Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the dogs I own, I only have two with longer coats, and neither of them are chihuahuas. Wren, my husky, is a pretty independent soul, and while she loves attention, if left to her own devices she's just as happy to sleep in an empty room with a cushy spot as she is to spend time in a room with us.

All the rest of my dogs are very insistent about being in the same room (and, usually, on the same piece of furniture) as the people in the house, and when covers are available, all of my short haired dogs dive right under them. In general, they like to settle up against you or up against each other or, ideally, both at the same time. Sprite, on the other hand, prefers to lie on top of the covers and a little bit away from me and the other dogs. I always figured this had to do with how much thicker his coat was, and that being under the covers or up close to body heat simply makes him feel too warm.

Lyra, being short-haired and limpet-clingy, calls dibs on laps whenever one is accessible, and if one isn't, she goes under covers or nestles up against another dog.

So, does anybody find that the longhaired chis, having thicker coats, tend to be less insistent about being right on top of you than the smooth coats? This isn't to suggest that LCs are any less affectionate than SCs, but I just wonder if they are ever less inclined to be on you, under blankets, etc? What are people's experiences?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,665 Posts
Bella and Lina, my current babies, are both short hair chis, but their personalities are quite different.

Bella has very thin, short, single layer fur coat. She doesn't need to cuddle with us as she is quite independent. She will cuddle under the covers only if you pick her up and tuck her under the covers with you, and only if she decides she wants to stay under the covers. 50% of the time, she'll come out from under the covers and decides to sit/lie down on top of the covers.

Lina, on the other hand, has a double layer, thick fur coat. She is most content and happy when she is cuddling under the covers with us, sitting on our laps under the covers, and always being near and touching either my husband or me 24/7.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
Both Yosh (sc) and Chibi (LC and thick) both want to be under the covers and up against me about 95% of the time and the other 5 % of time will lay on top of covers but still up against me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Lavender, who is a long-haired Chi, and Cosmo, my Bichon, who has tons of hair, both love to be close to me and love to be under covers, whether it's on the couch or in bed. They will burrow under the afghan on the couch, under pillows, whatever. Lavender gets under the blankets in the cuddle beds, too. They have baby blankets that they get covered up with at night, even though they sleep with me. They both get under the covers sometimes, but Cosmo likes to sleep on a pillow, too. Our usual evening arrangement is me sitting on the couch, reading or watching TV, Cosmo on one side very close to me snuggled in between me and the arm of the couch and Lavender on my lap. We all three are covered up with an afghan. It's very cozy and many times I will be petting both of them. We spend the whole evening like this and then go to bed and snuggle some more. They're my sweethearts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
I have a long and smooth coat chi and both would go against the OP's theory. LOL My smooth coat chi would rather be alone and cold than snuggle up with people and she definitely does not prefer to be covered. My long coat chi MUST be on someone's lap or snuggled next to someone and she LOVES being covered. My husky has thick coat and loves to be near people, he'd rather be warm and close to his family than cooler and away from his people. :) If he does ever get warmer than is comfortable for him he may move away by a foot or so until he cools down but then typically comes back when he's comfortable again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,831 Posts
Both Pip and Roo are short coats, although Pip's coat is double layered and much thicker. Roo is a single layer short coat and she has alopecia so not a lot of fur. Mine are both extremely affectionate and major snugglers, they want to be as close to me as possible, as often as possible. :) And they both love being under covers too or in their (numerous, lol) snuggle sacks.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top