Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got Clara Bow's registration papers today. I see that her mother and father have the same father:confused: Is that normal? Isn't that bad?

·
Registered
809 Posts
That would be much closer breeding than I would be comfortable with. The possibility of recessive genetic issues would be more likely to come out. However, that doesn't mean that anything bad will happen to her.

I would say that I would not breed her nor would I go back to that breeder.

Olivia

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree, I don't know that anything bad will happen to Clara Bow, but breeding sister and brother, even half sister and brother...yikes. You can breed within lines but usually further relationships than that and only do it if those genes are going to create a wonderful line.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep. My male border collie's grandfather on his father's side and great grandfather on his mother's side are the same dog. But he was exceptional and the breeding was done in an effort to try to 'recreate' that dog.

Line breeding is okay, inbreeding not so much.

Olivia

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes! I knew as soon as I got to this breeders house that I would never pick one of her dogs...then I saw Clara Bow. She was so excited and happy despite her crummy circumstances and I couldn't leave her there. Doesn't AKC monitor things like this? I love her regardless but that just seems so wrong.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nope. AKC doesn't really care. They don't monitor anything. Just because a breeder has an AKC registered litter doesn't mean jack. BYB trick a lot of people into thinking dogs are quality or more healthy or whatever that way.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Quinn is right. AKC is NOT a guarantee of quality. It's a registry only. Like a title on a car. You could have a whole pedigree of inbreeding, even mothers to sons or sister/brother pairings and they would still be AKC dogs if both parents were registered.

Think of it as the title on a car. On paper it registers the make, manufacturer, etc. Same with AKC. You could have a car in showroom condition, perfect... next to a rusted out junker and on paper they would look the same.

Same with registration papers. They are NOT an indication of quality in any way, shape, or form. Just that the parents are the same breed. A 20 pound Chihuahua could still be AKC registered if it's parents were.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
This is better known as line breeding yes but in some cases it used to enhance and improve a puppies genes. I mean Pepper who has play dates with my Chihuahuas (Who may be mine soon :) ) has half her pedigree more or less the same ancestors on it she is show quality of a very good standard i agree sometimes it goes wrong and it can cause problems. It just depends on the standards and breeder really in my opinion if line breeding is done properly it can enhance a dogs performance/appearence by much. But then again same as general breeding topics every person to them selves!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts