Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the GW coco oil on Miya for the first time today. She can't stop licking herself!! ahahahaha it's hilarious! I put some on my fingers and she loves it! So in between her licking my fingers and licking herself, she should stop itching! Also, Taji (kitty) loves the taste of it too!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Just be careful, don't give too much or too often, it can give bad diarrhea.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
♥ Marabou ♥;894071 said:
I didn't know you could put coconut oil on their coat! What benefits does it have?

According to its advocates, when taken internally, coconut oil:

• Reduces the risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions

• Improves cholesterol levels and helps fight heart disease

• Improves digestion and nutrient absorption

• Heals digestive disorders like Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, and colitis

• Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agents that prevent infection and disease

• Relieves arthritis

• Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including thrush and candidiasis

• Prevents and treats viral infections, including herpes, measles, and the flu

• Helps balance the body’s metabolism and hormones

• Promotes normal thyroid function

• Helps prevent or control diabetes

• Rejuvenates the skin and protects against skin cancer, age spots, acne, and other blemishes

• Helps prevent osteoporosis

• Reduces allergic reactions

• Supplies fewer calories than other fats.

Applied topically, its boosters say that coconut oil also does the following:

• Disinfects cuts

• Promotes wound healing

• Improves skin health and hair condition

• Deodorizes whatever it touches (some people brush their teeth with it or use it as an underarm deodorant)

• Clears up warts, moles, psoriasis, eczema, dandruff, precancerous lesions, athlete’s foot, jock itch, diaper rash, ringworm, vaginal yeast infections, and toenail fungus.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks for the info, I am going to try this on Mimi!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I knew that coconut oil was good for humans but I never thought about it for dogs. That is a great idea. Jaxx has been itching a bit lately. I figured it was probably the dry air due to winter.
I will have to go and find some coconut oil.

Is there any certain brand I should look for?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to GW little's website and bought their brand since that is the one primarily mentioned on these forums.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I hate to sound not bright, but are you talking about any kind of coconut oil or is there a kind for dogs and a kind for humans. Also, how much do you give?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Tina, it is the same.

Whole Foods or luckyvitamin.com or vitacost.com will have it.

I use it on my dry skin. Many here scramble eggs in it. For themselves and their Chis. I get unrefined and organic. The jar is at home so I am uncertain the brand.

I have one with chronic colitis so I've been wary to offer it to the girls yet.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I am amazed at all I have learned in the past few days of being on this site. Thanks to all you guys so much!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I did some research of my own after reading this thread today here is some more info c/p. Thanks for your post LS!

Do you know about Coconut Oil for Dogs?

Added to the diet coconut oil can help slim overweight dogs, condition dry shabby-looking coats, offers some relief to painful arthritis or ligament problems, can help balance the thyroid, gives dogs a natural source of energy and helps keep dogs smelling better. My favorite use of coconut oil - improves digestion and nutrient absorption. I replace all oils in the doggy treats I bake with Coconut Oil.

People have found with topical use their dogs ear infections improve, as do flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and other skin irritations. It's also been shown to help get rid of moles, heal sores and condition the dog's dry cracked feet pads.

The oil can be applied to sores. It is slow absorbing so try to keep the dog occupied for several minutes after applying it. Try it on hot spots, sore foot pads, minor bites or even to clean ears.

Coconut oil will deodorize anything it touches and will make your dog smell better when it's fed to him. Dogs love the taste of coconut and many will lick it off a spoon. It can be feed alone or mixed in dog food. Start very slow. Work up to a teaspoon a day for each 20 pounds of body weight. If you notice greasy stools cut back the oil for a few days. The oil will help detox the system so it's important to go slow and over several weeks work up to the full doseage.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thanks so much for your research efforts. It sounds like for a little less than 6lb dog they could lick a little of a spoon to start.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My chi and kitty love the way this stuff tastes. They have the coconut chips too. Miya likes them, but the cat doesn't really care for them. It's awesome that this is a product (the oil) that cats, dogs, and humans can all eat and use on skin...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts