Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago this amazing chiweenie named Frisco came into my life. He is absolutely perfect, but I've noticed that he is defensive around new people. He is a rescue, is quite comfortable around other dogs and some people, but others he will stand beside me and bark and growl. He is quite attached to me so I'm not sure if he is trying to defend me, or if it is jealousy or fear. His body position reads as quite casual when he does it, he still seems relaxed but his ears are alert. He has done it so far with a friend of my family (a very tall lady with a loud voice) and my best friend (a very excitable guy).

I have no experience with this breed, chihuahuas or dachshunds so I'd love to know how I might address this. My best friend in particular has no experience with dogs so the growling made him nervous- would love to work through this as he's a rescue and I'm not sure if this is related to some past trauma with certain kinds of people or if it's just normal behaviour for these breeds.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just going off your given information, I would say the dog is picking up on these persons' energies and they are making him uncomfortable. Ask the people to be calm and quiet around the dog - no loud talking, fast movements, or eye contact. It would even be good if they didn't have their bodies directly facing the dog, until he is settled around them. Once he is more settled, you can try feeding him treats when they're around, working toward having them feed him treats, and then eventually you can fade the treats out and he should still see them as people who bring good things instead of scary things. It make take some time.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I agree with Marty. Plus he's still getting used to his new environment. Just keep socializing and introducing him to new sounds, sites and people. He will get better over time.😊

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Have the 'visitors' toss tiny bits (size of a pea) of cheese stix, chicken etc when they come into a room. Don't touch him or stare at him. Calmly have them come into the room and sit down. When they leave, he may go after them too. Same thing, toss something good as they leave, so dog isn't focused on them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Followed your guy's advice and now it's going a lot better. Andres says that maybe Frisco is feeling competitive because "there's only one Latino man allowed" in my life. It seems to be a consistent problem just with Andres- another female friend of mine visited (and she is just as flamboyant as he) and Frisco was giving her kisses right away. Hmmmmmm...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts