Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone on this forum have a worry that your loved one will choke on something? I watch Timmy with everything that he puts in his mouth, toys, bullysticks, raw hide bones.

I am so worried that he will choke on something. I just lost my beloved cat named Baby very suddenly. He took his last breath in my arms.

And now I am so over concerned with Timmy, that something will happen to him when I am at work. It's so hard leaving him to go to work. All day at work just worry about him.
Has anyone gone through this?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I think it's natural to be concerned! My Kahlua is a little hoover and any time something drops to the floor she's the first to the scene so I usually end up diving to try getting it before her while shouting "Leave it!" lol. I just try making sure that all of their chews are BIG; so that they can't fit it in their mouths. And with chihuahuas it's not hard to find larger treats, LOL.
Sorry for the loss of your kitty. <3

ETA: oh, and as far as while you're at work; I suggest setting up a play pen for him. Have one side equipped with a potty pad, or grass patch or litter box or newspaper (LOL, whatever you prefer) and the other side, have a blankey, water dish, and some BIG chewies to keep him occupied. KONGS make awesome chew toys that you can fill with peanut butter & freeze. I got a pink rubber disc ball thingie for Kahlua from Theresa (Amberleah's mommy) for the Fall exchange and all my dogs just love it. I can fill different parts up with PB filling; and it's chew-proof for all of mine so I don't worry that they can swallow any pieces while I'm gone.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No, I really don't worry that much. Wild dogs and wolves live in the forest and their puppies chew on a lot of weird stuff and do fine. Only thing I really watch is wires and human food or medicines.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's natural to be concerned! My Kahlua is a little hoover and any time something drops to the floor she's the first to the scene so I usually end up diving to try getting it before her while shouting "Leave it!" lol. I just try making sure that all of their chews are BIG; so that they can't fit it in their mouths. And with chihuahuas it's not hard to find larger treats, LOL.
Sorry for the loss of your kitty. <

ETA: oh, and as far as while you're at work; I suggest setting up a play pen for him. Have one side equipped with a potty pad, or grass patch or litter box or newspaper (LOL, whatever you prefer) and the other side, have a blankey, water dish, and some BIG chewies to keep him occupied. KONGS make awesome chew toys that you can fill with peanut butter & freeze. I got a pink rubber disc ball thingie for Kahlua from Theresa (Amberleah's mommy) for the Fall exchange and all my dogs just love it. I can fill different parts up with PB filling; and it's chew-proof for all of mine so I don't worry that they can swallow any pieces while I'm gone.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Choking

Thank you for your fast reply...this forum is the best...my Timmy is the same way, anything on the floor, he becomes a biily goat, not a chihuahua, everything on the floor is his, he has been this way since he was 10 weeks old, so I have been extra careful of what is on the floor.

When I wenl to work he used to be crated, but now he has the run of the house. All day at work,I miss him and worry about him.

Is it possible that they can choke on something? And if so please tell me what.

I really worry about him so much when I can't be with him.

It's so funny how much you love these little fur babies and they somehow become your whole existence.

Regina Timmys mom.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Regina,
Is your home puppy proofed?
My place is puppy proofed, it's made into the safest environment possible for my dogs.
Nothing is ever on the floor and no one gets treats, raw hide or toys unsupervised.
There is nothing that they can reach and brake, nothing they can choke on.
Rawhide and bullysticks are given for 10-15minutes and then taken away until
next time. Toys are put away after each play session. Everything human is out
of their reach, high up or locked away. The whole place was designed with my
dogs in mind. I rather be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Is your pup crated while you are at work? If they have the "run of the house" while you are not at home, there is more potential for some kind of "thing" to happen. I, personally, am a worry wort! When we leave the house, I always crate Angel. My golden is very gentle with him but there is always the possibility that he can get hurt jumping off furniture or find "something" to get into! He doesn't have to be in a "crate" but an area that is limited.
Good luck with him.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Does anyone on this forum have a worry that your loved one will choke on something? I watch Timmy with everything that he puts in his mouth, toys, bullysticks, raw hide bones.

I am so worried that he will choke on something. I just lost my beloved cat named Baby very suddenly. He took his last breath in my arms.

And now I am so over concerned with Timmy, that something will happen to him when I am at work. It's so hard leaving him to go to work. All day at work just worry about him.
Has anyone gone through this?
I completely understand how you feel. We lost a dog Frisco in August. And he passed in my arms too. Everything with Cricket I'm worried about. The way she breathes when she gets excited or cause she eats so fast. I just am really careful especially with the holidays. No tensil around her food dish no small bones. Even Oreo our big dog, gets larger bones. I understand how you feel. Sorry about the kitty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.