Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have two more of Yoshis baby teeth removed yesterday. He is almost 2 years old and I had already had baby teeth removed at I believe 10 months? The doctor said that these teeth were baby teeth that were not even where teeth should be? With all that being said while I was at the vet he gave me a sheet of paper that explains tartar and plaq and it stated that I should be using prescription t/d because it is larger and makes the chi's have to chew it instead of swallowing it whole. I use Royal Canin Chihuahua right now and although he eats it well he does tend to swallow it whole at times? Does anyone else use prescription t/d? is this something you would advise for a chi and if not then what would be a good food that has larger bites that would force them to chew so it would clean? I do try to brush his teeth but he fights me on it and I am not sure I get alot accomplished:-(

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I don't know what food to recommend. I just wanted to say how handsome Yoshi is.

I would think they'd chew most any dry kibble and I surely wouldn't think a prescription would be necessary. I do know that Wellness kibbles are pretty hard and might be a good one. I feed my boys chicken soup.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I don't know either. Stewie is on Hills k/d for his liver. Those kibbles are big too. He seems like he has a hard time eating it sometimes. Other times he just scarfs it down, so it could just be him wanting attention or a special treat! Like Lin said, I would think that any kibble would need be chewed at least a little for the chis. I know a lot of vets sell dental chews & mouth wash stuff (you can get cheaper versions at pet stores). I would think using those would be good enough (over buying the large kibble food).

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Royal Canin Chihuahua is a hard kibble but it is small and Yoshi does swallow it whole sometimes but he does this with any kibble I feed him that is small enough to swallow yet he seems to have trouble chewing and sometimes want eat larger kibble as well?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I try to brush Boop's teeth. I manage at least 5 days out of 7 using Petrodex brand toothpaste. I think that's the name or something much like it. She loves the flavor. At first I tried the small end of a two-ended doggie tooth brush, but it was really too large. Then I tried a soft plastic thimble with bristles molded in, but it was still too large. Now I'm using 4" - 5" lengths of a gauze roll, from the bandage section in the drug store, dampened and rolled around my finger tip with a dab of toothpaste. It's a bit of a nuisance and doesn't scrub all that well, so if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

I also give her chews that are ground-up rawhide compressed back into a strip and also made by Petrodex. They are supposed to have some of the same enzymes the toothpaste contains. I think. I tossed the packaging. She's so small she only gets a half, and she loves them.

I have high hopes for the toothpaste and the chews because she refuses kibble, cookies, any baked treats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts