Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm getting tired of going to doctors that can't find out whats wrong with me!:sad1: I'm always in constant pain, have taken countless tests and medical procedures; but the best that doctors have said is that I probably have what is called peripheral neuropathy....which in essence is constant pain which has no known cause!:dontknow: :rolleyes: Okay.....so I'm back to square 1......I'm in pain and don't know what is causing it!!!!!:confused: :banghead: Anyone had these kind of diagnoses with doctors?! It's soooooo aggravating!!!:scratch: :confused3:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jen, they keep trying different pain meds, but so far nothing is helping. Alisha, no, they tested me for diabetes and lots of other diseases, and I don't have any of them. This last doctor said we might never know what is causing the pain, but she wants me to go to a neurologist to see if maybe they can find out. It's got something to do with my nerve endings not working right.....but no one knows what has caused it, or what is causing it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stuff like that is so aggravating. There are so many things it could be and all they can seem to do is exclude them one by one. I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year. I have had it at least 10 years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This happens alot with chronic pain. You need to go to a neurologist. peripheral neuropathy IS a diagnosis, but finding the cause of it can take time. One of the most common reasons for peripheral neuropathy is diabetes, like Alisha mentions, but it is also caused from many other things such as systemic diseases like lupus, vitamin deficiency, hormonal imbalances, kidney failure, infections, viruses such as shingles, herpes.... many, many reasons - but because the nature of the pain, you should really see a neurologist who specializes in this area. Chronic pain is very hard to deal with, but it can be managed and it takes time to get to the root of it. Be patient and be an advocate for yourself. The body is a remarkable mystery and not every doctor has all of the answers right away.

Good luck to you,

Tammie

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
hi i was just diagnosed with neuropathy also no diabetes.i also have cerebral palsy
my neurologist prescribed me lyrica,taking losts of vitamins,vitamin b-1,centrum,and some prescription multi-vitamins eight a day.Physical Therapy helps and stretching at home exercises as well.make sure to include as many systoms as possible sometimes i take advil gels when i feel really bad you may want to try them in the mean time.hope this helps feel free to email me or pm me.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
princess_ella said:
hi i was just diagnosed with neuropathy also no diabetes.i also have cerebral palsy
my neurologist prescribed me lyrica,taking losts of vitamins,vitamin b-1,centrum,and some prescription multi-vitamins eight a day.Physical Therapy helps and stretching at home exercises as well.make sure to include as many systoms as possible sometimes i take advil gels when i feel really bad you may want to try them in the mean time.hope this helps feel free to email me or pm me.
I was taking Lyrica and it didn't help at all...the doc is now starting me on neurontin, and then upping the dosage after the first week, so we'll just have to see if this does anything. I'm also taking vitamins, have been for quite awhile....doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I also take either ibuprofen or another over the counter pain reliever in the daytime. The only thing I haven't done is physical therapy. But I'm pretty active during the day; I don't sit around, so there's always movement going on with my body. I'm suppose to go to a neurologist next, so we'll see what they say or can do. As time goes on, I'm in worse pain, and that is what scares me.....the fact that it gets worse and I can't do much about it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
where is your pain? i dont think i can be of any help but i had bad tummy pains when i was 10years old had some scans and stuff and they left it at that again at 15 i was in agony i was rushed to hospital and instead of treating the pain they started picking at me saying i have an ED again last week i was in such bad pain i was crying and rocking i couldnt move because it hurt and couldnt stay still because it hurt i was rushed to hospital again and again they ignore the pain and concentrate on what they think is right and what i know is wrong. sometimes wander how they get their job.. its so frustrating they still wont find out whats wrong they done heaps of tests then said oh well the scan picks nothing up nothing we can do and told me to buy co-codamol for the pain. co codamol doesnt touch the pain ive had to take my aunts up till now but she wont give me any more because theyre so strong. lucky the pain has eased off alot though its deffo still theire

i get so pissed off the docs wont sort it so i know how your feeling about that if you ever need a chat just pm me

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow, great post. My mom complains to me constantly. She has neurapathy due to 12 back operations over the years and cut nerves. It all started from ruptured discs and just got worse years later. I totally feel for you. My mom is on oxycotin, it really doesn't help the nerve pain. She was on neurontin and that didn't help either. I hope it helps you. Now she is thinking of finding a doctor to do a nerve block hoping this will work. Years ago she had a spinal implant in to control the pain, that didn't work as well. I was able to find her a couple good doctors, but then for some reason she got mad at them and refuses to see them again. It's so frustrating cause as it is, it's so hard to find a good Doctor that understand these problems. If and when my mom gets the nerve blocks I'll let you know if it helps her. Another option is a morphine pump where the pump is implanted under the skin and the morphine goes directly to the area causing pain. This is good cause there are no side affects since you are not ingesting the meds. She almost had this done last year, but got scared and changed her mind. My mom is thinking of doing this in the future if the block doens't work. Lately the pain has really been out of control for her. Feel free to pm me anytime. Best of luck to you let me know if you do have luck with anything to treat the neurapathy. Hope you find relief soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts