Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else feel that their Chi is stuck at the puppy phase of life??
Dont get me wrong, I love it!! Heidi in particular always wants to be snuggling and crawling under my jumper, and if she goes out for a wee she comes straight back in again without even a sniff of the perimeter fences!!:D
Other breeds tend to grow out of that constant need to be touching you and seem abit more independent but Chi's always seem like little puppies in there behaviour.
Anybody else found this or are my 2 just clingy and abit daft??LOL:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Oh yeah i think you are right.
I love that about them.
My 2 love nothing more than being on my lap.
They follow me all over the house too, i love to hear their little feet behind me haha!!

I have had other dogs and after they are pups they tend to want their own space.
One of our huskies is like that a lot, he likes to be petted but if i do it for too long then he sighs and walks off. lol
The chi's seem to need me more, and plus being the smallest dog i have ever had they look like pups to me.
Some people even ask if Daisy is a puppy and when i say no she is 3 years old they are shocked.
I dont think folk realise just how small chi's are till they see them for themsleves.
They are still very much dogs in every way though, just the most cuddly of breeds to me, and ever so loyal and loving.
The good thing is, the people that have met them around here say they have changed their minds about the breed being ankle biters and yappers, so that is good too. x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im so glad they are so puppylike all the time coz I think a regular dog would get fed up with me in next to no time!! Im terrible for constantly kissing and cuddling my lot!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I agree totally, I adore the breed because I love how loving they are! they are sooo cuddly. AJ is my shadow! he follows me all over. He is always on my lap.

I've never seen this in another breed before, so accepting of all the kisses!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think that's pretty much what chihuahuas and other small breeds have been bred to be... perpetual puppies. They retain puppy/baby characteristics that cause adults to want to baby and take care of them. They are the same characteristics that babies of all species have, humans included. The large eyes, small noses, large heads, etc. They also retain the baby attitudes, the snuggling, etc.

Other breeds start out with that look but they grow out of it and start to look like adults with eyes that become more proportional, noses that match their head size, etc. It's a distinct difference between puppies and adults. There is not as much of a difference between baby, adolescent and adult chihuahuas and other toy breeds.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Absolutely find it to be true. I have several that are perpetual puppies. They just never grow up. However, even the adults that have matured with age make you want to baby them so we're lucky with Chis. They are made for snuggling!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Lola is still a pain in the bum at times lol. She's out of most of her annoying habits but has one that drives us all CRAZY.

She lats us know when she wants a toilet which is great. But every single time it's when a good programme is on. She'll pester, pester, pester. So we take her out to the garden where she sniffs every single thing for ages and does nothing. So back in we go. And again pester, pester, pester! So up we get again and take her out where we wait for ages again.

She will not go to the toilet unless one of us is watching her. I can have the door open and she'll be outside and she'll come back in to get me to watch her go toilet. And she doesn't just do it. She gets me then takes ages to do it.

It's so annoying at times lol. The others I just plonk outside and they do it straight away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love being Frida's favorite! The companionship and snuggles are wonderful. I live in house of all boys. She really makes me feel special with always being with me. I've only had her about 3 weeks so it might wear off some but for now I love being her constant friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts