua puppies is upwards of 40%. That means that only a little over half survive to 8 weeks of age. Sometimes you can lose a whole litter, after a c-section. That isn't uncommon at all and most breeders have experienced it. You have to make this cost up later in later litters.

No "good" breeder will make money off of their puppies, but a great breeder, who pours her time and effort into the dogs, and does it right, eventually will almost always break even at the end of the day, which they certainly deserve to. A "bad" breeder often is the only one to make money off of puppies, but that is another post entirely, and very, very unethical.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
$250 is way too cheap I would run if i saw a chi posted for that much unless it was a lot older or from a shelter. I spend that just in dog food and natural treats/supplements every couple of months to feed my chi's dehydrated raw food. Yes it is VERY VERY common to lose 1 or more chi's in a litter I know of a few people in my city who have bred and always lose at least 1 per litter depending on the size of the litter usually anything more than 3 is when it happens. Also bc chi's have such small puppies there also is a higher chance you may have to supplement puppies such as the ''tcup" due to it's small size they require bottle feeding sometimes tube feeding around the clock at least every 2 hours sometimes even more often depending on the puppy and if the mom is supplementing as well if the breeder has a job then there is guaranteed time off work to supplement. You seriously make no $ in the end I have bred a couple of times and came out with close to nothing profit wise and have had to bottle feed. Anyone who thinks a chi is worth less is very uneducated about what it took the breeder to get your baby to the point of ready to be adopted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I know that about small litters and c-sections. But if a breeder gets the puppies their shots, they're CKC/AKC, fed a quality food, parents on premises, wouldn't they be a good breeder? Of course I wouldn't buy from a breeder that didn't do these things.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I want to breed some day and have already spent thousands just getting set up with ONE DOG. Literally thousands. My time, my energy, my effort, those are worth nothing, I will get paid nothing for it. I do it because I love the breed and want to see it get better ;) But, I WILL be breaking even once I start breeding, you can believe me there. Over a few litters averaged out, that is the least I can do. But believe me when I will have probably spent and lost close to $15,000.00 dollars to start and do it right, with showing, good bloodlines, best healthcare, etc. I think its one thing to love the breed and another to work for free or even essentially "pay" a stranger that takes one of your puppies lol. If they are charging $250 it was a mega "oops" breeding and trust me, the puppies haven't had any care and nor have the parents...chances are the parents aren't even kinda purebred.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
there's a member on here won't mention any names but she bought a chi for $300 and it was supposed to be purebred and ended up 12 lbs or so now. If you don't care if you're chi looks somewhat to standard or if you don't care about it being purebred then yes go for the $200 dog but don't be surprised later if it ends up costing you more in medical bills due to poor breeding. It may not happen like that the dog could very well end up healthy as a horse but I wouldn't want to risk it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yes, I know that about small litters and c-sections. But if a breeder gets the puppies their shots, they're CKC/AKC, fed a quality food, parents on premises, wouldn't they be a good breeder? Of course I wouldn't buy from a breeder that didn't do these things.
CKC - fake registry...you can register a hippo as a chi. It is used primarily by petstores and puppymills to trick the unsuspecting consumer into believing they are getting a quality, registered animal.

Quality food -- keep in mind, they have to feed the parents for more than the duration of the puppy's lives, pay for the parent's vet care, and pay for the puppy's vet care and shots as will. A "good" breeder almost seldom has the stud on site, they had to go elsewhere to find the right bloodlines for their bitch. Puppy food, whelping, tube feeding supplies, scales, puppy pads, crates for puppies, momma, appropriate housing if sires are on site, etc. It all adds up and it just doesn't add up if they are only charging $250 for a puppy...there's something "off".

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Laure, the big chi in the middle of my siggy...was $250. Her parents were bother and sister. Sure...they were "registered, or something". The breeder gave "fake" papers when my hubby bought her. She was only 5 weeks old, but they lied about that too. The amount she has cost hubby, and us now that we're married is...astounding. And she's not even cute LOL. Seriously you better look like a furby and dance scottish jigs backwards eight ways to sunday while reciting rare and beautiful poetry and charging my ipod if you are costing me thousands on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, okay. I guess I'll be paying more like around $500 then? I want a purebred healthy chi... I just didn't realize chi's are so costly. And if they're registered as AKC is it definitely a purebred dog? Or can they also be registered falsely?

ETA: Thanks for the link, I'm reading it now :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you want a Chi that is standard you'll def have to pay more than $250 -$300 I got Shayley for $250 but she's obviously not standard (She's almost 10lbs) Of course I love her and wouldn't trade her for the world and she's the BEST to ME but I'm her mom LMAO! But if you want standard you'll have to pay more for sure! I never had any health issues with Shayley until a few months back but that was because I failed on my part to get her spayed =(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts