Chihuahua People Forum banner

Cleaning products.....

2053 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  absolethe
I got this email this morning. I don't know if this is true or not but.....better safe than sorry!
My mother in law's coworker sent it to her.

"I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German
Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy
until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause
was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison
of some kind.
The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so
the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My
neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he
got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which
stated "may be harmful to small children and animals" He called the company to
ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find
out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients.
Actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from
anitfreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned
with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating
from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this
product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his
dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They
both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors.
Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit,
but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible."

Does anyone of u know anything about this? Do you think it's true? If it is it would be pretty alarming :(
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Someone sent it to me too, and then afterwards she sent out a retraction saying that she had found out it was not true. I don't know if she called Swiffer or what? I sure was worried when I first saw it though because I use a swiffer regularly.

No it's not true.

Swiffer: Product Not Harmful To Pets

UPDATED: 5:44 p.m. EDT May 12, 2004

BOSTON -- There's a product on the market that claims to be a great tool when cleaning your floors and furniture, but it's also the subject of an e-mail scam.

Television station WCVB reported that the Swiffer WetJet is accused in a fraudulent e-mail campaign of being deadly for your pets.

The e-mail says that a 5-year old German shepherd had to be put down due to liver failure. It says tests performed later showed the dog's liver levels indicated that the dog ingested poison, like antifreeze. The owner determined the killer was her Swiffer WetJet

The station reported that the e-mail is fictitious. The company that makes the WetJet says it does not contain anything that kills pets.

Proctor and Gamble has an "advisory on its Web site that says the e-mail is a false Internet rumor. The advisory says that Swiffer wet cloths do not contain antifreeze or any ingredient similar to it, and Swiffer products are safe to use around pets.
See less See more
Yep it's a hoax. But if you still feel uneasy maybe you could let the floor dry before putting the puppers back on it.
Here's another link
:cheers: It makes me feel better to know that it's not true.......I am obsessed with having the house SUPER clean and I was starting to get worried about some cleaning products!
On a related subject--bug spray!

We have a bad ant problem and I need to spray the kitchen with some ant killing spray.

What should I do with Puck, though? Last time, I put up a doggy gate and didn't let him in the kitchen for a week and a half. Is that excessive...? My roommates were tripping over it, even though I spend extra money to get a swing-open kind (boys are stupid).
Most indoor pesticides say on the container to keep children and pets away until it's dry. I do that, plus, after I spray, I take a dry paper towel and go over it. There is enough there to guard against ants, but safer for the kids and pups imo. Do be sure to read the bottle. I always get the one that says at least something about children and pets.
I think our ants are super-ants. The first spraying has had no affect on their population. In fact, there are more of them. And the spray is supposed to last 3 months.

Has anyone heard a horror story about ant/roach hotels? I hesitate to get them because I imagine Puck finding one in a corner and eating it. Plus, I don't even want to touch them *shudder*
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.