Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am in the middle of doing research into what breed of dog to get and one of my main considerations is ensuring that my two house rabbits will be safe with which ever dog we get. I don't want to put them at risk or worry every time I leave the furries at home together.
Has anyone had experience with Chihuahuas getting along (or not getting along) with other family pets such as rabbits? I know that Chihuahua's are meant to have a high prey instinct but wondered if it was actually more down to training.
All thoughts are very much welcome.
-Kathy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else comes across it, I thought Id chime in. We have 2 chi's......male and female.......and they both LOVE to play with my daughters 2 rabbits when she lets them out. Both were slow, and cautious at first, but never any aggression. Now when they see her going to open their pen to let them out, they run up to play! This of course may not be true with all chi's, so of course keep a close eye. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else comes across it, I thought Id chime in. We have 2 chi's......male and female.......and they both LOVE to play with my daughters 2 rabbits when she lets them out. Both were slow, and cautious at first, but never any aggression. Now when they see her going to open their pen to let them out, they run up to play! This of course may not be true with all chi's, so of course keep a close eye. ;)
I feel like chis are excellent around other animals.
However, Cuddles did once chase a rabbit, but she didn't even kill it. I still wouldn't trust her with rabbits, guinea pigs, etc., but that's her. I don't even know if she would chase a pet that was just sitting there and night running away.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think it depends on the chihuahua. If you get a young chi, then you could introduce the rabbits to the baby. If you get an older chi, then I would leash or have a way to redirect him/her quickly, if things get ugly. Remember rabbits can kick, so be on the alert for aggression from either pet.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
My daughter has Gidgets parents we rescued and rescued a rabbit recently that is much larger than them. They do not pay him any attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts