Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope is AKC registered as are her parents. Mick was as well, so I am familiar with that organization. Our breeder bred a couple of other dogs and they show as CKC registered on her site.

I am not familiar with that organization. I looked it up but wondered if any of you are familiar and could tell me more about that organization and your thoughts on CKC registered pups.

We are not getting one, I am just curious and trying to learn.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It depends on if it is Canadian Kennel Club or Continental Kennel Club the Continental Kennel Club IMO is not reputable, a lot of puppy mills use that registry now that AKC won't them them register without DNA tests.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I do not know which it is. I know that APRI would let me register Hope's stuffed Husky dog toy so I knew that one was not reputable and I see A LOT of ads here citing that one.

We really want another from Hope's same mom and dad. They will breed again in spring/summer and we hope to get another when she is about a year old.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH! I also wanted to ask if you knew what Zoey weighed at 12 weeks or 3 months. I am just trying to see where Hope may be as a big girl!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ckc is Canadian kennel club I assume! There standard is same as yours they just ban merles

Each country has it's kennel club although I think Europe (not Inc the uk and Ireland as we have our own kennel clubs) have the FCI :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your breeder is registering her pups with the Continental Kennel Club I personally wouldn't buy another pup from her. That CKC is a very disreputable organization that allows registration of any dog, regardless of breed and history. You can register mixed breeds with them with no problem.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
CKC as said before can be Canadian Kennel Club (reputable) or Continental Kennel Club (not reputable) I know people that have rescued dogs that were intact and registered with Continental Kennel Club and had no clue if they were full or where they came from? They will register anything if you pay the registration fee :-( APRI as well as many other kennel registries are a load of crap. The only reputable kennel clubs here are AKC and the Canadian Kennel Club.

Please know that I am not putting down any dog that has come from these registries as they are still pets that are loved, you just cant be to sure what you are getting. I have seen some beautiful Continental Kennel Club dogs some that may even be show worthy but for whatever reason they were not able to be registered with AKC and that is a bit worrisome :-(

·
Registered
44 Posts
CKC is Canadian Kennel Club. I don't have any experience showing dogs, but I do have experience showing Siamese cats.

As a Canadian, I'd suggest registering your dogs depending on where you want to show and/or register them. For example, when I was showing (in Canada and the US) and breeding, my cats were registered under CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) which covered North America, as well as CCA (Canadian Cat Association) and also the American cat association. That way, I could show them in both Canada and the US and legitimately sell any kittens to both US and Canadian buyers as show or pet quality.

I hope this helps!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
CKC is Canadian Kennel Club. I don't have any experience showing dogs, but I do have experience showing Siamese cats.

As a Canadian, I'd suggest registering your dogs depending on where you want to show and/or register them. For example, when I was showing (in Canada and the US) and breeding, my cats were registered under CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) which covered North America, as well as CCA (Canadian Cat Association) and also the American cat association. That way, I could show them in both Canada and the US and legitimately sell any kittens to both US and Canadian buyers as show or pet quality.

I hope this helps!
Please know that it is not necessarily CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) as she is in the states and we have a CKC that is called (Continental Kennel Club) as well and it is described in some earlier posts. Not that it couldnt be Canadian Kennel Club but it is more than likely Continental Kennel Club ;-)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Please know that I am not putting down any dog that has come from these registries as they are still pets that are loved, you just cant be to sure what you are getting.
Yes, this! You have your pup and you love her dearly and that is how it should be. I don't want to come off as saying that she is a bad dog because of her registration.

But I think if you discover that CKC is the continental kennel club and you go back to that breeder to buy another pup you are supporting questionable breeding practices. Why are her dogs not registered with the AKC? And why is she breeding dogs that she hasn't proven worthy by show? These are just two of the questions that would be going through my head.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will see her tomorrow and I will ask. If it is Continental (she does breed some mixed breeds on purpose) I would not choose one of those babies. Her registrations and distinction are clear. It is not hidden in any way.

Hope and her parents are AKC registered and if she breeds this pair again I would certainly get another from her. We LOVE her and their family-and so does Hope when we see them. She goes absolutely wild and kisses them to bits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts