Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at possible future babies and was wondering something. I know that their color can change as they age, but what colors generally change? And do sc change very often or is it mainly lc?
I am looking at some new ones and just curious what the color is going to turn out to be.
:)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
With LC a whole bunch of things can happen. Really there is no way to summarize.

With SC generally they get darker if they are light puppies and lighter if they are dark puppies other than black.

Black usually stays black but they can get a coloured undercoat.

White usually gets some spotting, very few stay white white.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With LC a whole bunch of things can happen. Really there is no way to summarize.

With SC generally they get darker if they are light puppies and lighter if they are dark puppies other than black.

Black usually stays black but they can get a coloured undercoat.

White usually gets some spotting, very few stay white white.
Hmm well thanks a bunch for the info. It defo helps!
I want a light one this time fo sho, but as far as LC or SC i'm still totally on the fence. Argh!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
OMG you should get MChi's Mobie!! :) He is soooooooooooooooooo cute!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Leo has been changing since we brought him home! I think hes at the color hes going to stay now, maybe he will lose more black though. I think Reese was around 10 months when he started getting blond fur in his neck. Hes still chocolate, but his "roots" are blond and it shows through a little bit, like he has highlights. He was a little over a year when his chin turned white. Miley has never changed. I think the black, chocolate, and blue and tans stay pretty consistent, maybe develop some lighter spots. I think the LCs change colors much more drastically than the SC. I wouldnt worry too much about the color or whether it will change, you wont mind once youve got your puppy if they change a little. Just dont buy a sable for their facial markings or masks, those usually seem to go.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I would say that sables have the most drastic color changes...that I've seen anyway, since a lot of them lose their darker markings. I know some blues tend to get darker as they age. My Faith was a lighter blue as a puppy and darkened from puppy to adulthood. Our Glory was born a darker blue and stayed that way. All my other families' chihuahuas have never changed color and they include two SC fawns, a SC black/tan, and a LC chocolate/white.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi buster is sc 6 months he was a dark sable red with black mask but in the last month he seems to be lightening up or maybe i should say hes losing most of the black in his undercoat i think hes very handsome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts