Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scientists have just successfully cloned the first dog (an Afghan hound) and I thought I'd ask how you guys feel about that. Would you clone your chi or other pet if you had the opportunity?

I have strong ethical concerns about cloning in general (the potential for misuse is enormous and could be disastrous). But that aside, would I clone Lily? I don't think I would, as tempting as it would be to want to hold onto her forever. I don't think a cloned Lily = an original Lily. Any living creature is a product not only of its genetic makeup but its experiences as well. If you cloned Lily it would look like her - which would be great - but lacking what she's been through in life, it just wouldn't BE her. My Lily is timid and clingy and very needy due to her background. That's part of what I love in her and I don't think I'd want a perfect Lily at all.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I just watched "Godsend" TODAY :shock: Weird that you brought this topic up...I mean I know we're talking about two different things in a dog and person, but over the years I have had some wonderful dogs....would I clone them. NO!
Why?.....well, as far as my dogs go, when one goes over the Rainbow Bridge I always know I will have, or get, another one. And that one will be special and unique. I don't want the exact dog I had, no matter how perfect, sweet and special it was.

Not to mention, I too have strong ethical concerns about it. I am interested though in everyone else's views....

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Agree completely with you Rachel. I love Auggie with all my heart but a cloned Auggie would not BE Auggie. Plus I think there are enough dogs in the world thru normal mean that need a home without cloning dogs :roll: :(

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well setting aside the ethical concerns the cat they cloned last year (year before last?, as I get older time gets away from me, LOL) didn't look like her mother, didn't behave like her mother, in other words bore no resemblance to the cat she was cloned from. Even if I wanted another Marcus I don't see how a clone would necessarily be another Marcus. Besides if I cloned him it would somehow be admitting to myself he isn't going to live forever and I would much prefer not to do that. The boy owns my heart and I would much rather preceed him.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I wouldn't want to clone any of my pets. If Cooper died tomorrow, I wouldn't even dream of it because COOPER would be gone. The cloned Cooper would be a cheap imitation. Well, maybe a not-so-cheap imitation, but an imitation nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree, I think cloning is morally and ethically wrong.There is the argument that if they were abled to clone human embryos, they could use the stem cells to help heal terminally ill patients, with cancer and alzheimers etc.But to me anyway, its just too much like playing God.
And as for cloning Poppy? Much as I am in love with her, she is unique, a one time only creation and I woulld want to keep her alive in my memories of her and not have her recreated, it just wouldnt be HER :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm going to ammend my previous post here.

I wouldn't want to clone my pet for the sake of having another of the "same" pet but I do wholeheartedly support the research they are doing in cloning when it comes to finding cures and/or helping those with diseases.

Since I have MS, things like stem-cell research and all the other things they are trying to do that people find morally wrong affect me and 6 other members of my family, who all have MS, directly.

It's a double edged sword in the respect that you don't want cloned versions of yourself running around when the only reason they were created was to give you their blood, an organ, whatever... but, at the same time, if cloning research can help researchers find cures for these "uncurable" diseases without producing "unwanted" humans, then I'm all for it.

Personally, I'm all for it if they can just find something that makes the disease more tolerable for me. I can't speak for people with other diseases but, with MS, it is a multi-facaeted disease that affects the person in so many ways. If they can find a medication that would allow me to wake up in the mornings and not feel the pain in my joints or if I could actually do common household chores without having to sit down and rest every 10 minutes, I'd be in heaven.

I'm not trying to get sympathy but that's how it is. Research into cloning could help me and I want them to continue, on the basis that they don't start cloning humans to harvest from.

Of course, I don't answer to a "god" so I don't have the concerns that most of the non-supporters have that are based in religion and the Bible.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I have no problem with research, such as stem cell etc and if cloning is done for research then I would be ok with that. These are the way's that new treatments are developed and cures are found. But to " clone " Bella...no way...she is my perfect girl and her personality...quirks and all... is what makes her the lovable poppet that she is...I would not want a " replica " Bella.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i woudn't b/c i wacth too many moives and see what happens when people try to bring back there lvoed ones.! and plus when they did it to that sheep what was her name dolly i think she die like 2 years later ! so NO i wouldn't

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i saw godsend too ....creepy !!

that said i know it's ethically and morally wrong .....but if one of my chi's died tomorrow and i had the chance of cloning them .....

......i would do it in a heartbeat !!!!

kisses nat

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xx-nathalie-xx said:
i saw godsend too ....creepy !!

that said i know it's ethically and morally wrong .....but if one of my chi's died tomorrow and i had the chance of cloning them .....

......i would do it in a heartbeat !!!!

kisses nat
I can't fault you for that, sweetie. I understand perfectly how you feel. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cooper said:
I'm going to ammend my previous post here.

I wouldn't want to clone my pet for the sake of having another of the "same" pet but I do wholeheartedly support the research they are doing in cloning when it comes to finding cures and/or helping those with diseases.

Since I have MS, things like stem-cell research and all the other things they are trying to do that people find morally wrong affect me and 6 other members of my family, who all have MS, directly.

It's a double edged sword in the respect that you don't want cloned versions of yourself running around when the only reason they were created was to give you their blood, an organ, whatever... but, at the same time, if cloning research can help researchers find cures for these "uncurable" diseases without producing "unwanted" humans, then I'm all for it.

Personally, I'm all for it if they can just find something that makes the disease more tolerable for me. I can't speak for people with other diseases but, with MS, it is a multi-facaeted disease that affects the person in so many ways. If they can find a medication that would allow me to wake up in the mornings and not feel the pain in my joints or if I could actually do common household chores without having to sit down and rest every 10 minutes, I'd be in heaven.

I'm not trying to get sympathy but that's how it is. Research into cloning could help me and I want them to continue, on the basis that they don't start cloning humans to harvest from.

Of course, I don't answer to a "god" so I don't have the concerns that most of the non-supporters have that are based in religion and the Bible.
Totally in favor of research to help find cures and/or treatments for a multitude of diseases. I'm with you 100% there. :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tinker said:
The boy owns my heart and I would much rather preceed him.
My heart will shatter into a million pieces when Lily dies but I still hope I outlive her. What would she do without her mommy??? What if she ended up in some shelter with nobody to love her? She'd be so terrified and lonely. No, if there's a God, Lily will go first. :cry:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Tinker said:
The boy owns my heart and I would much rather preceed him.
My heart will shatter into a million pieces when Lily dies but I still hope I outlive her. What would she do without her mommy??? What if she ended up in some shelter with nobody to love her? She'd be so terrified and lonely. No, if there's a God, Lily will go first. :cry:

i dont think any of us would let lily end up in a shelter. if something like that ever happened (praying it never does) many of us here would gladly provide a home for her... i know i would! :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael, I just read this article on the internet yesterday and thought - "that would make a great topic for the forum" - but you beat me to it! :lol:

Would I clone Jazzy if I had he opportunity - no, for the same reasons others have given. It might look like Jazzy, but it wouldn't BE Jazzy. Every living thing is unique in some way, and the idea of trying to recreate a living being for your own selfish reasons is wrong in my view.

I do support stem cell research for the purposes of finding cures for some of the incureable diseases, as long as it is done in an ethical manner by ethical researchers.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I believe we as a human race are trying to play god in some things. I mean science advancement is wonderful, but when you try to fool with things like cloning, choosing the sex of your baby and other things I think it is completely wrong! I would never ever think of cloning, when you are given life you are also given death. If you where meant to be a twin God would have meant you to be a twin, we as humans and animals are one of a kind thats the way God intended it to be, And thats where it should stay. JMO :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree ... the only reason for cloning a human being at this time in our history would be to harvest the organs and use them as a "spare" person. That is just wrong on so many levels.

However, the research into cloning is producing a lot of information that is helping scientists in their efforts to cure diseases, etc. As long as they're not actually producing humans on a conveyer belt, I think it's great.

I don't know why I had to respond again, since I've already said all that before. :lol: Maybe I'm just feeling like a smartypants today. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts