Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could help or offer advice I would be sooo grateful.

I am trying to train Radley to wear his collar and get use to it so we can go out for walks etc once he has had his second vaccination next week.
However, everytime you go near him with the collar he goes bezerk, growling, biting, and its not playfully it can get quite viscious.

He has bitten my fingers quite badly and it is only when my partner comes in and really reprimands him that he then allows the collar on, but still with a struggle.

The collar (pic below) is a soft puppy training collar, and half the problem is in the fastening, it is incredibly stiff and tight, which means it takes longer than necessary to actually put the thing on.

I do have a training harness, but similarly to the collar it is tight/stiff and has to be pulled over his head which again he hates.

I have tried offering a treat when he does it well, but in fairness this is not very often.
I am not sure what went wrong as when we first got him he would let me put the collar on fine, and nothing bad or nasty has happened to suddenly swing this change.:confused:

Would I be better using a leather collar or one with a buckle?

Please help?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would recomend halters always with chi's for walking. thats my first bit of advice. the other is maybe but a nummy treat between your first finger and thumb withthe head opening of the halter over them. show him the treat and make him work at it between your fingers as he's munching try slipping it over his head.

IF that doesn't work they have these nifty halters called step ins. they don't go over your puppies head but he basically steps into them and it snaps up top. I use these for salem, since even regular halters tend to pull on his throat which makes his trachea go funky ;) I can probably take pics of the halter ( the step in) if you want allthough salem gets a little hyper when i get it out LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am going to take a trip to the pet shop this morning and see if they have a step in halter that will fit him. I do prefer them if I am honest and used them on my old dog, but am struggling to find one small enough for Radley.
:(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
A lot of people use a ferret halter from the pet store for tiny pups, that might be an option to get you by until hes a little bigger and fits into the puppy sizes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
he does look tiny but adorable! If they don't have one small enough you might be able to find someone local who makes collars/halters, or a site that takes measurments? i dunno LOL

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
When I got Billy, he was so small, I used a cat harness. There is also ferret harnesses if he is really tiny.

·
Registered
384 Posts

his collar

fights

round 1

round 2

round 3

(ijust took all of these to explain)

randy is 16 months and refuses to put on his collar too.:foxes15: maybe you should try tricking your chi. or else just use the harnest. how does your chi act with the harnest??? and if you do successfully put on the collar and your chi slips out you might wanna start using the harnest. :coolwink:
i love the harnest i had, but day randy saw it on the floor and torn it to shreds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought about the other animals harnesses as people do walk guinea pigs and all sorts now lol. I will take him to the shop with me and try and measure one up against him.

Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leiah, that looks similar to Radleys efforts to avoid the collar. He has never slipped out of the collar once on.
He is sleeping at the moment, and I could try and slip it on whilst he is sleepy, but this could also go nasty as he gets grumpy if he is woken up lol

Wow these chi's really are like toddlers sometimes ha ha

·
Registered
384 Posts
leiah, that looks similar to Radleys efforts to avoid the collar. He has never slipped out of the collar once on.
He is sleeping at the moment, and I could try and slip it on whilst he is sleepy, but this could also go nasty as he gets grumpy if he is woken up lol

Wow these chi's really are like toddlers sometimes ha ha

okay, thats good he hasnt slipped out the collar. randy has.
and yes, since dogs like to use the bathroom when they wake up, you could try putting on a few times before he wakes up.

lol and yes they are! :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm.... Random puppy, i just slipped his collar around his neck as he woke up, armed with a small treat, I have used another collar I had lurking around which is suede with a buckle fastening. He didnt even growl at me, he did wriggle but not much. He is now strolling around quite happy and he has just gone out to his puppy pad without argument.

He obviously doesnt like the nylon material, do you think it could cause some kind of static on his fur?

He isnt unhappy about wearing this collar at all???? :?

·
Registered
384 Posts
hmmm.... Random puppy, i just slipped his collar around his neck as he woke up, armed with a small treat, I have used another collar I had lurking around which is suede with a buckle fastening. He didnt even growl at me, he did wriggle but not much. He is now strolling around quite happy and he has just gone out to his puppy pad without argument.

He obviously doesnt like the nylon material, do you think it could cause some kind of static on his fur?

He isnt unhappy about wearing this collar at all???? :?

lol "random puppy"

and since he seems fine with his collar on i guess he is. if you see any reactions from the collar on his neck then dont use it anymore. keep an eye out on him, thats all.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Maybe he gets pinched when you tried to closed the fashioner, I did it once with Reggie, he was trying to play while I was putting on his collar and he was very leary after that for a while.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i cant even put the collar half way on without a fight, so i dont think im pinching him. i wish it would stop too.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Leslie said he used to let her put it on. Maybe when he was letting her put it on, his skin got caught when it was closed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His skin never got caught, I would keep my fingers between him and the clip. So this isnt the answer :( :?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may have found an option for the harness, I have just got back from the petshop and they had an xs harness in the same style as the collar he is happily wearing now. Sadly it wont last until he is fully grown, but they have larger options that are similar. And they are really cute.

I havent put it on him yet, but fingers crossed it may work :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
oooo, yes i love the harnest, cause in my cause randy wont get out and he is safely secure. i think its much safer too, unless your chi doesnt struggle or trys to slip out.
take a pic of your chi in his new harnest for us please? id like to see how happy he's trotting about. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a video of him in the "how do i stop my puppy being so evil" thread. You can see he has his suede collar on (filmed this morning). But as of yet I havent tried the harness as its after lunch nap time now,so I am enjoying a bit of relaxation lol :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts