Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one and half year old male neutered cat at home and I am looking at getting a chi girl. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to introduce the two to each other? I'm worried that my cat wont like the change in his family and will feel left out. Also, will the cat attack the chi?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't think there will be a big problem as long as they're introduced right. When I brought Chico home, I had 2 cats, a boy and a girl...I usually carried Chico while around the cats because he was so small, only letting them play when I was on the floor with them. Just gradually introduce them, only letting the chi be up close with the cat when you're able to fully supervise. That way, the kitty will know to play nice and the chi won't be mean when she gets older either.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ditto what Chico's mama said. As long as you introduce them slowly and supervise carefully for awhile, things should be fine.

We did things the opposite way about a month ago. Angel is almost 8 months old and we introduced a kitten. I wasn't too sure at first how Angel would handle things especially because she had never seen a cat in her life but let me tell you, these two could not be any closer. They are the best of friends. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't think you'll have a problem at all, especially if you get a puppy. They're so tiny and, from the cat's perspective, non-threatening (ha!) that the cat won't mind it.

Be sure to have an area in the house that is "cats only". Start off before you get the pup, making that area special to the cat, whether it be playing with toys or getting brushed. That way, when puppy does show up, the cat knows if it wants to "escape", that spot in the house is all his/hers. Also, be sure to continue the attention in that spot, as well as around the house.

With my cat (that story is a whole different ballgame), I made sure that Cooper (the dog) knew OmaKitty was in charge from day one. He's not allowed near her food, near her bed, near anything of hers. She doesn't like Cooper at all but at least he leaves her belongings alone.

We had cats my entire life and our chis always loved them and the cats, for the most part, loved playing with the chis. Cooper would love to play with Oma but she's got issues of her own and she just won't. :(

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have 4 cats and 2 chis.
You didn't say anything about the cats claws. If it still has them you should think about keeping them clipped. Cats can put out a chis eye in a flash.

My cats have adjusted pretty well to the chis, but everyonce in a while one of them will get in a mood and swipe at the chis. You can tell by the look on a cats face whether or not it is playing. I believe cats are alot moodier than dogs and will take out their frustrations on whatever is available at the time.
I am home most of the time and NEVER leave the cats and chis alone together.
I am sure there are some people with cats that will swear their cat would never hurt their chi, and that may be true, but for the most part, I would rather be safe than sorry.
It will take many months of observation to determine if your cat does really accept the chi. Kittens have much easier time adjusting, because they don't know any different.

I'm not saying don't get the chi, just be prepared to deal with the situation and having to watch them constantly.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 2 cats and my Marcus. They don't get along very well. One of my cats did get aggresive with him but the other doesn't even give him the time of day. We don't leave them alone together. My cats usually stay in the patio and bedroom so I just close that door so Marcus won't get in. If they have claws watch them close.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. It looks like I will just have to wait and see when I get my chi how my cat is going to react. But I will make sure I don't leave them alone together at least until I am certain they get along. My cat does have claws because he goes outside so I will have to be really careful...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
From 20 years of experience in owning cats (of both sexes) I would say you will not have any real problems.

Male cats tend to be the more docile of the sexes, especially if they are neutered. I've had more problems with the female cats than the males when it comes to getting along.

Lexi has not had anything other than a quick bat from my cats for being too lively around them. She can play with the boys and they tolerate it, but if they're not in the playing mood, they run away or bat her without claws.
I personally think it's important for a young puppy, or kitten, to experience being "told-off" by an older cat because otherwise i'd certainly have 3 very terrorised cats!! :wink:

Hope it all goes well!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i brought mina over to my mom's and she has 6 cats one kitten, mina was bonkers happy to be around them, they did not like her too much. only one of them warmed up to her b, he was the crazy one. all the others swatted her and hissed they did not have a problem eating her food though. she loved the kitten but it ande her mom angry. i agree with every one else they will warm up but at their owm pace

·
Registered
402 Posts
My vet told me (during the first check up) to keep him away from cats. He said he would become a toy to a kitty. He was concerned about his eyes getting clawed at.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh it's definitely not a good idea to leave them alone together, I never do that with Lexi just incase.

So your vet is correct to warn you, but at the same time if you have a cat/s then eventually they'll have to meet. The last thing I wanted was for Lexi to be chasing cats aggressively.
When our cats die, and we get another kitten, at least I'll know Lexi will tolerate it and be gentle.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
35 years of owning cats and chis together and never once has a cat hurt a dog, intentionally or unintentionally.

I was about to defend OmaKitty but I remember something she does to Cooper that is quite frightening - but she has mental and emotional issues, so her behaviors are not "normal".

·
Registered
402 Posts
oh well that is good to know! A friend of mine has three cats and i have been avoiding going over there for fear Pedro would become a toy.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
when Cooper was a puppy, Oma was interested in him for about the first 24 hours, just checking him out and figuring out exactly WHAT he was.

I'm not sure what her conclusions were but she hasn't wanted anything to do with him since. I think it depends on the inquisitiveness of the cat, as well as the age and their level of play ... but from what I've seen, most cats either ignore dogs altogether, run from them or try to engage in play with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts