Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's our first christmas in our new home (first one) so we are going to purchase a bigger tree than the 3 foot one we've had. my question is about live christmas trees and any potential health hazzards with my two girls (chili and pepper). are there any specific to live trees vs fake ones? i've heard about the water at the base of a live tree being potentially dangerous to all dogs. any one have any comments?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, my mom has a fake one because we have many animals, and the possible concerns is that the animal could eat the tree, wow jeez i forget, lol but there is a reason.. also its more easier to burn down... theres probably more but the others should fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Ingestion of needles can cause vomiting and gastric irritation. One of the things I am real worried about is if you hang ornaments off of a tree with the metal hooks --- think if they swallowed one of those! :shock: Tinsel may also look tasty to our little Chi's and could make them sick.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yeah the needles cause the biggest problem as even if you have one that doesnt sheed they still do slightly and eating them can be quite dangerous I would definately go for an artificial you can get some really nice ones now :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your dogs could be allergic to them, I know I am allergic to the fresh pine, and I cannot have a real tree in my house, and I don't want the mess of sweeping up the needles every evening! I personally, think my fake tree looks better than alot of the real ones I have seen.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Even my artificial tree sheds a little so I still have to worry about the puppies eating those needles. :? I didn't hang the ornaments as low as I normally do. I hung the ornaments with ribbon so I didn't have to worry about them getting a hook. Yikes! :shock: Still they are glass ornaments and it would be a disaster if they got a hold of one. I don't have a way to block off the tree so I have to watch them like a hawk when they are out of their X-pen. This tree is worrying me to death! I wanted to wait to put it up but was overruled. :roll:

·
Registered
450 Posts
hahah I think we are following each other around SC! I never had any problems last year with Chiquita and the tree, she was scared of it! Now this year with José will be a different story!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
LOL Joebeans! Annabelle is 3 and I don't remember ever having a problem with her either. Now these puppies love it! They act like they're in a forest or something inside. :lol: Geez I have to watch them! :roll: :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
hahaha, well I know José, he is a little boy troublemaker, he chewed up my driver's license!!!!! I can't imagine what he will do to a Christmas tree!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That's funny that he is a little boy trouble maker. Callie is my trouble maker. She gets Cody into all kinds of stuff. :shock: :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
You wouldn't believe the things I find under my bed that he has drug under there.. socks, underwear, lotion bottles, my purse! Leave it in his sight and it will slip under into the darkness never to be seen normal again!

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
joebeans said:
You wouldn't believe the things I find under my bed that he has drug under there.. socks, underwear, lotion bottles, my purse! Leave it in his sight and it will slip under into the darkness never to be seen normal again!
I know just what you mean. Everything Buster steals is either under my bed or in his other hiding spot. If anything is missing we know where to look.

I'm glad you posted about the tree thing. We are going to be getting ours soon and the hazards didn't even cross my mind. Now I'm going to be very cautious of my boys around it, thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
This is Kemo's first Christmas with us so this outta be REAL interesting. I imagine he will bark his head off at the tree.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
ozzysmom said:
yeah the needles cause the biggest problem as even if you have one that doesnt sheed they still do slightly and eating them can be quite dangerous I would definately go for an artificial you can get some really nice ones now :wave:
I would of thought of that problem too :wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i also heard that the water in the pot at the base of the tree might be toxic to dogs. from the comments though the main concern appears to be glass ornaments and hooks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have decided not to put up a tree this year because of Dazey. I'm sure she would have a ball tearing it up! I haven't decided where to put the wrapped presents so she will not be able to get at them. She loves to chew up paper.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
rmihaly said:
from the comments though the main concern appears to be glass ornaments and hooks.
That has been my concerns so far. Yesterday my bf was home, I wasn't, he came into the living room and found Buster chewing on an ornament. The glass ball thingy's. Can you believe that?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only trouble I've had with dogs and cats in the past was them eating the icicles. Those thin plastic strings can be like razor blades when they swallow them. If they pass them with no problems, they make poop-on-a-rope!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts