Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a few of you on here mention you had cats as well, so I was wondering if any of you had insight on the relationships between your chi(s) and cat(s). I myself have two cats, 4 yrs and 2yrs, and so far everything seems to be going ok. Cora chases them around like crazy, she likes to run under them and nip at their knees, but they usually play back. Sometimes I'm afraid they will hurt her because they are not declawed, but Cora always goes back for more. My only concern is the she will not let them jut relax with us like they used to, she always wants to chase them, especially if they are sitting on HER lap (AKA one of us). Will she calm down eventually, or will she always chase them around? (I'm dreaming of the day I see them fall asleep together, it was the cutest thing ever the first time I caught my two cats doing it!)

·
Registered
448 Posts
i hope my 2 cats a chi never stop fighting with each other its too funny that all they do is chase each other around the house all day, its funnier when the 2 cats team up on the dog and then he bites their tails and it goes on until theyre seperated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I still worry about my cat and Frasier. The cat is twice Frasier's size and he tolerates an incredible amount of crap from little Frasier. The cat is not declawed. A vet friend once told me declawing was cruel. They play so rough on a daily basis that I'm eventually going to get used to it. It still scares me when they roll around wrapped up in a big ball and the cat ends up on top. But, it's been a month and he controls his claws and they have a blast together.

We don't allow Frasier to run the cat out of a lap. We keep a water bottle in the room we frequent most. When Frasier is overly snappy with the cat, we squirt him. I too think it would be nice if Frasier would calm down enough as he grows so that I could find the two of them curled up asleep.

I think Frasier is helping keep the cat young - he's 12 years, Frasier is 5 months. Here's a pic of them together, or at least as close as they get together when they're both still.

Let's keep our cameras handy. Never know when they'll finally curl up and snooze. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sound exactly like me! I hold my breath when they are rolling around because my cats are 9 and 11lbs, and Cora is just over 3, and she's just barely 3 mo old now. I would just die if something happened to her, but I think the cats understand they can only do so much.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You could get some Soft Paws to put on your cats claws. They are rubber things in the shape of claws that you glue on. They do come off eventually, but then you just trim the cat's claw and put on a new one.My daughter uses these with her cat. It is an alternative to having them declawed and it keeps the furniture, etc., from being clawed, and also keeps a cat from accidentally scratching a puppy's eyes. :p

·
Registered
518 Posts
Megan777 said:
You sound exactly like me!
LOL That's what I said when I read your opening post in this thread.

Are your cats male or female? Ours, Henry, is a neutered male. He's never shown any signs of aggression toward Frasier or any one and I wonder if that's due to having been neutered when he was only a baby.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 15 year old cat, and a little chihuahua and they
get along great. They don't play--however this may be
due to the fact that the cat is old. It has been a long time
since he has been playful. The little chi we have had
almost 5 months--we found her at a gas station! No one
claimed her or reported her missing in lost/found ads
or called the dogcatcher to report her missing. So we
have kept her and have fallen madly in love with her!
She's a little doll. The vet estimated her age at about 6
years, and she's been spayed. When I took her to the
vet the day after finding her, the vet said she was malnourished.
She also had a bad gum infection which cleared up nicely
with antibiotics. My husband and I never had a dog before
but this little dog has made us wonder how we ever lived
without one!
I'm going to try to attach a picture of the dog and cat
sleeping in their Woolrich pet bed! One thing I'm interested
in knowing about -- if anyone can tell me--is why the little
dog never barks. I always heard that chihuahuas were little
"yappy dogs"--this dog is NOT. She never makes a sound
except little grunts when she's picked up and given
little kisses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One more picture of just the dog.
Her name is Brownie (I know that's such a boring
name)--DH named her after a childhood pet long,
LONG ago.

PS--my name is Sheila, it's really great to read
these posts and to be able to find answers to
questions I've had for these last 5 months.

I like it here!

·
Registered
11 Posts
PS--

It's probably a good thing the cat and dog don't
play. Look how much bigger the cat is than poor
little Brownie!

They love to lay on the recliner when it's all the
way "reclined"--LOL I can't think of a better way
to say that. They have a throw that is made
of Polartec that they have attached themselves to.
It's also in the picture.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
src - WELCOME and I'd like to say that your pictures are so adorable. I can't get over how big your cat is compared to your Chihuahua. They are both so cute though. :D

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wow! Look at the size of that cat! :shock: I don't have cats so I have been passing this thread by. I'm so glad I opened it! src your chi is adorable and so is your huge cat. :D Welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes, Boogaloo and SC!

I am so glad I found this place--I had some questions
about Brownie, so just did a "search" for chihuahuas
and TA DA--found this forum.

Yeah, the cat is big--he never misses a meal.
He's about the most gentle, easygoing cat ever.
He not only lets me bathe him, but he LOVES it.

Sheila

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What cute pics! :p

I can't imagine why little Brownie doesn't bark, but it may be a blessing in disguise. :wink: Maybe she's just real laid back and doesn't let anything get her worked up enough to bark about it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new puppy chi and my cat get along great. The puppy gets to the cat once in a while when the cat starts to looked peaved I just take the puppy into a differant room.

·
Registered
172 Posts
love it!

Hi Sheila! Welcome! Love your pics..what a great gift you received in finding that little chi!
Just a comment on the barking thing - my dog never barks either. When she does, it sounds more like a cough. She is a VERY quiet girl. I'm sure my neighbours don't even know I have a dog!

YAY FOR YOUR PETS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Everybody!

Yes, it may be a blessing in disguise that she doesn't
bark--she definitely is laid back. Maybe because she
is not a puppy. The vet said she was about six years old.
I did hear her growl once, very softly--at the cat about the
second day after we found her. Fred was licking her neck
and the back of her head--she stood it for quite awhile
then had to growl a little. She has never nipped or bitten
though.
The only thing I'd change about her if I could would be
LICKING. She's the licking-est dog I ever saw. I can't
believe a tiny dog can manufacture so much spit.
She is a definite gift--and one we weren't looking for,
which is kind of the best kind!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts