Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is what my husband calls them anyway...

Does anyone else notice chihuahuas make noises while playing that seem to be unique to chis?

We have had several foster chis (almost 10 counting overnight only guests) plus our girl now and we have noticed it is almost like they have their own language.

Our first foster girl was very old and NEVER barked, but made these noises (sorry, no better way to describe them). We first thought she had been de-barked and these were her failed attempts at noise, but then she started barking. Then we got our next fosters, a pair, one chi, one chi JRT mix, and they made these noises too! Ever foster chi has made them so far except one. Now our girl makes these chihuahua noises.

Anyone else notice this? Am i crazy? Is it just a tiny dog thing, not a chi thing?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes Bailey is quite loud when she plays. She also grunts when playing with us. She barely barks, it sounds muffled.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Yes, Lion makes the wimpiest noises when he is playing, he sounds so pathetic. Penny has this really deep growl that sounds like a big dog.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We had a chi named Gatsby who lives with one of my friends now; but he was so oddly vocal. He was NOT a barker... but boy did he make some really odd noises when he was playing. All kinds of groans and squeaks... very weird lol.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh ya she also "screams" when she's in her crate and wants out. Omg the first time I heard I was scared she was hurt.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah, when Daisy is playing with one of us, she makes these high pitched squeals, which really do sound like she's trying to speak! One of her squeals sounds like 'hello', which always has me laughing.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yup, both my Chi's make these weird little high pitched squeeling/yowling noises when they are playing. Its like someone is choking a cat!!LOL:rolleyes:
I esp love it when Heidi is playfighting with me, making all this noise then has to yawn in the middle (she just carries on yowling with the yawn!:D).
My Chiweenie takes after her Daxie side and she never makes these type of noises..:confused:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quigley makes the cutest little noises. I always call them his tribble noises. If anyone remembers that Star Trek episode.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, both my Chi's make these weird little high pitched squeeling/yowling noises when they are playing. Its like someone is choking a cat!!LOL:rolleyes:
I esp love it when Heidi is playfighting with me, making all this noise then has to yawn in the middle (she just carries on yowling with the yawn!:D).
My Chiweenie takes after her Daxie side and she never makes these type of noises..:confused:
Those are exactly the noises I am talking about! All dogs make noises when they are playing, but Chi's seem to have a certain pitch!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts