Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So do those stylish and awesome carriers enable you to take your chi into places where pets aren't allowed or are they still not allowed? I've seen one or two in the malls and grocery stores before just being held but I don't know if they ever got in trouble for it or not. Has anyone been able to bring their chi to crazy places like school or the movies or to dinner or just out shopping?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
ha ha! this is going to be a loaded topic.
I remember when I posted a thread about bags it got really insane.
Some people feel Chi's are dogs and should never be put in a bag or taken in places where big dogs are not allowed.

Now for my opinion.:D

I take AJ everywhere I go for the most part.
He goes shopping with with me anywhere and the only attention we get is favorable, people always want to know about him and want to pet him.
I've only encountered one place so far that he was not allowed in, and this was a Tattoo shop on Queen street in Toronto :cool:

In Montreal, big dogs are not allowed on transit but dogs in bags are ( I didn't make the rules!) in Toronto all dogs are allowed on transit.

Generally when I am in public he is in his bag with his head popped out, if someone gets to close or seems weird to him he sucks his head inside the bag and then nobody can get near him, I like this as it feels safe for him and for me. I've concluded my dog throughly enjoys shopping with me :coolwink:
I just stick the bag in the top of the cart and usually he sleeps, I've been doing this since I brought him home however, so this may be conditioning, he is also totally fine in the Metro and on Toronto's subway system.. neither phases him.

My dog has been allowed at Pubs, and at the Terrace of local restaurants, I have not tried to take him inside an actual restaurant nor would I. The last office I worked in was dog friendly, people used to bring pit bulls to work.

Really it just depends on so many variables.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
No, people just use those bags to smuggle them in. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes you get asked to leave.

I've only smuggled my baby in once when we first got her. I was alone and had to stop at Wal-Mart. She went into the bag and I went into the store. Nobody said anything negative. She was like 10 weeks old at the time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I take my smaller chi with me almost everywhere. SHe loves going for rides in the car and with me, whereas my older chi is more reserved and nervous and doesn't enjoy that. I have a dog purse that is a sling style and it does not look like a carrier at all. I use that, or often times if I am out with her and have to run in somewhere i wasn't planning, I just pop her in my regular purse. She is not a barky or aggressive dog at all and sleeps or peaks out. I have never, ever been asked to leave anywhere I have been with her and if I am not sure, I ask and have never been told no. I had to take her this week into swim practice (in a high school) and was rather embarrassed because I don't just assume since she is little that it is ok to bring her anywhere. I had no bag and it was storming like mad so my boys didn't want me to leave (to go do errands) and I didn't want to leave her in the car. But I asked the coaches and apologized for having her with me. They loved her. I think as with most things, if you are up front and ask if you are not sure, most people are fine with the dogs in their bag. Maya has gone shopping to many stores, including Walmart and sporting stores, gone to get a hair cut with me, etc. I wouldn't take her to a medical facility nor church and I also don't ever take her to other people's houses without permission.

Anyway, that's my long-winded answer. Never ever has she been kicked out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 2 chis go EVERYWHERE with me!! We have multiple dog purses and most places allow me to bring them in. However, I have "smuggled" them in places that I know wouldn't allow them cause it's too hot to leave them in the car. Just today we went shopping for 4 hours and they both came with. They are both very good and quiet in their bag and give me no problems at all. I, too, have done this since they were babies so they are sooo used to it. They know as soon as I put them in their bag that they are to be quiet. I love my pups and love taking them out shopping with me!! Just the other day I took them both in Old Navy and the girls that worked there went nuts over them!! Most places welcome quiet, friendly dogs in bags. I haven't had any problems. In fact, my puppies are getting ready to go on vacation with me 13 1/2 hours away from home!!! I cannot wait!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Same here mommasboy!

I take my dog into all kinds of stores! The worst that has happened so far was at Winners when the crazy old lady tried to grab at him in the bag and told me he was gay because he was wearing a pink harness. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am of that opinion lol, suppose we are all different. Dogs are not allowed in restaurants/food stores etc and chi's are no different to other dogs even if they are in a carrier.
I know and I guess the problem is though that small dogs ARE treated differently than big dogs. Is it fair? quite possibly not, however I am not complaining again everyone has a choice in breed, I chose a teeny dog due to my lifestyle.

Actually my Chi is allowed in the grocery store, all the cashiers know him.
I don't take him IN restaurants, just terraces where he is allowed. Keep in mind I live in Canada and possibly it's different here.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I wouldn't take her to the supermarket but I refuse to leave her in the car or tie her ip outside theft anyone?? I've asked shops of she can come in and all they say is as long as she doesn't pee on the carpet.

What I want to know is if it doesn't say no dogs outside is can we take our dogs

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I know and I guess the problem is though that small dogs ARE treated differently than big dogs. Is it fair? quite possibly not, however I am not complaining again everyone has a choice in breed, I chose a teeny dog due to my lifestyle.

I don't take him IN restaurants, just terraces where he is allowed. Keep in mind I live in Canada and possibly it's different here.
Yeah I think it is true, it is much more acceptable over in America than Britain, I think it is more dog friendly over with you. I enjoy sitting out having lunch and taking Rocky as well, there is a nice place here that has gardens that you can sit and eat.

I wouldn't take her to the supermarket but I refuse to leave her in the car or tie her ip outside theft anyone?? I've asked shops of she can come in and all they say is as long as she doesn't pee on the carpet.

What I want to know is if it doesn't say no dogs outside is can we take our dogs
Sarah I think as long as its not a food shop it is fine to take them in, if I am out a walk I will pop into the bank with Rocky but I always lift him up into my arms.

I just don't do carriers, just not my thing at all, I would rather pop into a shop and lift him in my arms or if Tony is with me he will stand outside with Rocky.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah most places here wont let dogs in.
I just get J to stand outside while i nip into shops.
I have stopped using the carrier apart from in the car for Darla too.

The candy shop on my street lets them in though cause the woman that owns it loves them.
I also found the carphone warehouse was cool about it too.
They mainly just go into Pets at home or other pet shops in my area.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have carriers but tend to forget them so she is in my arms I agree tho I think small dogs especially chis are more accepted in the states than here

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Ive took mine into shops. I once took Layla in Topshop and the staff weren't bothered at all, they just came over and asked to stroke her and stuff.
Ive never tried a grocery shop. I think i would get chucked out straight away because of there being food there and with some people being allergic to dogs etc.
I would only take my dogs into a resturant where they were allowed and if they weren't allowed inside and there was an outside area, i would sit outside with them.
I dont really use my carriers anymore, i just normally lift the dogs into my arms.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm not against dogs being in carriers at all. However, I have a problem with dogs of any size being smuggled in any place they aren't allowed. Some places, regardless of what the local employees may say at the door, can be shut down and severely fined for allowing a dog in. Walmart is a good example of this. If it's a regular Walmart, which are few and far between anymore, then no problem. If it's a SuperWalmart that sells food, health department can close them with a quickness. Resturants are the same, unless they have outside dining, which means the dog isn't in the building with the kitchen.

I take mine anywhere I can legally take them. I've been in some places like Lowe's that they were fine with the dogs. The next Lowe's may so no way. No harm, no foul. I leave with my dog. Maybe it's because I'm a business owner myself that I tend to look at the legalities of it. But I know how I would feel if my livelyhood was forced closed because a customer decided to sneak in a dog that I didn't even know about.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have never had a problem taking mine anywhere. Everyone is really friendly and happy to see them. That said, I have never taken mine into a food related place, (markets or restaurants) however, I have seen people with their dogs in a carrier in markets and there was no mention made of it, maybe because they were contained in the carrier, or maybe they simply weren't spotted.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Depends on the store. ;) Some stores will look the other way & others ask you to leave. The only place where I DON'T use a carrier are places like pet stores, hardware stores (they love doggie visitors!) & the such. Places that sell beauty products (Rite Aid, Dollar Store, etc), movie stores, gift shops, etc I always use a carrier because I don't think it would be appropriate to have a dog walking around where they could shed or potty or something. That's JMO & the stores may or may not agree. That's just what I feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

just jumping in here, all size dogs can be a service dog and go into ANY place if with Cert for them or during the training for it.
I have many friends that have done this with their chis and have went to the movies and other places you wouldn't think they were allowed.

·
Registered
809 Posts
just jumping in here, all size dogs can be a service dog and go into ANY place if with Cert for them or during the training for it.
I have many friends that have done this with their chis and have went to the movies and other places you wouldn't think they were allowed.
This statement bothers me greatly. Getting dogs certified as service dogs when they are not greatly cheapens the real service dogs out there. If one of these fake service dogs reacts badly to a stimulus that a real service dog is trained to handle and hurts someone, etc then it makes all service dogs look bad. Please remember that people depend on these dogs to make them independent when they have a disability ... it's not something anyone should lie about just to be able to take their dog to the movies!! :foxes15:

I feel very strongly about this topic. I hate seeing small dogs in stores that clearly have signs saying "no pets". Just because they are in carriers does not excuse the fact that they are in the store! It's illegal in many cases. How would you feel if you were the reason a store or restaurant was shut down? Just because you though you were above the law because your dog is 4 lbs instead of 40 lbs?

Why is is necessary to take the dog grocery shopping? I love to take my dogs places and they love to go. So I pick dog friendly places, restaurants with outdoor patios, lowes, etc for our outings. And if I'm asked to leave I do. If I see a sign that says 'no pets' I don't try to sneak in my dog!

And please keep in mind that all countries, states, cities and individual stores have different rules. Here in the US dogs are not allowed in establishments that serve food or sell food or places where the owner has said no dogs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts