Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I was warned when I got Ren that he occasionally makes choking/gagging sounds, like he is struggling for breath or something. The previous owner said it was an 'attention seeking' thing. The previous owner took him to a vet who could find no problem.

We got Ren at one and a half years old. That was a month ago, and he has now started doing it every few days. He does it for about 30 seconds to a minute and it can be quite distressing to watch as I think he is going to choke or something. I have taken him to the vet who has given him a 100% good health check.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Hazel

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What a horrible owner that previous person was! My Jada does that.. same exact thing. She'll wake us up with coughing/gagging fits. We had xrays done and she has a weakened tracchia with a possible collapse in the future because it's so thin.

You might want to xray for a weakened tracchia. That is what I wholeheartedly believe your problem to be.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rens Mom said:
Hi - I was warned when I got Ren that he occasionally makes choking/gagging sounds, like he is struggling for breath or something. The previous owner said it was an 'attention seeking' thing. The previous owner took him to a vet who could find no problem.

We got Ren at one and a half years old. That was a month ago, and he has now started doing it every few days. He does it for about 30 seconds to a minute and it can be quite distressing to watch as I think he is going to choke or something. I have taken him to the vet who has given him a 100% good health check.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Hazel
Your vet could do an endoscopy to find out if its a collasped trachea, but it sounds like reverse snezzing to me. My yorkie Millie does it occasionally

Sinead xx

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think it could also be a sign of a weak trachea. I know that chis sometimes get collapsed tracheas because their necks are so slender, and any pressure on their necks can cause undue stress on their trachea. If it's like a cackling noise, by which I mean, it sounds like, "CACK!" I would think that's the trachea, but if it's like a honking type noise, that would be reverse sneezing. For my chi, I just cover her nostrils, and this makes it go away. It can also help to gently rub the chest area.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gizmo does it alot, I do exactly what Kimmie just said. Cover his nostrils until he takes a good breath in through his mouth then I rub his throat. He's fine after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant thank you all enough for this advice. I had never even heard of reverse sneezing - I have now read up on it and that is what i believe it to be. Ren Sneezes normally quite a bit normally, however thinking back He usually does this gagging thing when ive been cleaning. I think maybe hes affected by the dust/cleaning products. I will put him in another room when im dusting so as not to set him off again, and see how that goes. If it happens again ill follow your advice and hold his nose and rub his chest and see if that makes the episode go away quicker.

I was really frightened and was just thinking he was going to die and then the next minute hes right as rain!!.

I did take him to the vets for a full check up and for his jabs as the previous person never took him outside so she didnt get his jabs done. I thought that a bit weird!! anyway the Vet said hes in excellent health could just do with a little more weight on him. Hes getting lots of exercise now and meeting lots of new people. Im sure it makes a massive change from being kept in a utility room on his own all day.

Hes a brilliant boy. well behaved - Ive had him just over a month and I just look at him and think how could anyone of sold him. I wouldnt part with him for anything.

Thanks again I feel much more reassured now :eek:)))

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
yeah id add another vote for reverse sneezing, if he starts doing it at night when hes sleeping (it wakes him up) then its time for an endoscopy or an x-ray, when it wakes them from a deep sleep its more likely to be a treachea problem than just reverse sneezing. but if its just during normal waking hours its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, Yota did it last night and woke me up. Scared the hell outta me cause I thought he was choking to death. Thank god for this forum. Thanks for the 4 year old comfort, guys lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
All chis do this because of their tiny tracheas. Some do it more than others. Excitement can cause them to reverse sneeze. I hate when Midgie does it, cause it's unnerving although she doesn't do it often. When she does, I talk gently to her and say "Easy, it's o.k., relax" and she'll usually stop.
If you're chi is doing it a lot, there may be something wrong with his tracchea like others have suggested and I would have it checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last night was the first time ever that he's done it in all his 10 months of life. But reverse sneezing fits the description better than the other thing, thankfully.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Red was doing this and I rubbed his throat till it subsided, I was always worried as Red would run to me.

At a show right int he show ring he started choking and the steward calmly and simply held Red's nose for like 3 seconds and the choking stopped.

I have only had two episodes since and I now just hold his nose, its quicker and less traumatic for us both.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine little chi does this quite often after she drinks water it almost sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball.... I have talked to my vet about it a couple times and she said its nothing to worry about it just because she has a "chi" like face the face kinda pushed in and its her trying to breath???!!! I dont think thats it at all... Shes not a pug.... I think its the trachea thing. Mabe I should get xrays to see

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I was gonna ask my vet to put a camera down Red to see if there was anything lodged in his throat or if there was any tissue damage.

I now know its nothing to worry about and pleased I never insisted on the camera, it was not needed and would have caused some distress to Red.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts