Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how chi's were with bigger breeds, like 30 or 40 lbs dogs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my girl Keona is fine with any dog she knows but can be funny with ones she doesnt , she plays often with 2 big dogs and they get along really well , she has been highly socialized from the day i got her but she still has a bit of attitude .

·
Registered
912 Posts
My three are regularly around a 45lb cattle dog and a 90lb lab/bernard mix.

Finn barely tolerates them. He will lunge at them and growl and bark... We're working on it... Luckily, they are terrified of him. lol. It's actually sad because they really do get their feelings hurt! :(

Lo likes them enough. She lets them sniff her, she sniffs them. If it's been a few days she even wags her tail and runs to them. lol. :) But she doesn't like if they get too excited or rhyled up! I think it kinda makes her nervous, and she will bark and kick to tell them to stop. haha

Dexter adores them. Runs over wagging his tail every time! He trys to jump on them if they are laying down, and he runs underneath them and between their feet, which terrifies me. Usually the big dogs are good and just stand there looking and wagging their tails at him, but sometimes they get too excited and try to play. It just makes me nervous. Their paws are bigger than his whole head, and those nails are like daggers in his face!

So it's supervised visits only. But the interaction is good for them I think. They all seem to enjoy themselves (except for Finn who can excuse himself;)).

ETA: note, these large dogs are extremely well behaved. There are some large dogs that I would not trust, and I think every situation is different.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
we have mastiffs! the mastiffs are fine with the chis but we never leave them unsupervised even though the mastiffs are old and gentle I would never want to risk any accidental injuries such as getting stepped on etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much it was really helpful.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sherri ur mastiff`s are gorgeous!!!

My chi`s are not so great with bigger dogs.. well mainly Penny! She doesnt like most dogs other than Chi`s! Lola`s not too bad she just stays away tho x

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Sherri ur mastiff`s are gorgeous!!!

My chi`s are not so great with bigger dogs.. well mainly Penny! She doesnt like most dogs other than Chi`s! Lola`s not too bad she just stays away tho x
thanks amy!!

as a whole all of our dogs get along but Prada is scared of the mastiffs they try to sniff her and she just runs away lol, Ninja has bit max my male mastiff int he face a couple of times max would never do anything back but it is an example of why they should never be left unsupervised even if both parties are gentle and get along anything can happen with your back turned and because chis are so little and fragile I just would never want to risk it there was someone recently who posted a thread where their chi got pawed (i think) by a border collie and her head swelled up you can search for it in the forum search

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know I don't have a chi yet....*sighs*....
I just would be wary about letting a smaller dog play with a larger dog.
My eskie had her leg accidently broken by a playful black lab. The lab was a playmate from the neighbor and never showed any signs of aggression, just happened to roll over on top of her and that's all it took.

·
Registered
768 Posts
thanks amy!!

as a whole all of our dogs get along but Prada is scared of the mastiffs they try to sniff her and she just runs away lol, Ninja has bit max my male mastiff int he face a couple of times max would never do anything back but it is an example of why they should never be left unsupervised even if both parties are gentle and get along anything can happen with your back turned and because chis are so little and fragile I just would never want to risk it there was someone recently who posted a thread where their chi got pawed (i think) by a border collie and her head swelled up you can search for it in the forum search
ur welcome!

It must be so easy for bigger dogs to accidently hurt our little chi`s... the other week i was at the beach with the girls and i always keep them on the lead and a puppy lab came bouncing over (he was cute his whole body was wriggling ) and his tail was sooo powerful... my girls totally freaked but the pup thought they were playing! the owner came running over and rescued my girls ( and me!!) and off the lab went runnin up the beach!! but it could of caused a accident if they wernt on the lead.. our babies are sooo delicate! x

·
Registered
88 Posts
When ever i have taken my little chi to the dog park all the bigger dogs (St bernards, rotties ect..) have been really good with her! When she sees another dog approach her, she just stands still, lets them sniff her, and then they usually walk away as she doesn't show any interest in playing or running with them. I haven't had any issues with any other dogs when I'm out, or with my little one getting snippy with them.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My chi's share their life with my 55 pound lab/pitt mix. I trust Bouncer inplicitly with the little ones. He really is a gentle giant. He plays mostly with Smoke, Lexxi and Xena, though lately Pepper is trying to get him to play, too. The chis are faster than him, so they can run circles around him and stay out of his way when they are playing chase in the back yard. He has never hurt any animal ever and we have had stray cats and stray dogs come home with me all his life. While my daughter is at school, he's really her dog, he hangs out on the couch in the dog room with all of us everyday.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think it just depends on the dog and how much they've been around other big dogs. As soon as we got brought Roxy home, there was a Great Dane outside my apartment. So, she met him! I just held her the whole time. She was a little scared, obviously, because that was the first time she had ever seen another dog besides a chi. But, I think that helped her very much in the long run!

I have two labs... both about 60 to 70 pounds. Somewhere around there. Roxy LOVES them. The first time meeting them she growled a bit, etc.. but now, they are best friends!! She LOVES playing with them. My one lab is 10 years old... so she doesn't really even care to be around Roxy, but my other lab is only 3 years old.. she's very wild. But she is SOOOOO gentle with Roxy. They love each other.

So really, I think it depends on the dog and how you introduce them, etc. :)

I know some people are nervous of letting their chi's play with bigger dogs... My labs are not aggressive at all, and like I said, they know to be gentle because they realize how small she is... But even one wrong move, or step, or roll could hurt the little tiny baby. As long as you supervise and stop things if they do get a little too wild, I think everything should be okay. Things do happen sometimes though, but hopefully not! My chi and labs love each other, so I don't want to take them away from each other just because the labs are big. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts