Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else used a clicker with thier chihs. I bought one today to try and work with Sunny more on his obediance. Thing is hes scared silly of it. Any hints on it? Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never used one with my animals, but if you want to use it, try getting him used to it by clickclickclick - give a treat, clickclickclick - give a treat. Make him think everytime he hears the click he will get a treat, then as he starts responding to the clicking favorably, give less treats until it is just the click.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[/url]http://www.clickertraining.com is a good starting point. Clicks always deserve treats. One click=one treat. Your goal is to make it so that he knows that whenever he hears a click, he comes looking for a treat. You can make a muffled sounding click if you stick tape or something over the clicker part. This way, he can be half way across the room, and if he does something you want him to do again, (IE, he lays down perfectly, on his own), you CLICK! He comes running for a treat. Next time he does it on his own, you click again, and he comes running for a treat. Pretty soon, he'll be figuring out "hey, whenever I lay down like THIS *click/treat*, I get good stuff!" Then he'll start laying down "at" you, expecting a click/treat. That's when you can put the verbal command to it. Every time he 'downs', you say "down", CLICK/TREAT. Pretty soon, you can say "down", he will then Down, and then you click and treat. He needs to figure out that he can MAKE you click and treat him. Then he'll start experimenting with different things, and you can start experimenting too. You stop clicking/treating at the 'half downs', and only click with the better ones. Eventually you only click/treat for the perfect ones. He'll figure it out. It's very rewarding when you see your dog "get it", and start communicating with you by sitting 'at' you, or doing odd things and looking at you to see if you'll click it. You *always* treat after a click, no matter what. It doesn't become so that the click is it's own reward. The CLICK is like a snapshot for a dog. At the very moment he hears the click, he knows he's doing something good. He'll then try hard to repeat the behaviour. I'm not an expert, but I've clicker trained my chi, and she's too smart for me to keep up with her. I have no imagination to keep her entertained. But you should see her intensity when the clicker comes out. She'll start going around the room smacking things with her paws until I click something, and then she'll keep it up on that particular thing until I get her down to a specific thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info. Im still working on getting him used to it. And hes doing well. Thats one of the few bad things about a rescue, knowing whats happened in thier past. He has made amazing progress in his obediance since I got him and he knows "gooooood Booy" and rejoices with wild wiggling and tail wagging knowing hes done well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts