Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my little one a couple of the cutest body warmers to keep her warm outside.... but unfortunately she hates them!! :cry: She refuses to walk with them on and keeps trying to eat them!! :roll: Did anyone have this problem or any ideas or shall I just keep trying and hope she gets used to it!? :?

Thanks
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico hates clothes, but i've been putting his sweater on him more and more and i think he's getting used to it.

when he was a puppy, i would put little muscle shirts on him and within minutes he'd take it off. he would roll around until it just slipped off, and if that didn't work, he'd pee and get it all wet! :lol: so then i'd HAVE to take it off, lol. he was funny the other day though, i had his sweater on him, and surprisingly he kept it on for about a half hour...then i look over at him and he'd gotten his head out of it, but the rest was still on his body :lol: he's such a little stinker!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha ha! :D Yeah the one I bought for Lola is like a muscle tee shirt because she had a major problem with the arms of her jumper so I bought her one without arms!! She also starts shaking when she has it on.... I told her " its supposed to make you warmer!!" Silly girl!! :D I guess she thinks she's pretty enough without it though!! :wink:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you just need to gradually get her used to it - give her rewards when she has had it on for a few mins then take it of and keep doing this and soon she wont realise she has it on :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
As long as what I put on Gizmo doesn't have sleeves he is fine...

Like he is ok with his PJ's, but by morning he is half naked....LOL...with arms and legs hanging out...I think it's because he has stumpy legs and when he bends them in his jammies his legs come out...

I have been putting him in clothes since he was 8 weeks though....he still bites the shirt, but soon forgets he has it on and is cool with it..

I can't wait until it gets cold here (well cold for Florida...LOL) so I can put a sweater on him.... :D :D

My suggestion is try to distract him when he is trying to take it off....a little bit every day....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget has been wearing clothes since he was like 5 weeks old.. The first one was made out of a sock... He was so cute in it...

If he doesn't want it on he will sit there and snip and growl... he has the cutest little I don't want it on growl.. it is funny because when I tell him he has to have it on or he doesn't get to go outside he will shut up and sit there and let me put it on... I think part of it is we keep the house warm and his big heavy sweater is too hot in the house for him..

He loves his jammie shirts I made him..

He loves his bandanas...

And he will definitly tell you when he doesn't want it off when he has it on and you are tryin to take it off of him..

And his harness... well, I have to get him ones that don't go over the head and he is fine with them too..

I will have to get video of him taking of his clothes when he doesn't want it...

I would try putting a bandana on her... MAybe she will like them... I do know the clothes that don't go over Gadgets head is alot easier for him to like...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
Gadget has been wearing clothes since he was like 5 weeks old.. The first one was made out of a sock... He was so cute in it... quote]

thats so funny, my boyfriend made bella shirt out a sock the first night we had her. It was this pretty blue sock but she wasn't havin it... it was precious though. I tried it on her the other day and it was awaaaaay to small. Its amazing how much she has grown in just 4 weeks!!!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Lucie , it took Fizzy about a month to get used to clothes ;) he
is ok with them now but not 100% happy . I'm hoping when it gets cold he will like them more :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper will wear clothes but at first, he didn't like them so much. I would put a shirt on him and he'd look at me as if to say "do I have to?"

Once he realized that he got even more attention from strangers when he was clothed, he would BEG for me to get a shirt out of the closet for him when we were leaving the house.

He doesn't like wearing clothes in the house when it's just us - he's a nudist at heart. But he's so much bigger than most of y'alls chis that he really doesn't need clothes to stay warm - they're more a fashion statement for him. :flower:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've had no luck trying to get clothes on...he hates it!! Wish I knew that before I went and bought him an entire wardrobe - lol. He doesn't even like his harness. Hopefully with some time and patience, it'll all work out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
oh Lady is a Stickler for harness and clothes she just drops and wont move I put the most adorable girly dress on her today with a bonnet she looked so darn perdy! but ... she wouldnt budge lol

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
When I first started dressing Lily she was afraid of anything going over her head. She gradually got used to it and it doesn't bother her in the least. She will even "help" me by stretching her front paws up... she often gets them caught in the neckhole rather than a leghole but at least she's trying. :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The really pitiful thing about Cooper wearing clothes is I was, and to a certain degree, still am one of those people that thinks clothing on dogs is just stupid. I never put clothes on my childhood chi except once and I felt so sorry for him, I wouldn't let anyone do it again. Now I can't keep my money or my dog out of the silly boutiques. I refuse to put Cooper in anything that doesn't look like something a boy would wear though. No dresses, halter tops, no pink or flowers, no girly stuff.

Wow... they were right. I am off my rocker.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I never have put clothes on my dogs and never will. Chihuahuas are small, but they are all dogs and I think trying to make little babies out of them isn`t quite appealing to me. I want my dogs to be my friends, my companions but still dogs....... besides most reputable breeders will tell you it`s not all that good for immune system either......

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella does wear clothes most days...if it is especially hot, we have a naked chi day and she only wears her diamonds LOL

But seriously...Bella really feels the cold and for the most part .....she wears something to stay warm...I could not imagine her survivng in the winter with our -35 C weather without protection ! We live on a river and even in the summer, the breeze off of the water is cool to her......I understand Ory&C's view and respect that but Bella is my baby and is treated as such....I have always treated my dogs as family members....and will continue to do so.

When I show Bella her PJ's for example...she has fav's and if she doesn't like the ones I have picked..she will not jump up on the bed....if I have the one's she wants...she immediately jumps up on the bed and even puts her legs out for easy access........I bought her some tops from a lady on the internet and Bella hates them...and boy does she let me know, but If I bring out one the one's she likes...she's right there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought Lola a muscle t-shirt and she's fine with it! :D It must have been the arms she didn't like!! It gets so cold here in the UK that she has to wear something to keep her little body warm otherwise she shakes. I'd rather put something on her and look silly than let her freeze! :wink:

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Cooper said:
The really pitiful thing about Cooper wearing clothes is I was, and to a certain degree, still am one of those people that thinks clothing on dogs is just stupid. Now I can't keep my money or my dog out of the silly boutiques. I refuse to put Cooper in anything that doesn't look like something a boy would wear though. No dresses, halter tops, no pink or flowers, no girly stuff.
LOL! I feel exactly the same. I never thought I'd be "one of those people" that dresses up their dog either...until I got one! I always thought it was dumbest thing, until I realized they are so tiny they'd freeze their butts off unless you live in the tropics.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
But seriously...Bella really feels the cold and for the most part .....she wears something to stay warm...I could not imagine her survivng in the winter with our -35 C weather without protection ! We live on a river and even in the summer, the breeze off of the water is cool to her......I understand Ory&C's view and respect that but Bella is my baby and is treated as such....I have always treated my dogs as family members....and will continue to do so.
Oh don`t get me wrong, my dogs have always been a part of my family and always will be. They sleep on my bed, they get the best food, medical treatment and spend hardly any time alone...... we train agility and we go jogging in the woods together every day. I think they have it pretty good :D . But still I`m against treating a dog as a substitute for a baby. It doesn`t benefit to them at all. If you treat dogs as completely equal, they will feel it and it is way too often that I see dogs turning nasty and unbearable (unfortunately many end up in shelters because of that) for the owners..... because dogs expect their "leader", alfa dog (in our case the owner) to b just that. To be the leader and what he says, goes. Dogs do not have the same logic as we do.....
:D And oh my god Nabi...... -35`C??? :shock: That`s terrible! We don`t get that ever. Here in Europe it`s mostly around 0 or -5. And that`s not a problem even for a Chi. As for UK, winters are not as cold, at least not down south..... as long as you prepare your dog for the cold outside (which means that before taking him out, you take him to a room without heating, to adjust slowly) and as long as he`s active outside, there`s no need for any clothes whatsoever. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts