Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had a party last nihgt and I notice him eating somethin onthe floor. A few feet away was some chocolate cake on the floor. It could not have been much just a few crumbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
:wink: Well, just keep an eye on him if he starts acting funny or is not himself take him to the vet because chocolate is toxic and even deadly to dogs, especially baker's chocolate. I hope everything is ok and is nothing to worry about. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
the most that would happen is a bad case of diarrhea (from the amount you said is what i'm going by) however, some dogs react differently to things and what might be fatal for one could just be soft stool to another. not trying to worry you or anything, but you have to keep an eye on him and watch for diarrhea, vomiting ect. if it happens he has to go to the vets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
It is Large amounts of candy chocolate or bakers chocolate (this is the worst kind of chocolate). Chocolate cake wont hurt them. May cause a upset tummy if they are not garbage guts like mine :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
If your Chi only ate little crumbs of chocolate you should be fine. The amount of chocolate that a dog needs to eat for it to be deadly is 1 pound of chocolate per 20 pounds (this is according to a website so it might not be accurate). Even though Chi's are usually small and would only need a very small amount of Chocolate to us, its actually a very large amount for a little dog.
Keep us posted and good luck! :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Bosco ate a bite of a butterfinger and was totally fine. Your little guy should be fine too, just keep an eye on him. If it was just a small amount, he may have an upset tummy but that's about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Oh no!! hehe How's your chi doing now? I may be wrong, but my vet told me that even an ounce can kill a small dog. But since you said just some crumbs, he'll be fine :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Crumbs of cake should be totally fine, crumbs of pure baking chocolate would be a worry. Actually there are different toxic doses for chocolate toxicity in dogs. It depends on the concentration of the xanthine theobromine (a caffeine type toxin). The normal toxic dose for a dog is somewhere around 100mg/kg, so they are roughly something like:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet/Dark chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

The first signs of toxicity range from vomitting and diarrhea for milk chocolate ingestion, to hyperexcitedness, extremely fast heart rate and respiratory rate, irritation, and muscle tremors (since theobromine affects the nervous system and cardiovascular system). The worst case scenario is when the heart is hyperexcited and they can go into toxic shock and arrest.

Since our little ones are so small, it's always best however to be safe than sorry, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring your dog to the vet, along with a sample of the cake, and any of the packaging on the box of ingredients or chocolate you used, and the recipe so the concentration of chocolate in the cake can be calculated.

-Nate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Actually there are different toxic doses for chocolate toxicity in dogs. It depends on the concentration of the xanthine theobromine (a caffeine type toxin).
Theobromine basically just makes them really really excited, and when you overexcite the heart and nervous system they can go into muscle spasms, and cardiac arrest.

The vomitting and diarrhea are more from the richness of the chocolate not agreeing with their stomachs rather than the theobromine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
My dog has gotten into more chocolate! She should be dead. One time she ate a good 1/4 bag of chocolate chips that she took from a dust pan. (Didn't know it was in the dust pan) She threw up for hours afterward and left really nice brown stains on my very light carpeting. She did not act like she was sick at all, except for the vomiting. After she got it out of her system, she was fine. I called the vet immediatley and they said, "Bring her in and we'll put her on an IV". I said, she doesn't appear to feel or look or act like she doesn't feel well, so I will wait to see if she is better in a little while. She was. I make sure to keep anything chocolate way away from her. She is a stinker though. She has gone as far as taking a bag of chocolate from my bedroom and had her way with it.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top