Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this in the small breeds as common?? I took yoda to the vet today for his other checkup first let me back up. The Vet was treating him for round worms NOT tape worms.. He asked me a millon times what they looked like and I told him a grain of rice... Have you ever seen a long grain of rice like spagetti????? IDIOT.. Anyways he treated him today for the tape worms again not the round worms. I dont know where he got that mix up.

He said that Yoda's coughing was that he had a collapsing trachia. That we he plays too much hes trachia closes until he stops. He said it is common in small breeds and to give him benadryl. Which really doesnt make any sense, since when he wakes up he is hacking. I said he had hairballs and he says dogs dont get hairballs. Well I said he probably got it from the fuzz on this toys. He still said No way.... This is the same guy who misunderstood a round worm from a tape worm when i described it as a grain of rice.

What to do ..... :roll:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
collapsing trachea usually happens when they are playing, going for a walk or excited but it can happen involuntary at any time - do a search of the site for more info Im sure there is an article in the articles section on it :D Your vet doesnt sound too good I would think about definately changing vets or atleast getting a second opinion :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ozzysmom said:
collapsing trachea usually happens when they are playing, going for a walk or excited but it can happen involuntary at any time - do a search of the site for more info Im sure there is an article in the articles section on it :D Your vet doesnt sound too good I would think about definately changing vets or atleast getting a second opinion :wave:
i agree about changing vets.....

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I think I would change vets also. But their is some possible validity in what he is saying Toy dogs are prone to trachea collaspe. It could also be reverse sneezing which sounds awful but is not serious. Collasped trachea is serious. Do a search for both things on this site but I would check with another vet :roll:

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
jacob does that quite alot one lady a breeder told me every time he has a bad time of it to gently cover his nose so he has to open his airway to breathe it sounded quite creul at first and when i tried jacob gave me the most funny look but it stopped it instantly tyke also does it

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
From what I have heard and read, collapsing trachea is more common in small breeds. My last chi had this, along with a heart murmur, so I had to carefully monitor her playtimes, and try not to let her get too excited. One thing I remember my vet telling me is to always use a harness for her rather than a collar, as a collar puts pressure on the throat when they pull on the leash.

If you are unhappy with your vet, I would search for a new one-you really need to have confidence in your vet. We worry enough about our babies, without having to be nervous about the vet. Maybe some of your friends could give you some recommendations.

Hope Yoda is all better real soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts