Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Nemo's nails are getting abit long I was wonder do you recommend cliping or fileing them down cos of his size unsure which to do.

Sarah

·
Registered
530 Posts
We bought a nail clipper designed for a cat, it's about the right size for the little chi nails, and we clip about every other week (I don't take much off because I'm always afraid of cutting to short). I asked the vet tech to show me how to do it when I went in the first time with Charlie. He's really good about the front nails but is a little wiggle worm when I try to do the back legs, belly rubs and treats and he lets me trim them. :roll:

It's a good idea to trim them they can get stuck in carpet and they hurt when they scratch :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have a cat nail clipper as well. I tried cutting Lily's nails a few times but after I cut one too short and drew blood, I threw in the towel. I started paying her daycare to do it once a month but now they do it for free, maybe twice a month. Why they no longer charge me, I have no idea. I'm just grateful since daycare is a big line item in my monthly budget. Some people work to live, I work to pay for Lily's daycare. :lol:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
We share the nails between my daughter and i doing it ( i hold :D )when she visits from Cambridge as shes at University, when shes not around we go to the vets and they do it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my vet showed me how to clip my little girls nails..now i do it about every 2 or 3 weeks....the first time i was really nervous but after the first couple clips you get the hang of it...my vet told me if you do happen to cut to short its not the end of the world it really doesnt hurt them that much just put a little baking soda on the nail and it stops the bleeding....i only cut alittle off because i dont want to chance the bleeding anyway though

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My vet showed me how to clip Jasmine's nails too, but I am so afraid of cutting to far and into the quick. Having her nails trimmed is Jasmine's all time "unfavorite" thing, and she squirms so much, I wait until my granddaughter is here, and I hold her while she trims the nails. Yeah, I know - I'm chicken. LOL But I keep telling my granddaughter - "oh, you do so much better job than me" LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts