Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm trying to teach Lexi to tolerate having her lightweight nylon collar on. I put it on her when she was asleep and adjusted it so that I can still get a finger or two beneath it. So it is loose enough for her but not that it'll fall off.

When she woke up she would sit down every 30 seconds and have a scratch at it, spinning the collar round! I've checked her coat every day since getting her home, to make sure she doesn't have fleas. Her skin isn't red or scabby looking so it's definitely not an allergy. She just seems to hate the collar!

So, do I just leave it on and distract her or something when she's scratching?? It's really important for me that she learns to wear a collar, I couldn't bear to loose her in the future.

How long did your Chi/s take to tolerate their collar?

:wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Porsha did the same thing. I first tried a harness but she keept getting her legs tangled up in it so i got a collar with a bell attached and it took about 1-2 weeks i guess. She still scratches there sometimes ( bells justa ringing) :lol: Hang in there your baby will soon forget it even there.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Oh they hate those collars....it took Gizzie 4 days...but I ended taking it off because while he was "used" to it...that darn scratching was driving me crazy...plus he was eating his rabies tag....so I finally took it off..we decided to wait until he is older...if not he is gonna get a collar with no dangling tags...

Persistance...but if you read on...you'll see most chi's don't like them at all...

But they don't mind the harness...go figure :roll:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
collars take some getting used to. chiwi still won't get used to it, i've tried everything with her. she don't even like her harness. she prefers to be naked.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I put a collar w/ tag on Taco when I first got him and he didn't like it at first. Scratched at it for about 3 days, then quit. It's the harness he doesn't like. He scratches at it and he even got hold of one and chewed through the strap in the front, the part that lays across his chest. Had to go get him a new one. Now I know better, to take it off right away after we get home.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Callisto only wears her collar or harness when we're going for walks of if I'm taking her outside the house (god forbid she ever got lost without tags!) Her hair gets all funny around her neck if she wears it too long so I don't bother. She still goes a little nuts when we put it on but once we're outside shes having too much fun to notice

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine did the same thing for a week or so...they just need to get used to it I think. I just left it on her and now she hardly scratches there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts