Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading through Paula/ foggy's thread on ZP and now Im curious to try the coconut oil that Tracy and a few others suggested as a supplement, particularly for Reese.
Reese has always had pretty sensitive skin which seems to be due to some food and environmental allergies. We now stick to red meat or fish formulas for him and cutting out the chicken and any grains certainly seems to have helped. Now that we have that cold, dry winter air though hes been scratching a lot more, especially at his lower back. I had a look in his fur and he has some very dry, flaky skin going on back there which is clearly bothering him. He never scratches to the point of scabs or raw skin, but he does currently have a thin patch of fur going where hes frequently scratching and nibbling. Our vet suggested a daily dose of baby Benadryl for him, but Id prefer to do a natural supplement over giving him a pill every day.
We use salmon oil, I think it does give their fur a little extra luster, but now Im wondering if this Coconut Oil would really relieve his itchies-whether we used it topically or gave it to him as an occasional supplement. Wasnt it coconut oil that Kristi tried with saran wrap after a bath for Bryco? I wonder if that might be good for Reesie too, he is due for his bath but Ive been putting it off to avoid further drying of his skin.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I'm tagging along here as I'd like to learn more about supplementing coconut oil before giving it to my crew. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Coconut Oil is supposed to help with the itchies. Neem Oil helps as well, Ziva has been itching like Crazy lately, I'm going to give her high doses of Vitamin A, E, C & Zinc, which I have read are supposed to help with their allergies. (I have to look at the doses in the book tomorrow at work). Vitamin E should be given any time you supplement with Salmon/Fish Oil

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
am curious to see what the response to this is too. Tootsie has allergies and have never tried coconut oil supplement. Is there a recommended site to order it from?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sarah (daisydoo) uses coconut oil and so does Lisa (mom of 4 chis). I decided to try it for Brody after reading that some people use it for alopecia. It's supposed to be fantastic for dry skin. And yes! Kristi did use it for Bryco in a wrap!

I've been trying to find reputable sources of info on it. Lots of advertisers out there and of course they are saying how great it is. It doesn't seem to be a snake oil, so I'm trying it for Brody, although he has great skin/coat already. I thought maybe it would help his little bald neck and belly. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes it will help you can give internally and topically I would do both if he has dry skin I'm gonna massage lotus with it tomorrow she's teething again and er skin drys out and she stinks!! I don't wrap her just massage and leave it for a couple of ours and shampoo with an oatmeal shampoo and condition you have to shampoo twice or they look greasy!

I give about 1/8 teaspoon every other day they seem to like it daisy loves it :roll: I buy massive blocks and decant into smaller jars as it's cheaper last time I did it daisy thought taking a massive bite would be fun... Sure it was til she had rocket bum so be careful give a tiny bit and build up to the amount!!

Is really nice on your hair too haha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I give it as a wrap maybe every other month...its been fantastic for his coat...makes it soft, supple and shiney. They get about 1/2 a teaspoon 3-4 times a week with their food.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I leave it on for an hour, and I wrap him fairly tightly in saran wrap. It takes about 3/4 of a cup to really cover him well, so you might need a cup of it for Reese...massage it into his skin and hair and wrap, and keep him nice and toasty warm...wrap the saran wrap and make sure he can't get it off.

Be warned you need to wash and rinse 2x after to be sure you got it or he will look like a lil greaseball ;) I'd use an oatmeal medicated shampoo for him :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'll have to try this, too! Pedro had terrible skin allergies when we got him. We tried everything the vet suggested - nothing worked. Ultimately, he suggested adding a tablespoon of olive oil to his food 2-3 times a week and this did the trick. He balks at the taste a bit, but will eat when he sees he isn't getting anything else.

Does the coconut oil taste like coconut? Sweet?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
am curious to see what the response to this is too. Tootsie has allergies and have never tried coconut oil supplement. Is there a recommended site to order it from?
I saw one at gwlittle.com that seems to tick all the boxes mentioned in the article Tracy linked too- non bleached, unrefined, glass jar, but I think Ill check our local health food and pet health food stores first. Sounds like it should be readily available in any health food store or organic section.

Sarah (daisydoo) uses coconut oil and so does Lisa (mom of 4 chis). I decided to try it for Brody after reading that some people use it for alopecia. It's supposed to be fantastic for dry skin. And yes! Kristi did use it for Bryco in a wrap!

I've been trying to find reputable sources of info on it. Lots of advertisers out there and of course they are saying how great it is. It doesn't seem to be a snake oil, so I'm trying it for Brody, although he has great skin/coat already. I thought maybe it would help his little bald neck and belly. :)

Ok here's the article from the Whole Dog Journal. It's an excellent and reputable publication, so I trust what they say as accurate.

http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf
Wow! Thanks for the link, it really does sound impressive. Ill be curious to hear how it works for Brody. I saw an ad for one in the GW Little summer catalog and that it was supposed to relieve allergies caught my eye, but like you said an ad is an ad so I dismissed it. So much more valuable to have first hand feedback. I wonder if it will do anything for our resident baldy, Miley.

Yes it will help you can give internally and topically I would do both if he has dry skin I'm gonna massage lotus with it tomorrow she's teething again and er skin drys out and she stinks!! I don't wrap her just massage and leave it for a couple of ours and shampoo with an oatmeal shampoo and condition you have to shampoo twice or they look greasy!

I give about 1/8 teaspoon every other day they seem to like it daisy loves it :roll: I buy massive blocks and decant into smaller jars as it's cheaper last time I did it daisy thought taking a massive bite would be fun... Sure it was til she had rocket bum so be careful give a tiny bit and build up to the amount!!

Is really nice on your hair too haha
Thanks Sarah. Now Im excited to do a hair mask for me with it too :)
THANK YOU for the rocket bum warning, we will be sure to ease into it, diarrhea x3 is the last thing we need!

I give it as a wrap maybe every other month...its been fantastic for his coat...makes it soft, supple and shiney. They get about 1/2 a teaspoon 3-4 times a week with their food.
I leave it on for an hour, and I wrap him fairly tightly in saran wrap. It takes about 3/4 of a cup to really cover him well, so you might need a cup of it for Reese...massage it into his skin and hair and wrap, and keep him nice and toasty warm...wrap the saran wrap and make sure he can't get it off.

Be warned you need to wash and rinse 2x after to be sure you got it or he will look like a lil greaseball ;) I'd use an oatmeal medicated shampoo for him :)
Thanks Kristi! Is there a particular brand you like best? I think I will do a mask for Reese and for Leo, and feed it to all three as well. How long have you been giving it to your pups? Have you noticed any improvement in Brycos itchies?

I'll have to try this, too! Pedro had terrible skin allergies when we got him. We tried everything the vet suggested - nothing worked. Ultimately, he suggested adding a tablespoon of olive oil to his food 2-3 times a week and this did the trick. He balks at the taste a bit, but will eat when he sees he isn't getting anything else.

Does the coconut oil taste like coconut? Sweet?
We did olive oil for Reese too, and then switched to salmon oil. I did notice an extra sheen to his coat, but neither seemed to make much difference with his allergies. Im glad it worked for Pedro! Sounds like the coconut oil tastes pretty good, maybe he will prefer it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco hasn't been itchy at all for the past 2 or 3 weeks, I think the grains finally are out of his system. I hate to point a finger, but I have no where else to point it lol.

Their coats are noticeably softer, which I didn't think was possible, since starting the coconut oil. I never noticed loose stools but my guys all have iron tummies other than Bryco, and even he did fine with it :)

They've been on it for 6 months or so now, I just buy whatever there is at our local health food store that is extra virgin.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Just to play the devil's advocate here, what are the negatives to using coconut oil if there are any? Are there any calorie or fat content concerns that we should be paying attention to? BTW, I love this thread. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just to play the devil's advocate here, what are the negatives to using coconut oil if there are any? Are there any calorie or fat content concerns that we should be paying attention to? BTW, I love this thread. :)
Hmm...good point. Maybe someone that knows will answer.

For the calories, it's such a small amount that I wouldn't think it will make a difference.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Hmm...good point. Maybe someone that knows will answer.

For the calories, it's such a small amount that I wouldn't think it will make a difference.
I wouldn't think calories or fat would play a major factor either BUT I'm asking to get all sides presented here for people to know as much as they can to make an informed decision. ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
This website talks about the Fats etc of coconut oil
CocoTherapy - Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, coconut oil is a saturated fat, but not all saturated fat is bad for you. It is not the kind doctors warn you about. Coconut oil is one of the world's few saturated-fat vegetable oils. Recently, saturated fats have been getting a second look, because it turns out that not all saturated fats are the same. The saturated fatty acids found in butter, cream, and some meats are palmitic acid and myristic acid, and have been linked to a higher risk of heart disease. However, coconut oil does not contain these fatty acids, and instead contains lauric acid, stearic acid (also found in dark chocolate), capric and caprylic acid. Unlike palmitic acid and myristic acid (the saturated fat culprits) these acids behave differently in the body, and research show that they do not raise heart disease risk. In fact, it has been proven to be good for you. CocoTherapy® coconut oil is all natural and pure, and is not hydrogenated, and is rich in lauric, capric and caprylic acids.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I am definitely going to start giving Coconut Oil more religiously after reading up on it, there is a blue merle chihuahua with alopecia on the website link I posted above that had hair fill in after Coconut Oil....Zoey & Ziva need more hair!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts