Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding Chloe and Colette Natural Balance (the best that I could find at Petco, but I have found out that another local store now sells Oriejen so I will be switching! Planning on a trip to that store this weekend and will be slowly converting over to that!). The first bag I bought was Duck and Sweet Potato, then when I ran out of that I bought Bison and Sweet Potato and ever since I bought the Bison formula Chloe has decided her poos are a nice tasty treat which is really grossing me out big time! Anyway I am assuming that it is the taste of the Bison that has caused this turn of events - I don't really know! I read that if you mix pumpkin in with their food this may stop them from doing this, because supposidly it taste good going down but horrible when it comes back out??? But will pumpkin give her the runs? How much pumpkin should I give her? I saw where you can buy this stuff to give them to stop them from eating it too, but I don't want to give her something like that. Then I also read to sprinkle some hot sauce on the poo so when they go to smell it it they won't pick it up, but I definetly don't want to do that - what if she decided to eat it anyway!!!! As soon as she goes on the potty pad I run and clean it up, but if we go out somewhere and when we come back home I will find pieces of poo scattered here and there on my dining room floor so I know what she has been up to while we were out!

Any advice or suggestions? HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Some kibbles are coated with a chemical to entice the dog to eat it their poos come out smelling the same so they eat them

Give her pineapple juice I makes their poo smell horrible totem so they don't eat t

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some kibbles are coated with a chemical to entice the dog to eat it their poos come out smelling the same so they eat them

Give her pineapple juice I makes their poo smell horrible totem so they don't eat t

Thanks Sarah I'll give that a try! Do I just pour some in her water bowl instead of water or should I mix it or soak the kibble in it or what? Sorry I've never had this problem before. Colette doesn't eat her poo and she eats the same food. And gee I thought Natural Balance was a half way decent food - guess I was wrong. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
My Manchester terrier will eat Chico's poo but not his own .......?? I tried giving Chico the pineapple but it seemed to upset his stomach.... I'm gonna try the pumpkin...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either or I think!!! Search pineapple on here someone mentioned it before
Found it! Thank you again Sarah! I'll defenitly be trying this today - I love pineapple and have several cans at home! I sure hope she likes pineapple - if not then I'll have to go buy a baby syringe at Walmart I guess and squirt some down her throat. Or maybe I will "accidently" drop some on the kitchen floor and pretend she can't have it. LOL That usually gets her everytime! :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sebastian used to do this, he'd eat it as it was coming out of Zoey BLECH! The only thing that cured him as using Meat Tenderizer on his food (not my favorite thing( but it's the only thing that worked) just a tiny sprinkle. It has digestive enzymes in it that help them digest their food better, also makes their poops taste yucky. Poop eating is a natural thing as they do it in the wild to get more nutrients & to protect their young from predators. I know NASTY though!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest pineapple as well. But it doesn't work for all dogs. I think the reason why some pick up the poo habit depends on how each body digests (or doesn't digest) the food. Marley started with this habit after we added a bit of the Honest Kitchen in to their diet. He'd never eaten poo before then & hasn't since I added more meat to to the food. Anyway, good luck! Hopefully you can nip it in the bud before it becomes habit for her!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Found it! Thank you again Sarah! I'll defenitly be trying this today - I love pineapple and have several cans at home! I sure hope she likes pineapple - if not then I'll have to go buy a baby syringe at Walmart I guess and squirt some down her throat. Or maybe I will "accidently" drop some on the kitchen floor and pretend she can't have it. LOL That usually gets her everytime! :D
Haha The old "reverse Psychology trick" LOL :laughing8: Funny!! Hope she likes the pineapple..i know i sure do.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Cool, I think I will try pineapple too as Billy eats poo. Guess I will have to add it to all their food as I am not sure which one's poo he is going after.

·
Registered
489 Posts
yea bonnie always eats her poo to.i changed her food but that dident work.i must give the pineapple a go and see...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts