Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Paco's mom here. Paco and I were wondering if anyone here had ever had their chi certified as an assitance or therapy dog? I would like to take him to nursing homes, etc since he is such a tiny ball of joy, but do not recall ever seeing a chi certified for that type of work. Of course , I am pretty sure it can be done since my great dane, Raven (r.i.p sweet baby) was certified as my assistance animal , and you don't see danes doing that type of work very often either. Mainly wondering how much sucess can be had with it, or if it would even be recommended because of how teeny tiny chis are?

·
Registered
164 Posts
yes!!! any dog can qualify, as long as they pass certain tests...usually the Canine Good Citizen test and then there's a therapy dog certification!
I would love to do this with my dog, too...unfortunately, she is vocally dog aggressive with other dogs, and that is part of the test here where I live :-( So it would be a lot of work for me!

But I say go for it! Who wouldn't love to cuddle with a cute little chi to boost their spirits!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lotus' sire is a therapy dog but were in the uk. Any breed can be therapy dogs different countries have diff requirements

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all :) We are definately going to shoot for it! I took Paco with me Friday to visit my grandparents , who just moved into a retirement community, and the ladies and gentlemen there all wanted to pet him and say HI, so I was thinking it would be great to get him certified and take him to see everyone on a more regular basis.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have two border collies that are certified therapy dogs and they love it. I think Lilo would really enjoy it but at the moment I don't have time to do the visits. Here the test is made up of the good citizen test, a noise sensitivity test where they drop a baking pan to make sure the dog isn't too noise phobic, a test with a person in strange clothes and using a walker or crutches or a wheelchair to make sure the dog is okay with people dressed and moving strangely, a test to make sure the dog doesn't lick too much or jump up. They also scatter food on the floor to make sure the dogs can leave stuff on the floor alone.

For the record. There is a vast difference between therapy and assistance dogs. Therapy dogs to to nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc to bring joy and comfort to others. Assistance dogs are trained to do specific tasks for a disabled individual, like seeing eye dogs and hearing dogs. When you call to see what you need to do to get your dog certified make sure you ask about the right certification.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a Bichon, Cosmo, who has been a certified therapy dog for more than four years now. We visit the children't library and really love doing it. I think Lavender would be a great therapy dog and plan to get her certified in a while, maybe a couple of years. A lady from the certifying organization met Lavender and said she agrees that Lavender would make an excellent therapy dog. Check with your local certifiying organizations and see what it takes. Cosmo is certified through the University of Tennessee Vet School program called H.A.B.I.T., Human-Animal Bond In Tennessee.

Jeanette

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, Raven was assitance for me, not therapy and I never really took her into any places to volunteer. I've got a few medical problems. but I would LOVE to take Paco when I go to visit people, etc, and would LOVE to volunteer and help bring joy to others in any way I can.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hello, I'd like to help you out with any questions you have regarding assistance dogs. I myself have a pschyatric service dog. She is a female 2 1/2 year old Chinese Shar-Pei. I trained her myself. She goes eveywhere. I plan to train my chi as a service dog as well. So any questions you have feel free to ask me. You can pm me if you would like. As for a therapy dog, the difference is that a therpy dog is trained to willing walk away from the handler and go to others. The first big step is the AKC CGC test. But before that, it is all about socialzation.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Another thing I'd like to add is, it is a good idea to purchase a therapy dog vest, or leash wrap. Something that says therapy dog. You can find find I.D.s on the internet as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts