Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you all know Lori and I will be getting Lex and Minka soon! YAY! haha, but I just wanted your opinion on something. We moved into our new apartment, and its 2 stories. Our rooms are on the second story. Just curious if any of you who have 2 story houses did anything special to prevent your babies from falling off or tumbling down. The weird thing about our stairs are they are open loft style. So if they decided to play on the stairs, one could just roll right off the edge even from the highest step, and this terrifies me. BUT this is what we conjured up. We will have 2 baby gates at both ends of the stairs, so they could never actually walk on the stairs only we could carry them, and at the very top where their is railing, were going to put mesh so they dont slip underneth it. It sounds pretty chi proof to me. :D But I was just wondering if any of you had clever little ideas to help your chi learn that the stairs are very dangerous for them. Thanks guys for the advice! :D

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
mmm paris (and now vienna too ) can go up the stairs
during the day , i put a pannel in front of it .......but she doesn't go up by herself ....only if i'm home ,and i go upstairs ...the little devils are right behind me :D

your stairs does sound dangerous to me :shock: , but you took great measures !!! i don't think there is more you can do ...except when you see them going to the stairs...say no firmly :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would see about getting some sort of gate or finding something that can block the entrance of the stairs off. I'll google it and see if I can find a link for you.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
i have a gate at the top of the steps only for Bindi, as Kemo wont go down. Bindi is still curious :roll:

·
Registered
518 Posts
During the first week I had Frasier I watched in absolute horror as he rolled all the way down the steps. I didn't know he could come up them, but he somehow managed it.

I did the same as you - both bottom and top blocked and the meshing. Teach them that the stairs are absolute no-nos and don't ever let them walk on them. If they do it once and think it's fun, they'll always want to do it again.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, Thank you guys! Yeah I think our plan of having 2 gates at both ends of the stairs will be just fine. Thanks for the links Chico's Mama, there are some great products on there. We still have a few weeks til we get them, but were trying to get the aprarment perfect for them when they get here! Were so excited!! :D :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
good for you for puppy proofing and coming up with safety issues. might i suggest you get down on all fours and get a puppy's eye view of the surroundings. i did that before i had my daughter and you'd be amazed the things you find that you didn't think of!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
TiffsLilChi said:
Awesome, Thank you guys! Yeah I think our plan of having 2 gates at both ends of the stairs will be just fine. Thanks for the links Chico's Mama, there are some great products on there. We still have a few weeks til we get them, but were trying to get the aprarment perfect for them when they get here! Were so excited!! :D :D
No prob :D I have to get myself a few new gates...the new place we're moving to is 3 stories :shock: so we have A LOT of puppy proofing to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When Reba first came home, she couldn't do the stairs. As she grew, she learned to handle them and now she flies up and down them. But, my stairs have a solid wall on the sides. If it gets old having to keep the gates up all the time and your pups get good at wanting to sneak thru, maybe you can get some sort of gate/fabric/fencing/material or whatever to incorporate into the rail posts so that your critters can't slip thru and fall to the lower level. Reba actually thinks she is hot stuff on the stairs :p

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
We have four steps coming into the house and we have 2 steps going up tot he bathroom and 2 very small steps going from the bathroom tot he bedroom..

The first thing Gadget learned was the small steps going into the bedroom... they are like half as high as normal steps..

He then learned to go up the bathroom steps by jumping up and the tumbing hopping up the top half of the step.. he thought he was hot stuff.. it was so cute... but he wouldn't go down them... until one day he was up in the bedroom with mark and I was in the livingroom and out he came running...

he flies up and down them now... he loves going up and down the outside ones because they have carpet on them.... he will stand at the bottom of the steps until I walk through the door and hold it open for him then he runs up the steps and into the house...

Good luck with puppy proofing....

Th one thing you want to make sure of is the heat vents.. make sure the holes are small enough so that their little feet don't get caught in them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts