Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone give their chi immodium before?? I read on here in the home remedies that immodium can be given 0.5mg the tabs I have come in 2mg so I just gave my chi half of one which is 1mg so it's double the dose so I'm hoping it will be ok. I'm not going to give him anymore for the rest of the day. I just was googling online if an immodium overdose can occur and I probably should have read this before I gave it because now it has just made me worry. My chi has WATER diarrhea spraying out of his bum he doesn't even know when he goes and it flies literally everywhere I just threw my whole entire bed in the washing machine and had to leave him in the tub for awhile as he kept running away outside when it would squirt out. I fed him a small amount of white rice and the half tab of immodium and the squirting has stopped so far (KNOCKS ON WOOD).

I'm worried I gave too much now anyone else given half a tab before and been fine?

PS I think he has this because I fed him some salmon last night, it just started coming out like this about 2 hrs ago. I feel so bad for my baby

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
You should really ask the vet - any advice given on here or found anywhere on the internet should always be checked with the vet first :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks I have been making him drink water and won't give him any of his dinner! He seems fine with the immodium but I don't think it worked he's still squirting :(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
PS I think he has this because I fed him some salmon last night, it just started coming out like this about 2 hrs ago. I feel so bad for my baby
I'm afraid I can't help you with the Immodium question, but I have a little anecdotal information about fish. The worst runs Tango ever had was when I fed him a little specialty treat that was really expensive, and it was a small salmon piece wrapped in~~I think~~chicken. I know he's fine with chicken, he gets it all the time in treats. But it was the fish that did him in! He had the runs for 24 hours straight, and though it didn't squirt out like you described, he just couldn't control his bowels at all, it just seemed to dribble out of him without him even being aware of it! It was awful. :( I had to gate him in the bathroom because it, at least, is tiled, and easy to clean up. Luckily I had a pretty thick throw on the couch which I was able to put in the washer. But I had to scrub the carpet in my computer/sitting room over and over again to get the stain, and the smell, out of it!

I wonder, if he's expelling it so forcefully, if he also has gas along with the diarrhea?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he doesn't know when it's coming because when it happens it scares him and he runs which makes it fly all over the place the diarrhea hasn't appeared for about an hour now but he is throwing up the rice he had earlier. I haven't put the sheets back on my bed and thank god I have no carpet in my whole house and a plastic mattress protector on my mattress. I made a little area for him on my bed with blankets all around so if he has an accident it will be on his own blankets which then i can just throw in the wash. He doesn't want to be alone right now and If I lock him somewhere else he will be devastated and whine out of control. He's been resting for awhile now but has thrown up 3 times. I feel bad for the guy I'm going to wait it out and hope it goes away in 24hrs otherwise he'll need a visit to the vet.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I hope he's feeling better soon. :( I'd probably ring the vet myself...especially after the vomitting. At any rate...I do hope he feels better.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vet is closed now I'm sure he will be fine he just needs to ride it out.

Here's a pic of him all cuddled up getting some rest

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, what a sweet heart. Hopefully the worst is behind him & he'll be able to continue to rest it out all comfy in his blankies. :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke too soon the runs are back :( luckily he had gas first this time so I got him outside in time :( seems like it will be a long long night ahead. Hopefully he will be able to get some rest.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
With all of this watery stool, I would worry about dehydration. make sure he is drinking water. if you have any rice, you can cook the rice and then drain off the rice water. Cool the rice water and let him drink some of that...

·
Registered
923 Posts
How big is he? If he's standard size, and has had the runs this long with no end in sight I would rush him to ER vet NOW. Heck, even a bigger chi at this point I'd rush in.

Dehydration can cause all sorts of other problems. Serious problems. Because of the vomit, as well, he could have many things wrong with him that he won't just "get over".. he may need medications, and the sooner you get him in, the better.

How are his gums? Pale? If you tent the skin on his back, does it fall back down immediately or stay tented for a second or two?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he hasnt drank water for an hour or so now his gums are normal pink colour and I pulled his skin before reading this and he's not dehydrated I just called the emergency vet and they said they aren't allowed to recommend any human medications for animals. I've been keeping a good eye on him he is seriously my baby I love him to death. I put all the sheets back ont he bed and hes been cuddling with me. I also put a puppy pad under him in case he has an accident. I won't be able to sleep anyways I have natural mother instincts and my body always wakes me up when my animals are ill. I have a bowl of water in my room which I normally do not have but I think he's just exhausted and doesn't feel like any water right now. I'm aware of dehydration and all the signs and what can happen as a result. The emergency vet just said to keep an eye on him and make sure he's getting fluids and to bring him in if anything changes.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: He had half a bowl of water should be good til the morning thank goodness I can't believe he got that ill from some salmon my other 2 chis also had some and are fine

·
Registered
923 Posts
It could just be a reaction to the fish. :) I have that one myself.. no fish in my diet! Or I'll be the one huddled under blankets with a pee pad under my bum. ;) LOL

As long as he stays hydrated, I think you're in the clear. A =-lot-= of people have no idea just how dangerous it can be! Sounds like you know what you're doing. :)

Try vaseline on his bum, instead of poly. It works much nicer. ;)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ohhh I didn't think of vaseline thanks for the tip. I called the vet today because he had an accident in the night and when I woke up in the morning there was blood on the pad. They just said feed him nothing, don't give anymore immodium and give him small amounts of rice. I offered him rice when I got home and he didn't eat it. I think the runs have stopped Prolly isn't anything left in there. His bum is so raw and bleeding I feel so bad for him I left my class 2 hrs early to make sure I was home with him even though he had my mother staying with him, it's not the same as being with your mommy when your sick LOL He will never get fish again holy cow if I knew this would be the outcome I would have spared him the pain :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts