Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mum and I were discussing chrismas dinner the other day I always cook it over at her house as I don't have the room for all the family anyway I wondered what other countries do because in the us thanks giving is in November right?? Well firstly I have no clue what exactly thanks giving is what do you do and what are you being thankful for (I sound so dumb!!)

But I know you have like turkey for dinner so what do you guys do for Christmas dinner (for those that celebrate Christmas)??

We have roast turkey, chipolatas, stuffing, roast potatoes, veg etc with christmas pudding (yuck) for dessert but we always have other stuff too coz it's an acquired taste shahs

Plus we have Christmas crackers and table presents too

·
Registered
602 Posts
We have roast chicken and ham. Sometimes prawns yummy

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Er goose is disgusting and expensive!! Yuck

Yeah we have turkey every year sometimes well have a gammon too actually we did last year I slow cooked it in cider!!!

Chase chicken?? I wonder if people have chicken here too

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
We usually have Turkey with the trimmings but this year (like last year) will likely be just like any other day. I won't go to OH family and sit there playing happy families bored out my skull and knowing what a lying B**tard he is when I would rather be at home with my dogs and horses. Even when I used to go for a visit I'd be clock watching as soon as we arrived to get back to the house.

I can't go to see my famiuly as the drive is too far just now..

I am not concerned at all though and really quite happy to be at home with my animals, peaceful, no arguemts, no false smiles to get through and total relaxation.

Deme x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awww Dawn I'm not a fan of big family get togethers now either but my dogs come to my mums and help with dinner by sitting under where we carve and beg for a turkey to be dropped on the floor

We always have turkey it's the only time of year we do were quite traditional I have to make chestnut stuffing and mince pies next month

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I always go to my moms house for christmas dinner & we have the whole family over. WE always have turkey, ham , mashed potatos, baked beans, stuffing, brocolli cheese casserole, crescent rolls, I think last year we had corn too..for dessert there is always a big assortment of cakes & pies..

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Baked Beans..? I have never nown baked beans with Xmas dinner ,.but hey why not I love em with soft fried eggs

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Thanksgiving is a day of rememberance of the first "feast" between the Pilgrims (during the time they first arrived at the "new land") and the native American Indians. The Indians brought foods they grew/harvest & the Pilgrims brought the foods they brought with them. That is my poor definition of it. LOL The US Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday in November but in Canada they celebrate it on the second Monday in October.

Anyway, for Thanksgiving we do Turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, green beans, squash, roll/bread, gravy, stuffing, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc, etc, etc (everyone has different "traditions"). On Christmas...again everyone has different traditions but I think THE Christmas dinner is traditionally a ham with all the fixins like above. Some do another Turkey dinner as well. Again...everyone has their own traditions. For breakfast one of our tradition is for my mom to make monkey bread & bring it over to watch the girls open their gifts. YUM!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See this is so bizarre were such a traditional country with Christmas most people here have similar I think but we always have roar potatoes and I forgot *gag* brussel sprouts I refuse to eat them tho I'll remember to take a pic on Xmas day for u

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
And brandi beans??? Wow at Xmas
yes beans Ill make it even more interesting for you guys with some of the bean ingredients..these were my grandmas baked beans I grew up eating them & they are oh so yummy...first you take cans of Van Camp's brand beans then you add bacon onions & ketchup mix it all up & bake it...sounds yucky but I love um!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
we will be going to the OH for dinner and I would much rather stay home with my dogs than sit there and put on a happy face.Funny thing is hubby would rather stay home as well but we gotta go sometimes for his mother.
We usually have ham and turkey with all the trimmings and way too many desserts.I am diabetic and I find it real hard to stay away from all the sweets.Anything with chocolate anyways as I love love love chocolate..lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
christmas dinner in my house is always interesting :)
we invite my parents to dine with us and i try to please everyone.

it's interesting as my father is jewish and my mother is an anglican vicar. to comlicate it further, my best friend, her norwegian husband and children are staying with us too!

i'm already planning the main family meal and it looks like a challenge. good job i like cooking :D

starters :-
chicken soup and matzo balls.
parma ham with a mustard, honey and physalis dressing.
gravlax, fennel salad and buckwheat pancakes.

main :-
roast beef, a roast turkey, salt crust baked whole salmon.
roast and mash potatoes.
roast carrot, parsnips, beetroot.
red cabbage with apples and cinnamon.
green beans.
orange, honey and saffron carrots.
broccoli and almonds.
yorkshire pudding.
green salad.
olive and lemon couscous.
homemade sauces (cranberry, horseradish and lemon mayonaise).

pudding :-

christmas pudding with brandy butter.
pear and amaretto strudel.
rommegrot and fattigman.

yikes :S

·
Registered
56 Posts
Although I live in the US, my grandma insists on making Spanish (Spain-Spanish) food for Christmas dinner (my mom's side of the family is pure spanish). My dad (who is white) then will make a ham for his side of the family that comes over, since our whole family does have quite a few picky eaters. But on the table, you'll find: paella, shrimp, ham, mashed potatoes + gravy, crackers and cheese, fruits (grapes and such). And then with drinks: water, soda, beer, sangria.. but that's all I can think of! there's probably more.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes beans Ill make it even more interesting for you guys with some of the bean ingredients..these were my grandmas baked beans I grew up eating them & they are oh so yummy...first you take cans of Van Camp's brand beans then you add bacon onions & ketchup mix it all up & bake it...sounds yucky but I love um!!
Lol sounds nasty but just so odd I gained your mum getting out a an of Heinz beans whacking them in the microwave and voilà hahahaha

christmas dinner in my house is always interesting :)
we invite my parents to dine with us and i try to please everyone.

it's interesting as my father is jewish and my mother is an anglican vicar. to comlicate it further, my best friend, her norwegian husband and children are staying with us too!

i'm already planning the main family meal and it looks like a challenge. good job i like cooking :D

starters :-
chicken soup and matzo balls.
parma ham with a mustard, honey and physalis dressing.
gravlax, fennel salad and buckwheat pancakes.

main :-
roast beef, a roast turkey, salt crust baked whole salmon.
roast and mash potatoes.
roast carrot, parsnips, beetroot.
red cabbage with apples and cinnamon.
green beans.
orange, honey and saffron carrots.
broccoli and almonds.
yorkshire pudding.
green salad.
olive and lemon couscous.
homemade sauces (cranberry, horseradish and lemon mayonaise).

pudding :-

christmas pudding with brandy butter.
pear and amaretto strudel.
rommegrot and fattigman.

yikes :S
I do not envy you at all we have 3 kids in our family and xmas is all about the kids I wouldn't be able to spend time with my daughter if I had to do that I take my hat off to you!!
Although I live in the US, my grandma insists on making Spanish (Spain-Spanish) food for Christmas dinner (my mom's side of the family is pure spanish). My dad (who is white) then will make a ham for his side of the family that comes over, since our whole family does have quite a few picky eaters. But on the table, you'll find: paella, shrimp, ham, mashed potatoes + gravy, crackers and cheese, fruits (grapes and such). And then with drinks: water, soda, beer, sangria.. but that's all I can think of! there's probably more.
See that's proper funky to me but I understand it my mums family are Burmese so at family things we always have Burmese curry (which is a x between Indian Thai and Chinese lol) but not at Xmas

I'm fascinate by this thread brandi you win weirdest dinner

·
Registered
644 Posts
i forgot to add we also have my in-laws round too.
that makes fourteen people to cook for.
it's really great fun (honest!)
most of the hard work is planning and prepping.
nobody is too worried if the meal doesn't start bang on time and we all expect it to be a long, steady paced meal.
keep the mulled wine and champagne flowing, a few table games and conversation and it's all good :D

i also forgot to list chestnut stuffing and my OH's favourite trimming - bacon wrapped chipolatas.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts