Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope is still so small and it is so cold here that we have not gone for a walk yet. Trying to get a harness or collar and a lead ordered for her.

My brother claims that his little poodles MUCH prefer the mesh harness to a collar around the neck and I should go that direction.

So before we get a collar or harness, do you have an opinion on which you and your babies prefer for walks?

Thanks so much!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Harness every time,don't feel safe with a collar it's so easy to slip off,if she's really tiny have you looked at cat harnesses & leads

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a pink (but trimmed with black so that my sweet husband will still maintain some dignity) mesh one picked out and a black lead. I will get her the XXS and the XS so that way she can wear the XXS as it warms up and the XS when she is a big girl!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Harness for sure! We only use collars for potty and to hold their name tags if they get lost. Harness is so much better for them! We were just at Petco yesterday and saw cute little puppy harness! It was pink too I almost bought it for our new puppy in the future because it was too cute lol I didn't though booo lol Hope is so darn cute really! Love that little pic of her!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Mine all have harnesses for walking collar for everyday wear with their tags on it in case they get lost prada got out of 2 collars and ran away harness she hasn't got out of

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Definitely do a harness, if you ever need to pull her away from something, a collar can damage her neck, whereas a harness more evenly and safely distributes the pressure of being pulled back. She should still wear a collar though with identifying tags on it, but never walk her with the leash attached to that.

You will want to get her used to the harness before she ever has her first walk, just let her wear it around the house :) Then when she is comfortable, attach a leash to it and let her drag that around behind her for awhile. She will be much more ready to enjoy her walk if she isn't afraid of the harness and leash, or uncomfortable in it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great post. Our new chi hates the leash and is very quick so we need to do something.. I'm going to try and find a cute harness for him :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts