Discussion Starter #1
OK I really want to get a Female smooth coat Chocolate Chi
when I get my next Pup.
I really had my heart set on this. I went to a dog show today
and asked a breeder about one. She said you will have trouble
finding one, and if I do I will have to be prepared to deal with
health issues. Apparently Choc Chi's have skin conditions that
are on going. If you have a Choc smooth coat or you have
knowledge about this, can you please give me your opinion?
I have never heard this before. Although I dont actually have any
knowledge about it. It just seems a bit strange to me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whaaat?? I have never heard this either. I have a chocolate smooth coat and to my knowledge there are no issues with her WHATSOEVER. I'm really curious about that information.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whaaat?? I have never heard this either. I have a chocolate smooth coat and to my knowledge there are no issues with her WHATSOEVER. I'm really curious about that information.
Thanks for that, I thought I would post just to see what everyone thought cause I have never heard of this.
I'm starting to think she was just telling me this to push me toward her dogs.
She mainly had cream. light cream and reds.
She also told my cousin that she wouldnt be able to find a pure white Chi. But I have seen them on here. So confused....

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Maybe she was referring to Chocolate Blues? My Roo is a blue chocolate and blues are prone to color dilute alopecia. (hair loss) Other than that, no idea what she could be referring to.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She also said that the sun will damage a choc chi's fur, and lighten it. And I would have to be prepared for ongoing care and rubbing ointments into her skin. She is a reputable breeder. Am I allowed to put her site on here? I cant understand why she would say this?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe she was referring to Chocolate Blues? My Roo is a blue chocolate and blues are prone to color dilute alopecia. (hair loss) Other than that, no idea what she could be referring to.
no defiantly chocolate not choc/blue

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't share a breeder's website, they want exposure and business after all... (Though I guess this is in negative regards, so I guess it's your discretion...)

I just tried Googling and didn't find anything to back up her statement. I did see one or two things talking about BLUE chocolates, as Paula said.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's weird, my boy is blue and I suspect he may be dilute but that's the only skin problem i've heard of in reference to coat color, who knows.

I would just look into it but i've never heard of it, perhaps she meant in your area? I know I had a hard time finding a couple different colors I was looking for when we decided on Godric.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what everyone is saying here I should have a skin condition just cause I get a choc pup! I think I will just forget that breeder and buy else where!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's weird, my boy is blue and I suspect he may be dilute but that's the only skin problem i've heard of in reference to coat color, who knows.

I would just look into it but i've never heard of it, perhaps she meant in your area? I know I had a hard time finding a couple different colors I was looking for when we decided on Godric.
NO that wasnt the case she said all choc chi's will have this skin condition. I have seen some online. Not in my area but with in 2 hours drive for sale for around $1000 Her pups start at $1200-$1600

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I'd look elsewhere. I'd even ask other breeders who DON'T have any chocolates to comment on what you heard.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
NO that wasnt the case she said all choc chi's will have this skin condition. I have seen some online. Not in my area but with in 2 hours drive for sale for around $1000 Her pups start at $1200-$1600
Hmm, sounds a little devious to me. It wouldn't surprise me, I can't imagine the dog market it very high right now what with all the people without work and such. She's probably just looking to cut a deal.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have a chocolate and a blue, both smooth coat, neither have any problems. As previously mentioned they can sometimes have thinner coats, Miley has very little fur, just fuzziness on her neck and tummy. Reese is two, he loves to lay out in the sunshine, and his coat has never "faded" and I have never had to put anything on him. The breeder sounds a little nutty/misinformed to me.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a look back on her site and she has sold a choc in the past it was long hair but choc for sure!
I said to her I own a black and she said
"blacks are blacks not choc their coat wont fade"
Now if chocs had skin conditions why would she have sold one that looked just fine????

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I have a chocolate and white smooth coat female. And she has no skin problems or health problems whatsoever. This sounds like a myth for sure.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yeah I think she was hoping to make a sale since she didn't have any Chocolates herself for sale since she knew that's what you were looking for. Plus I would think there would be something out on the internet about this if you googled it, but I can't find anything other than CDA (color dilute alopecia). There are several people on here with chocolates and I've never read any of them having skin issues????

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If her chocolates fade in the sun/light perhaps she has 'bad' chocolates. I know in poodles you can have 'bad' blacks (they fade to gray and don't stay true black), maybe she has that in her chocolates? I know some some chocolate (different breeds like labs) can fade in the sun, but most of these dogs are outdoor dogs, I can't imagine a chi being an outdoor dog.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What they are referring to is color dilution alopecia. What's that? It means that they can lose hair/fur sporadically or sometimes close to completely at one point or another in their lives, you can google it to learn more, but personally I will stay away from chocolates and blues for this reason. One day the pup looks completely normal next day you suddenly notice they are losing fur, sometimes in patches, sometimes all over, it really depends. Not ALL of them have this but many, many do. Its more common in blues than it is in chocolates I think, but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts