Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey Pam!
It's so nice to see him play!
I'm very happy for him :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
How great! My little girl Chiquita ( 5 yrs old, in a rescue shelter for 3 years) is afraid of toys and in the two months I've had her, never plays with them. My other, Vana, plays with them like a mad demon (grrrrrr, grrrrrr, grrrrrr, squeak, squeak, squeak, grrrrr, grrrrrr, grrrrrrr). I hope that Chiquita will come around one day and play too.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How great! My little girl Chiquita ( 5 yrs old, in a rescue shelter for 3 years) is afraid of toys and in the two months I've had her, never plays with them. My other, Vana, plays with them like a mad demon (grrrrrr, grrrrrr, grrrrrr, squeak, squeak, squeak, grrrrr, grrrrrr, grrrrrrr). I hope that Chiquita will come around one day and play too.
It took my first rescue, Reggie, (6 years old when I found him in the gutter in front of my house), 4 months before he learned to play with the other dogs, a few more before he started playing with toys. My old guy, Tico, who was in a wire cage for all his life and was about 13 years old when I found him, has never played with a toy. And now he's blind so he never will. But he did learn to play with a few of the other dogs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My old guy, Tico, who was in a wire cage for all his life and was about 13 years old when I found him, has never played with a toy. And now he's blind so he never will. But he did learn to play with a few of the other dogs.
Oh, Tico, poor baby, a wire cage his whole life--I have tears in my eyes. What was the story there? But finally, finally a happy ending when he came to you....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh, Tico, poor baby, a wire cage his whole life--I have tears in my eyes. What was the story there? But finally, finally a happy ending when he came to you....
Tico was thrown from a car and I found him in my bushes out front. He was so filthy I actually thought he was a brindle, but after a few baths, turns out he's a red. He had motor oil all over his head, too. His toe nails were over an inch long and curled under and he could barely walk. All the fur was rubbed off his undersides and his haunches, which is what leads me to believe he was caged all his life. He was full of worms and his coat was brittle and dry. He is severely unsocialized, took a few days before he would allow me near him without snarling. I left him in the bathroom and just sat in there with him, reading a book, until he came to me. One eye has shunken into the socket and is opaque, the other has severe dry eye from repeated untreated eye infections. He had some sight when he came, but is completly blind now. He's small, about 4 1/2 pounds, short legs, stocky build, so I think he may have been used in a backyard breeding situation. When they didn't need/want him anymore, they threw him out. Thank all the stars they threw him out by my house and he made his way here. He's grumpy and arthritic and has bilateral LP that he's too old now to fix, but he's plugging away and deserves to be loved and spoiled rotten for whatever time he has left. In fact, as I'm writting this, he's tucked up in my left arm, sleeping. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts