Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been mentioned before...

I want to take Miya outside for walks and stuff. She's so small and the cold weather concerns me. She's 3lbs. I see people who have their small dogs outside in the cold weather. Even in the slightest wind, she trembles. Is it mean to take her out in the cold? She's not really use to it as she pees inside on pads. Some friends want to go on a nature walk with their Chihuahua and have invited us...She hates coats, but I guess I need to get her a warm one if we decide to go. The weather here fluctuates between 35-60 degrees fahrenheit. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Cricket weighs 3 lbs also. My husband won't let her wee wee in the house so she goes outside does her business and comes right back in. We have a sweater for her. A nature walk is kinda long tho so make sure if y'all go that she has a warm one. With it on when she goes out she will be grateful for it. They make sweaters with little hole for the lead of the harness.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
That is about what the weather has been here lately.

At first Jaxx hated clothes but now if I take his clothes off of him he whines. He even went and found one of his shirts the other day in my room and brought it to me when I was letting him run around the house naked.

When it first started getting cold here Jaxx shivered like crazy. He still shivers if it is really cold (it got down into the 20's last night) but he also enjoys his walks. I thought it was too cold one day for him to be out and he kept trying to go the other direction for a walk when I was trying to go inside.

I have lightweight shirts and some heavier coats for when it is colder for Jaxx.

We take him out to go to the bathroom no matter what the weather...although he makes it a quick trip when it is raining. His walks for exercise are shorter now then they were when it was warmer but he still gets them unless it is raining at which time neither one of us want to be outside for long.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is about what the weather has been here lately.

At first Jaxx hated clothes but now if I take his clothes off of him he whines. He even went and found one of his shirts the other day in my room and brought it to me when I was letting him run around the house naked.

When it first started getting cold here Jaxx shivered like crazy. He still shivers if it is really cold (it got down into the 20's last night) but he also enjoys his walks. I thought it was too cold one day for him to be out and he kept trying to go the other direction for a walk when I was trying to go inside.

I have lightweight shirts and some heavier coats for when it is colder for Jaxx.

We take him out to go to the bathroom no matter what the weather...although he makes it a quick trip when it is raining. His walks for exercise are shorter now then they were when it was warmer but he still gets them unless it is raining at which time neither one of us want to be outside for long.
at what age did Jaxx start liking his clothes? I wish Miya would wear them! I put her soft harness on her and she does one of two things: she either refuses to move or every step she takes she's giving me the "eye"...like "get this crap off me mom" ...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
When we got Jaxx he was 5 months and had never had clothes on before.

We had him about a month when he started actually not trying to tear the clothes off of himself when I put them on. Now I think he is a clothes hoarder. He does not care if it his clothes, my BF clothes, or mine he thinks they are all his. He is naked right now but he is curled up in a pair of my jeans that I had laid on the loveseat last night after taking him out at 3 am.

I think the only way that we got Jaxx used to clothes was persistence. I started with his cloth harness and leaving it on for short periods in the house when I was around to watch him. (I did not want to risk it on him without me being so close by to watch because I did not know what he was going to do to try to get it off.) I figured it was something small enough that even though he did not like it at first it was good for him and I knew I wanted him to get used to it. After that I moved up to a very light weight t-shirt and now he wears anything I put on him and never fusses. At first he did not like even the harness and even growled a few times when I put it on him but now he just sits back and wags his tail and waits.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If it's a longer walk and colder then heavy doggie coat would be best. My older Chi goes out and does her business and is back in a flash lol.. She hates the cold and when it rains is the worse I have to tell her over and over go potty lol she will finally give in and realize she is not coming back in unless she does her business lol. My puppy just turned 7 weeks so she is using pee pads for now till she gets older since she is so small and it has been in 30's. Jsut 3 days ago we were 60's. If it is warmer in the afternoon I will take her out but for now pee pads are working good lol.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably am not going to take her on the nature walk. It's just too windy and cold. Maybe if it's sunny out we'll go to the park.

When I pick up Miya's harness she runs and hides. I have to trick her to come to me with treats, then I put it on her, and reward her. Recently, I've began to have her wear it in the house when I can watch her (like you do with Jaxx), that's a good idea so I'm gonna stick with that and she will graduate to tshirts one of these days.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I probably am not going to take her on the nature walk. It's just too windy and cold. Maybe if it's sunny out we'll go to the park.

When I pick up Miya's harness she runs and hides. I have to trick her to come to me with treats, then I put it on her, and reward her. Recently, I've began to have her wear it in the house when I can watch her (like you do with Jaxx), that's a good idea so I'm gonna stick with that and she will graduate to tshirts one of these days.
Our big dog Oreo hated collars when he was little. He would always try and get it off. I left it on him, and now 7 months later, he doesn't even know its there. Harnesses are different tho. I let Cricket run around the house without the collar but if we go somewhere (I always carry her) she wears it cause of the tag.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Miya will wear the clothing if you work on it hard enough. Make it a positive experience for
her, reward and praise. As for the weather it's a piece of cake if you have her in a warm
sweater or coat. Make sure it fits properly and is practical, not just cute. I live in Canada
and we get the real cold here, lol, yet there are no excuses all dogs must go out, be it
freezing, rain or snow. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd try sweaters...they're typically more comfortable than jackets. Chi's can adjust...all mine take themselves out willingly via doggy door to potty & it gets below 0 at times during the winter here in Maine. And they don't wear sweaters usually. :)

To get her used to clothing...just put a shirt/sweater on & leave it on her for a day or two. She'll get use to it with time.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Ninja loves the rain I mean really loves it. So also loves strong wind as she runs with it lol. But dollie point blank refuses to go out in the cold. She just sits on my shoe. But I have brought her a coat and she wears little booties and now she is fine.
You have to take your dog out so just try make your chi as warm and comfortable as possible on its walks.
You could also take a carrie bag justincase it gets to bad on you walks with your friends as then you can just pick your chi up and put into a warm safe bag.
They are fine to go in the cold but not for really long periods of time

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I take Finn (6.5 pounds, but very petite) on cold weather hikes inside a hiking pouch. He wears a coat (he doesn't mind clothes) and is wrapped in a blanket. The pouch is against my chest, so i can put my arms around him if things get breezy. He absolutely loves the pouch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts